TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

In my eyes, they took advantage of an opportunity to eliminate a competitor with a long-term vision of selling most of the land for a profit while saving a small amount to build a large water park.

Of course, the joke's on them as far as flipping the land goes. Gonna be a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time before they can get a decent amount of cash for it. The real estate market in that part of Ohio is in shambles.

I believe Double Loop was the first coaster with consecutive back-to-back loops (just ahead of Schwarzkopf's Shockwave), which makes it's closing just a little bit sadder to me - a little piece of coaster history gone.

Double Loop was definitely one of my "guilty pleasures." While my coaster friends didn't care for it much before/after doing Villain, Double Loop was a must for me, because it was intense in some areas, but smooth in others. Not really painful IMO. Knowing its age, I never thought that Double Loop would live to be relocated elsewhere. Awful, but inevitable.

I'm convinced that CF took on this property for the sole purpose of eliminate the competition.

AND to also purchase new attractions for their other parks at a GREAT price.

How many other Cedar Fair parks have now benefited from the attractions removed at Geauga Lake? Quite a few it would seem. Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park, Kings Dominion, Great America, etc, etc....

I'm convinced this was the plan from day one when they bought the park. I'm guessing the only reason why they didn't shut it down immediately was they probably had a lot of contracts to fulfil and it was probably cheaper to operate it as a park for a few seasons than it would have been to break any commitments they had going.

--Robb

I'm convinced that CF took on this property for the sole purpose of eliminate the competition.

AND to also purchase new attractions for their other parks at a GREAT price.

How many other Cedar Fair parks have now benefited from the attractions removed at Geauga Lake? Quite a few it would seem. Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure, Dorney Park, Kings Dominion, Great America, etc, etc....

I'm convinced this was the plan from day one when they bought the park. I'm guessing the only reason why they didn't shut it down immediately was they probably had a lot of contracts to fulfil and it was probably cheaper to operate it as a park for a few seasons than it would have been to break any commitments they had going.

--Robb

Yep, that is a very logical argument. And when you have multi-million dollar coasters like Dominator and Steel Venom on your hands, it even makes sense. (Not that I would try to justify their actions...)

Well, this is indeed a sad event. I grew up in NE Ohio going to Idora Park, Conneaut Lake Park and Geauga Lake. Now all three are gone. My Avatar pic was taken on the Double Loop in the 70s.

But as I've said before - the demise of Geauga Lake (and Conneaut Lake Park) has much more to do with the economy of NE Ohio/NW PA than with either Six Flags or CF's ownership. Geauga Lake was a company picnic park for decades - it was empty unless it was Saturday (same with Conneaut and Idora). Now with most of the industries dried up in NE Ohio/NW PA, those company picnics no longer exist. That meant that Geauga Lake had to sustain itself on its own reputation.

FYI, I escaped Ohio in 1982 when the area had an unemployment rate of over 27%. Most of my family that worked in the steel industry lost their jobs in the 70s when the mills and factories closed. The fortunate got jobs and the GM plant in Lordstown or the Packard Electric Plant in Warren. The area has never recovered.

SF came in and tried to make it another flagship park. But, it quickly suffered from SF's hideous management style - minimal staff, single train operations and long lines. It quickly got a terrible reputation. Most of my family members refused to go back to Geauga after their first visit under SF ownership because it was run so poorly. It was no longer a family friendly atmosphere (picnic areas closed, mandatory admission cost) and why spend the same amount of money as CP and get in less rides?

As to CF's ulterior motives, I think CF also quickly realized that Geauga Lake was simply not going to draw the attendance needed to sustain it. IMO, if Dorney didn't have the waterpark included in the price of admission, Dorney would quickly close for the same reasons (Dorney is empty except for Saturdays).

I vaguely remember Double Loop from my trip to SFWOA when I was, like, 9. But that was a long time ago, and I didn't ride it (or any coaster there for that matter) because back then I was extremely afraid of coasters.

Look at his past auctions and you'll see the idiots that paid hundreds for park signs and banners.

Maybe Disney banners but LOL at SF banners.

I'm going to take a picture of some old rusted nuts & bolts and list them on ebay and say they came off Thunderhead. If he can make $10 on nuts & bolts then why can't i?

If I ever rode the coaster I would prolly buy the bolt, it's a cool thing to have on a shelf somewhere.

How do you even know it's a bolt from the coaster?

I could go to any random construction site and pick up some random rusty bolts. They would look just like these one's.

The track section you might be able to actually pass off as a part from a coaster. But show some people those bolts and they'd think you're crazy. Just a couple of rusty old bolts.

If I ever rode the coaster I would prolly buy the bolt, it's a cool thing to have on a shelf somewhere.

How do you even know it's a bolt from the coaster?

I could go to any random construction site and pick up some random rusty bolts. They would look just like these one's.

The track section you might be able to actually pass off as a part from a coaster. But show some people those bolts and they'd think you're crazy. Just a couple of rusty old bolts.

From past auctions and such i'd believe it. And if not I could get my money back using ebay claims and such, it's not to hard.

From past auctions and such i'd believe it. And if not I could get my money back using ebay claims and such, it's not to hard.

But what about the fact that they're just rusty old bolts?

You'd really pay $10 for something that you could get from home depot for 5 cents?

But what about the fact that they're just rusty old bolts?

You'd really pay $10 for something that you could get from home depot for 5 cents?

If it had centemental value then sure would. I have a peice of concrete from Veterans Stadium after it was demolished. Picked it up for 10 bucks, and was sure happy i did. That place has tons of memories of me growing up watching the Phillies and Eagles, and now i atleast have a peice of it with me instead of looking at the parking lot where it used to stand. It's just a neat thing to have, and so would a peice like this is RWB was my first coaster, or from my home park, exc. It doesn't seem that weird to me.