TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

From frustration to flat out mocking? Unless I missed something, I don't think either of the "principles" of this "project" have stopped in asking for help or to tell off the doubters, have they? The piling on seems as silly as the way that this group has started their labor of love.

Are there a lot of instances of a coaster, specifically wood, being deconstructed ... stored for some amount of time ... then rebuilt years later? I read up on the Kiddieland Little Dipper move, and I wondered how it would have gone if someone had haphazardly taken it down and crammed it in a warehouse for several years first (and, yes, I realize the Big Dipper is a bit different in terms of sheer size/layout etc).

Anyway, would be interesting to hear directly from the people (who aren't hiding behind some loose affiliation or secret plans) in terms of what their gameplan is. Seems strange to be so secretive about any details (assuming, I guess, that they really do have a solid plan/experienced support etc).

Little Dipper was almost completely rebuilt with all new lumber. Not to mention Six Flags came in, took it down, and rebuild it. Not just some construction company with volunteers and CF dictating terms.

I'm sorry but this is not going to end well.

This thread is nothing but hilarious. I read the dateline and my first reaction was "What were they THINKING!?"

This was a knee jerk reaction. You guys have good intentions but you're just doing nothing. The thing should have been torn down and the trains and some parts of the track donated to other places.

I get a big kick about people slamming a project with out even knowing the details. I also find it funny that people say " they should have given the money to a real charity" !!! I have an idea!! All of you that buy tickets to parks and have season passes not get them next year and give all the money to charity? It is the same thing as " how can you think of roller coasters when there is so much bad stuff happening in the world?" There has to be a place to go to relax and forget about the bad things. For me it is at an amusement park. A lady and a gentleman have spent their own money to do something good. All you people want to do is tear them down. A while back there was this park in Sandusky Ohio that was on the brink of failure. There was a plan set forth to shut the park down and put housing on that property. A person stopped it and went on running the park on limited means for a few years and than it started to prosper. And now it is the Cedar point you all know and love. And now, you know the rest of the story. These people did a good thing and you would think that "enthusiasts" like the people on here would want to support people like this? However you want to stay back and hide behind your computers and bash people that want to take a chance and do something good. man the things we wouldn't have if people didn't take chances!!!

^ Except your argument fails in that the whole objective of this "project" is to rebuild Dipper. You have to know how to take I down in order to put it up. You have to find a place to put it up. You have to find someone that wants it put back up on their property, then maintain it, insure it, etc, etc.

If it was a good idea one of the corporate park management companies would have jumped on this two years ago.

Assuming ffejie is talking about George Boeckling, there's a huge difference between an smart business man who knew how to promote the place versus someone who "has a fair idea of what's going on and provides advice and suggestions as and when his spare time permits." (Quoted from their website) Boeckling also razed the Racer in 1929, not rebuild it with unskilled labor and pickup trucks.

Think about the task at hand for just a minute. How do you go about disassembling several hundred thousand board feet of lumber? You're certainly not going to do that with volunteers. Semi trucks ain't cheap. Neither are rental cranes, skilled carpenters, surveyors, etc. It's like so many people have been saying in this thread - show us how, not just that you're going to.

I get a big kick about people slamming a project with out even knowing the details. I also find it funny that people say " they should have given the money to a real charity" !!! I have an idea!! All of you that buy tickets to parks and have season passes not get them next year and give all the money to charity? It is the same thing as " how can you think of roller coasters when there is so much bad stuff happening in the world?" There has to be a place to go to relax and forget about the bad things. For me it is at an amusement park. A lady and a gentleman have spent their own money to do something good. All you people want to do is tear them down. A while back there was this park in Sandusky Ohio that was on the brink of failure. There was a plan set forth to shut the park down and put housing on that property. A person stopped it and went on running the park on limited means for a few years and than it started to prosper. And now it is the Cedar point you all know and love. And now, you know the rest of the story. These people did a good thing and you would think that "enthusiasts" like the people on here would want to support people like this? However you want to stay back and hide behind your computers and bash people that want to take a chance and do something good. man the things we wouldn't have if people didn't take chances!!!

First of all, the lady and gentleman you're talking about have openingly said that they have never rode the coaster before and one of them lives in New Zealand.

Second of all, the guy who planned on bringing Cedar Point back from the brink of failure pretty much told everyone in the news on how he was going to bring back the park. You aren't comparing apples to apples here. You are talking about renovating a park being compared with moving a roller coaster. Also, these "enthusiests" you're talking about aren't idiots and know the process on what would need to be done with moving a coaster.

Simply put, every coaster doesn't need to be saved, only the ones that are widely known and have some historic value and being 6th oldest does not count. Heck! If Dorney Park wanted to bulldoze Thunderhawk tomorrow, I would be all for it. The ride is the roughest coaster I've ever been on and I believe that it's not really worth saving just because it is 2 years older than Big Dipper.

I get a big kick about people slamming a project with out even knowing the details.

This is bogus. It's not our fault the people involved have done such a horrible job of promoting the project. If they want us to take them seriously and possibly get donations, it's up to them to show us that they've got a good plan.

Face it: Any schmuck can put up a website that looks like it was designed by a drunk 5-year-old. Hell, I'm sure there are drunk 5-year-olds with better webdev skills.

Edited by ginzo

I get a big kick about people slamming a project with out even knowing the details.

Well, since the plans are all "sekret" and involve some sort of blood ritual to allow them to be revealed to the True Believers, and all we really have to go on is a website that Geocities would have been embarrassed to host in 1995, what do you realistically expect?

And if you cannot see the difference between a businessman taking over a park with a realistic plan (and MONEY) and a plan that involves getting random enthusiasts to borrow mom's car and come out to use their hammers on a wooden structure that would require very careful planning, specialized equipment, and MONEY to do properly, then I'm not sure what else anyone can say. Personally, I find this to be the most amusing thing to go on in the theme park world since Hard Rock Scam, err Park was "operating". Keep the laughs coming, please!

dt