TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Hi, this is Wes. You may know me from my somewhat frequent postings on here.

Let me just break down everything that happened:

Over the weekend, my girlfriend and I went up to visit Robb and Elissa. At some point the conversation turned this very thread, which I admittedly hadn't been paying attention to. I read the thread and got the lowdown on savethebigdipper.org and their "plans", so to speak. I thought it was pretty amusing.

I personally have no strong feelings about the issue. I've never ridden the Big Dipper, and if Kat and New Zealand guy want to make their goal to resurrect this puppy, more power to them. Personally, I'd love to see the money go to more noble causes, but people are free to do with their money and free time as they wish. Most of the humor came out of the fact they were blatant in asking for donations without much anything in place. I mean, that first website was pretty tremendously horrible. Establishing a presence on Facebook or Twitter would have been a more logical first step than throwing up those pages. Their new site is certainly a step up, but when your entire plan revolves around asking people to send their money to YOU, it would be my top priority to present my business or project in a professional manner. I think this is most people's issue with their project as well, and I don't think we need to dwell on this much more. I have no ill feelings towards Kat or the New Zealand guy.

As for "Prince Desmond"...

On Tuesday, Robb pointed out that the .ORG people had no purchased the .COM domain, and he snatched it up and wanted to do something funny/wacky with it. We bounced a couple ideas off each other ("Save The Big Dipper...FROM ALIENS!!!!") until I came up with a sort of parody of a Nigerian 419 scam email. I fired up Dreamweaver and threw together an absolute travesty of HTML in about 20 minutes. Even as I was creating this, I thought I was going way too over-the-top and most users would click it, either chuckle or roll their eyes and move on. I never expected anyone to take it seriously, I mean there's a GIF of cats dancing and C&C Music Factory playing! It was just supposed to be silly, merely poking fun at the "professionalism/asking for money gap" I saw in the initial .org site. We even had disclaimers on all three pages that pointed out this was a parody. Prince Desmond was supposed to be an overly enthusiastic but dumb goof, and it was never my intent that his character was actually mocking Kat/NZ guy. He was more a parody of the 419 emails than anything else.

I uploaded the site, set up a Twitter for the Prince Desmond character, and went about the rest of my evening.

Well, it seemed to explode overnight. We had some people with some Google and Facebook ad credit that went to the "fake" ads, like Robb said, he didn't spend much on those. The Facebook page got set up, and then it was like a giant tornado of posts on here, posts on various other forums, tweets, Facebook posts, getting called a "Scam", seeing Robb called every four-letter name in the book, etc. etc.

I was working most of yesterday, and didn't have much time to check in on the whole, so when I got home, all I could think was "I created a MONSTER". I was amused by the varying reactions, although honestly...I was shocked people thought it was a scam or something malicious. It was a joke. I created it as a joke. I can understand people thinking it wasn't funny (we all have different senses of humor...won't deny that), but the vitriol towards it was astounding.

And today, waking up and seeing the fake Robb twitter accounts, etc, I felt like I was way out of my league. When I posted as Prince Desmond (keep in mind, not everything posted under the guise was done by myself) even when we were met with criticism or complaints, I tried to stay humorous and light hearted. It was fun to try to come up with dumb things for PD to ask or request. I would like the think the majority of the people understood that it was a joke. But again, the amount of mud slinging (directed at Robb obviously) over the past day has put me in an uncomfortable place for something I thought would get laughed off in 12 hours. I don't necessarily agree with everything Robb has posted in this thread on the matter, but I believe we're on the same page on the weird response this joke has gotten, especially with regards to how the .org people responded.

So, yeah. That's basically it from my end. If you guys have any questions, let me know. I hope some of you enjoyed it. I had my fun.

Also, if the savethebigdipper.org are reading this, I will make you a deal. I get paid tomorrow, and I will donate $50 to your cause. That's my way of burying the hatchet. No strings attached. I will do this regardless.

What would be great is if you guys would maybe put up a link to donate to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation on your site. Nothing big or fancy, just a link to donate to CFF. This is a foundation that is very near and dear to my heart. If there's anything that's "truly" worthy giving money to as far as worthy causes go, this is it.

http://www.cff.org/GetInvolved/ManyWaysToGive/MakeADonation/

Thank you, or as Prince Desmond would say MUCH APPRECIATION FOR READING THIS LONG POST OF WORDS

-- Wes

Everything

Really glad to see despite all the monkey poo flinging going that someone has the class to post something like that. Seriously, I don't know you, and I probably never will, but I have immense respect for you now after that post. In honor of the $50 you donated to the Big Dipper cause, I've just donated a $50 gift to CFF.

Thank you for showing that despite the craziness that can happen online, good people still exist out there.

-Jon "Having faith in the internet again" Roost

All I have to say is the past few days have been fantasticly fun (and funny) and I hope the new owners have taken notes and will put those notes to good use, otherwise, they will just continue to set themselves up for tremendous failure and the end result will be the same as if they wouldn't have bought the darn thing.

so to Wes and Robb, many many thanks for the entertainment, I will now be changing my bank accounts, credit cards, paypal password, drivers license, and social sercurity number

Edited by chadster

Thank you, or as Prince Desmond would say MUCH APPRECIATION FOR READING THIS LONG POST OF WORDS

-- Wes

Wes-

Thank you for creating what was one of the funniest and most interesting threads on TPR in a long time....Thanks to cablevision for giving me $50.00 free in google adwords. Thanks to Rob (never a second b, ever again) for tipping me off to the project. Is TPR available for hire when I need to launch a new media campaign? This should be added to a college course on new media.

Chris "Gonna Make You Sweat" Onnolly

Edited to mention all the Google ads cost a grand total of $3.56...

Edited by Chroniq

Well said Wes. And really, it's a shame you felt you had to post that. Because after all, it's just a joke. Is there a place to donate to "helping find senses of humor for people that don't have one?"

--Robb

Very well said, Wes. While I won't be giving money to save the Big Dipper (although I wish them luck), I have given to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

As for the cause you mentioned, Robb, just send your money to me. I'll see that it goes to the right place.

I heard about this thread on this site, and decided to drop by. I heard that it was not the thread itself that was so amusing, but some of the morons who post on here. I see quite a few losers with nothing better to do. Isnt there a dungeons and dragons tournament that you go to? This thread is so pathetic, bashing others for doing something they feel strongly about. I did find entertainment in seeing through the eyes of losers. I knew I was in for some entertainment when the admins photo is a picture of himself dressed like Hans from the Burbs standing next to the Star Wars Wampa (or maybe that is the monster from that xmas movie). Then you make up a fraudulent website. If I were the real owners of that donation site, I would file a lawsuit. By the way, update this site's appearance. It looks like it is from 1998. And some of you say your industry veterans. What a joke. If that were true, you would know of the importance of GL, and the BD. I am pretty sure it was one of the countries oldest parks, and the coaster is also one of the oldest. Any "industry vet" would know that and the importance of what is happening. All I see here is a bunch of teenage zit faced nerds, who do not have girlfriends. And I was not even a GL customer for the last 20+ years. Lets see if this gets removed and I am banned. That will prove everything I said is accurate. See you all at the D and D convention!

I heard about this thread on this site, and decided to drop by. I heard that it was not the thread itself that was so amusing, but some of the morons who post on here. I see quite a few losers with nothing better to do. Isnt there a dungeons and dragons tournament that you go to? This thread is so pathetic, bashing others for doing something they feel strongly about. I did find entertainment in seeing through the eyes of losers. I knew I was in for some entertainment when the admins photo is a picture of himself dressed like Hans from the Burbs standing next to the Star Wars Wampa (or maybe that is the monster from that xmas movie). Then you make up a fraudulent website. If I were the real owners of that donation site, I would file a lawsuit. By the way, update this site's appearance. It looks like it is from 1998. And some of you say your industry veterans. What a joke. If that were true, you would know of the importance of GL, and the BD. I am pretty sure it was one of the countries oldest parks, and the coaster is also one of the oldest. Any "industry vet" would know that and the importance of what is happening. All I see here is a bunch of teenage zit faced nerds, who do not have girlfriends. And I was not even a GL customer for the last 20+ years. Lets see if this gets removed and I am banned. That will prove everything I said is accurate. See you all at the D and D convention!

Sour grapes never tasted so good!

Anyway, what would those people sue for? Are you really that f***ing stupid to think they have any grounds for a lawsuit?

Lets see if this gets removed and I am banned. That will prove I really am an idiot who has nothing better to do than register for a Web site just to make a flame post. See you all at the D and D convention!

Fixed.

^No kidding. If the ride itself was so special, why didn't the locals support it while they could?

Edited by cfc

Maybe when I moved back the park was closed. Morons. I need to go now. I'm going to spend some time creating a fake website like some of the losers here. Come by for a visit. It is called themeparkreview.org. This site looks like it took about 10 minutes to build. I will have it up in 5. Sounds like alot of sour grapes about my post. I like that.

I'm sorry, what exactly is happening again? I think I missed some details. If you don't mind elaborating a bit more, it would really help all of us.

I put on my robe and wizard hat.