TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Yeah, the new site is still incredibly vague. I can't see why any reasonable person would send these people money. This is all pretty silly until they can come up with a park that's interested in this coaster. They'd be more credible if they at least had a detailed plan to move this pile of rotten lumber into storage.

I think I'd rather set my money on fire at this point. At least it would provide some heat.

This whole thing just keeps getting better! This has easily become one of my favorite threads just for the pure hilarity that keeps developing. I quickly glanced at the "new" website today at work but didn't realize there were now bios of the "directors". Priceless! Someone who is 25 and likes history and someone who lives in New Zealand, is busy with other things but may answer some emails and has never actually ridden a wooden coaster. I mean, this almost doesn't seem real!

[The Not-Flight-of-the-Conchords New Zealander] is hoping his first ever wooden coaster will be on the Big Dipper in it’s new home.

Since this guy has never ever ridden a woodie, especially one as old as Big Dipper, he must have absolutely no idea what he's saving. I haven't ridden it myself, but if what has been said is true, then one ride and he'll realize that those thousands of excess dollars he had laying around would have been put to better use building a kitten chariot arena.

While he has not been able to involve himself fully because of his location and other obligations, he contributes to the project in any way that he can, such as answering e-mails and questions.

Hahahahahahahaha.

Man, "answering e-mails". How does this guy find time to sleep?

I donated $1 just to see if the total donations would automatically increase on the website. It did not.

This whole thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker. They were all up in arms about opening a year-long haunted house in town. They came up to me and asked me, "Hey, do you want to be in on this venture?" I asked, "Show me your business plan first." They then said, "Huh?"

I've been following this thread recently as I support preserving the classic roller coasters andI'm having trouble finding the link to donate on their site.

We might not have Pepsi money, but I'm ready to make a nice sized donation.

Can someone checkout http://www.savethebigdipper.com and post a link to their paypal link?

Chris "Forget all these Haters" Connolly

Working at SFGAm this summer, I overheard that about 90% of Little Dipper was new wood. I'm not sure if that's a good figure but for sure there's a lot of new wood in it. Really all that's left from Kiddieland is the train, the station, and the sign. Rebuilding this coaster was no small task for Six Flags. For Six Flags. A giant in the industry.

It's obvious why no big park would buy the BIG Dipper. These kinds of things are just too costly, and to what benefit? Yes it's nostalgic, but a big part of the nostalgia was Geauga Lake itself, and that's gone, period. You don't need every bolt and board to keep the nostalgia alive. Why not just buy the train and let the wood get bulldozed? That's probably what would happen anyway! And it would cost less (but likely not cheap).

Kat and Nick, you're nice people (we have met once), but I think this plan is going to put you in debt for life. Don't be afraid to give up.

Members of Theme Park Review -

While I realize the last 15 pages in this thread have been posts that heavily criticized the efforts by the "Save the Big Dipper" organization due to their lack of industry experience or an apparent plan of action, I am pleased to announce that we have received new information from a source that we can now fully endorse.

I would like to extend a full apology to anyone we may have offended who is involved with the project and we feel that we can now support Prince Desmond and his effort to Save the Big Dipper. All the information can be found on his official website:

http://www.savethebigdipper.com

Thank you Prince Desmond. This is something the readers of Theme Park Review can 100% get behind.

--Robb Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

re-posted due to its awesomeness. I mean, c'mon, an animated .gif cat, pictures of the wrong Big Dipper(s), and the necessity to highlight text to actually read it? My favorite prank in a long time, for sure. A nice throwback to the pavesfmm, 41190 and other awesome sites

I salute whoever did that

Honestly, I got more of a chuckle of the spoon and John Hamm....plus the oh-so-subtle "URL not found" when trying to click on their "Plans"