TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

I'll miss X-Flight, but as said before, the park won't loose too much because of this. However, if Geauga wants to survive, they better focus on some family oriented rides and attractions because that's the big thing in this region. Now in my best Al Capone (Robert De Niro) voice you aint got the family attractions, you aint got a thing lol

I believe WOF would be a good fit for this ride. Kansas City is on the rise in the entertainment industry. Next year an arena is opening and will more than likely have an NHL team come with it. Schlitterbahn will be opening a new year-round park next to the racetrack that will probably take over as the best waterpark in the world. Legoland is strongly considering building a park 30 miles southwest of WOF. WOF attendance had a strong spike this year with the addition of Patriot. Kansas City is going to have a huge increase in vacationers over the next 3-5 years and CF has an opportunity to be in on the action. WOF is my home park so I am bias towards it, but I even can recognize that we are only a potential good park and still need some high thrill rides to be a major attraction. I think CF would be smart to beef up WOF's ride selection. Transporting this high dollar ride to WOF makes great sense and would not cost nearly as much as starting a new ride from scratch.

With all of that said, I still would put WOF as third on the list to get X-Flight. The two front runners in my mind would have to be MiA and PKI. They both could use a new attraction more than WOF.

great now CF going to screw up another good coaster with their so called retracking a.k.a butchering

I thought that villain was a really great ride, and was my only reason i would consider going back seeing as they have a SLC, rough B&M, rough vekoma flyer, rough arrow, etc

Too bad, i just hope they dont kill it

^^What about a coaster less than a year old that was partially re-tracked? Now THAT's sad!

Voyage... that's Sad and just plain wrong! I'd be screaming Warranty issues or something. Not even a year old and needs reworked. If I owned that, I'd be furious.

I wonder if Villains retracking is going to have a trim added to first drop. I hope not.

great now CF going to screw up another good coaster with their so called retracking a.k.a butchering

I don't know about that. They seemed to have done a really good job with Ghostrider's retracking this year. On top of that, Blue Streak was great after it got retracked. I heard Raging Wolf Bobs is a lot better since being retracked.

I don't know where the rumor came that they don't know how to retrack a ride. I just think they don't do it often enough to keep them all rideable.

Mean Streak and Hercules were a different story. They were tearing themselves apart and they had to do something to make them regularly operable, thus the "butchering" I wish they would send Mean Streak the same way as Hercules.

Voyage... that's Sad and just plain wrong! I'd be screaming Warranty issues or something. Not even a year old and needs reworked. If I owned that, I'd be furious.

It was just a partial retracking.

http://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2006/11/and-for-this-we-give-thanks.html

They didn't redo the entire ride. Remember that the Voyage is extremely massive for a woodie, and it has a lot of twists and turns at high speeds. I think Holiday World knew what they were getting themselves into with it, and they are more than capabable of keeping their flagship ride running in top form. I'm glad that they are willing to go to such lengths for the benefit of the ride.

They probably would have gotten a much lower maintenance ride had they done one of those fancy Intamin woodies. But, that probably wasn't in the budget. So, they adopted a "pay later" strategy.

M&V actually does very good work, this will probably be a really good thing for the ride.

i was really referring to Timberwolf becasue i thaought they kind of screwed that one up, so im just kind of mad because i dont know if they will screw up a good woody, or make it more fun.

Im just crossing my fingers they dont add trims

LOL!!!!! I think they retracked it and gave it square wheels!!!! The track didn't look bad at all, the trains were the worst thing on it.

^^What about a coaster less than a year old that was partially re-tracked? Now THAT's sad!

I wonder if Villains retracking is going to have a trim added to first drop. I hope not.

I rode in May and in August - it didnt need a retrack. I see it as preventative maintenance. If youve ridden, you would know that it will age alot faster. PTC's are VERY mean to tracking, dont care if you are GCI (Wildcat and Gwazi). So it matters not.

Im betting that HW saw a few small problems and instead of BEING like CF or SF and waiting 5 years, why not do some quick retracking?

Plus, I dont think it was that much work. It was like 1100ft of track in just 7 weeks. Thats pretty quick. It seemed to take alot longer to retrack parts of Raven over last winter and it didnt seem like nearly 750ft of track. It was basically just the turn over the lake and the bottom of the 5th drop.

Plus, Im sure itll wear better and better each year. That original wood took a BEATING that first year. Each year the cars and other parts of the track break in, itll wear better and better. But its no ones fault but the PTC's.

Partial retracking or not, it's still wrong for them to have to pay for it.

If you bought a new car for 50,000 bucks and within 6 months you needed new CV joints, would you pay for them? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I dunno what their arrangement with the builder/designer is. How do you even know that they did pay for it? The blog entry doesn't say anything about that.

Your comparison to a car doesn't quite fit. Cars are mass manufactured by the thousands. Roller coasters are custom designed and contructed. The Voyage is a bleeding edge design that really pushes the limits of what wood can do. It's far easier to stress test something out in a lab like a CV joint than a $6.5 million roller coaster. They can't just build a test model or anything. The coaster IS the prototype.

It would be nice to have more comfortable trains but regardless... Villain is absoultely awesome when it runs to its full potential. My first rides were night rides the summer that it opened, and I swore it would be my #1 coaster forever... until I went back the following year and it beat the crap out of me.

I think its great news that they are actually trying to restore it. At least they're not packing it up and shipping it off.