TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

The whole situation is similar to what happened with here with in Newcastle involving Metroland. Only a small handful 'properly' cared about the park UNTIL it was closed down. All of a sudden, everyone started to bitch about how inconsiderate the owners are and such.

Yeah, its a shame its gone but you have to ask yourself if the good points out-weight the bad. You can say whatever you want about them but if the park was such a great place, it would be making them money. I can see why Cedar fair told them to 'Put your money where your mouth is' because they knew and ACE knew it wasn't worth it in the long run.

Unfortunately, I can only see this thing being bulldozed to the ground.

Cedar Fair took a 119 year old park that drew 2.1 million visitors in 2004 and took it down to ( supposedly ) 700,000 visitors. They removed the entire animal side, removed coasters and did not fix any that broke.

But as bad as that is, it is not as bad as the fact that management was asked at the park, " Will the ride side be open in 2008" and they lied.

If you look at how this was handled, Cedar Fair bought Geauga Lake to close it. It was too close to Cedar Point. That is why Cedar Fair is not going to let anyone put a park on that land. This issue is a thorn in Cedar Fairs side and it is not going away. Kennywood has seen this and is advertising in the Cleveland area heavily. Many of us are staying away from Cedar Fair parks. As for the Big Dipper. ACE may have been offered a free coaster. But with no place to put it, that is useless. Cedar Fair will not sell the land to ACE. If the Big Dipper were to stay on site people would be reminded of what Cedar Fair did.

And what the heck would they do with it seeing as they don't own or operate any amusement parks?

Receive funds through overpriced events, all while continuing to promise to re-build it until all founding members have completely traveled the world, and/or reached an age at which they could not physically ride anymore using said funds. I believe that's in the ACE mission statement somewhere.

There is Free and then there is "Free". Wasn't the Texas Cyclone offered for free as well?

"Free" does not mean it would not cost money. How much in labor, insurance and storage would be incurred? Quite a bit more than the Museum fund has.

I think Cedar Fair is looking for a cheaper alternative for demo costs considering the timing.

It's Cedar Fairs call on whatever the ultimate fate awaits for the Big Dipper. I can't blame ACE for this one.

Receive funds through overpriced events, all while continuing to promise to re-build it until all founding members had completely traveled the world, and/or reached an age at which they could not physically ride anymore using said funds. I believe that's in the ACE mission statement somewhere.

And that's not even the worst of it. I think the real reason to not join ACE is those frighteningly ugly blue nylon jackets half the members wear. UGH! 1982 called. It wants its style back.

Here's an article on the auction today. Big Dipper was sold for $5,000 to an unknown buyer.

Here's the best part:

American Coaster Enthusiasts, a group dedicated to riding and celebrating roller coasters, had hoped that The Big Dipper would become the centerpiece of any re-development of the 600-acre park, either next to a mall-like development or as part of a residential development.

Just before the 1926 roller coaster was auctioned off, Norton told the crowd that Cedar Fair had offered the American Coaster Enthusiasts the ride.

"That's false," a voice from the crowd piped up. The voice belonged to Russell Township resident Carole Sanderson, an ACE past-president.

"Get that woman out of here. Security, remove her from the park," Norton shouted back.

She was not removed and the auction went forward.

"It's a shame," Sanderson said afterwards. "(ACE) has never been offered the ride. Norton may be saying that but it's not true."

This is so weird. Why does ACE say it wasn't offered to the group for free? And why does the auction group say it offered it to ACE? Who's right here? What's going on?

Also, Carole Sanderson has the crazy.

WKYC TV blog is running a story that says ACE is disputing the offer.

This looks like another Cedar Fair lie to cover the bad press that they are getting over this here in Cleveland. Looks like the ACE vice president was almost thrown out of the auction when she disputed the auctioneers statement about the offer.

This story is going to have legs.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=91687&catid=45

Here's an article on the auction today. Big Dipper was sold for $5,000 to an unknown buyer.

Here's the best part:

American Coaster Enthusiasts, a group dedicated to riding and celebrating roller coasters, had hoped that The Big Dipper would become the centerpiece of any re-development of the 600-acre park, either next to a mall-like development or as part of a residential development.

Just before the 1926 roller coaster was auctioned off, Norton told the crowd that Cedar Fair had offered the American Coaster Enthusiasts the ride.

"That's false," a voice from the crowd piped up. The voice belonged to Russell Township resident Carole Sanderson, an ACE past-president.

"Get that woman out of here. Security, remove her from the park," Norton shouted back.

She was not removed and the auction went forward.

"It's a shame," Sanderson said afterwards. "(ACE) has never been offered the ride. Norton may be saying that but it's not true."

This is so weird. Why does ACE say it wasn't offered to the group for free? And why does the auction group say it offered it to ACE? Who's right here? What's going on?

Also, Carole Sanderson has the crazy.

^Maybe ACE doesn't want their members to know they turned down a coaster that would have been demolished if not bought. Since ACE didn't get the coaster, and had it not been bought resulting in its demolition, some members might think that ACE went against its mission. However, the coaster was saved, and hopefully the new owners can take care of it.

V I reread it, and yeah, it doesn't make much sense. I just worded my thoughts poorly.

[

^Maybe ACE doesn't want their members to know they turned down a coaster that would have been demolished if not bought. Since ACE didn't get the coaster, and had it not been bought resulting in its demolition, some members might think that ACE went against its mission. However, the coaster was saved, and hopefully the new owners can take care of it.

That does not make any sense. There is one fact that can be proven right now.

ACE bid for the land. They put their money where their mouth is.

So why would ACE refuse the coaster and then bid for the land?

Cedar Fair has lied about Geauga Lake for the past 2 years.

CF is getting bad press from this and just want to put the best face on it that they can.

I am not an ACE member. But now I think I'm going to join.

I had heard rumors of this but don't have proof, maybe we will hear more about this later. (ACE bidding on the land)

Everyone complains about the lack of a museum but ACE had a deal worked out with PKI for space for a museum in the park as a start until a more permanent location was selected and Cedar Fair pulled the plug on that also.

So I do not doubt that Cedar Fair is playing games again.

Edit: Here is Proof

"Carole Sanderson, chief financial officer of Herschman Architects in Cleveland and a past president of the American Coaster Enthusiasts, had been working with developers to try to buy the Big Dipper and the property around it. Her group was one of four groups to submit sealed bids for more than 500 acres of amusement park property being sold separately by Cedar Fair."

I think the ride was offered to ACE, but ACE wanted the land it sat on....

Thats why nobody knows there was an offer by CF.. I am guessing that CF offered the coaster and told them to move it... ACE wanted CF to give them about 10 acreas of land around the coaster.

In other news about the auction.

http://blog.cleveland.com/plaindealer/2008/06/big_dipper_attracts_tentative.html Tom Woosnam, who works for Apex Western Machinery Movers, an Akron company that moves amusement rides, bought the coaster Tuesday for $5,000 for a buyer he declined to identify.

The same bidder bought the Bobs and its maintenance shop for $2500. By

the way, a pile of rocks sold for $3000! The ride relocator refused to

talk about plans for the coaster.

Villain sold for $30,000 and the looper sold for $23,000, both to a

Cleveland scrap dealer. The observation tower was also sold to be

scrapped.

Villain sold for $30,000 ... to a

Cleveland scrap dealer.

Wow, some of these CCI's really didn't last long, did they? MegaZeph, Myrtle Beach Hurricane, now Villain.

Are any of them even 10 years old?

--Robb

^ Ha! Good point. Those CCI's with Gerstlauer trains really didn't stand the test of time did they? How many of them are left? The Boss? Cheetah.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cheetah were the next to fall...

--Robb

^Nah, it was built in '96 with PTC trains.

Yeah, the only rides from that class of 2000 that still get good reviews are Legend and Boulder Dash, which... well I'll be damned... have PTC trains now!

It's a shame, 'cause at least Boss and Villain were both fantastic during their opening year.