TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Wow Kinzel does a spot on job of making himself sound like a total a$$.

How so? ACE seems to be so concerned about 'preserving' classic coasters and they were offered the chance to do so with this one. I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair did this to shut them up, as many of them were speaking out about saving the Big Dipper. Do you honestly think CF thought ACE was going to take it?

Putting so many restrictions on this park and it's sale and rides is being ridiculous.

CF could have handed them the coaster and said we will take it to wherever you need within 100 miles to be stored.

The businesses in this area I am sure would have been glad to help ACE out IF it was known! I know there were plenty of people beyond pissed that it was going away.

CF is being an a$$ about this whole park sale and auction, regardless if they offered Dipper for free. They still put restrictions on it! Seriously, they could have given it without restrictions to not be portrayed as a total jerk off company.

Sorry if I offended anyone here, this is my home park now and I am very upset about how all of this is going down.

Of course they weren't going to take it! The "museum" doesn't really exist and I don't personally believe it ever will. I remember working on a video for the promotion of the "museum" nearly 10 years ago now. I've yet to see any kind of a real plan for this museum that has made any sense or sheds any light of being a reality.

The ride will most likely be demolished. Yes, it's a "classic" but so many times when the business world meets the enthusiast world we are going to see this happen. And it does suck, but it's the unfortunate reality.

While I would like to see the ride saved as much as the next person, I guess I'm setting myself up for "worst case scenario" here.

I set an expectation that the ride will be demolished and if the off-chance that someone does come along and buys it and moves it, then that's even better!

I know it sounds like a pessimistic way of looking at things, but when you look at the industry's past history with trying to save rides, how you can you blame me.

I just hate to get my hopes up high for something that is probably not going to happen.

Here's the real question...every time I turn around they seem to be collecting money for this "museum." They have been collecting for YEARS. Where is all this money going? There is no "museum" and they can't seem to be able to even buy just ONE roller coaster? Hmm....

--Robb

PS. Why isn't anyone trying to save Villain? IMO, when that coaster was running well is was FAR better than Big Dipper....

^^Why should it be Cedar Fair's obligation to spend thousands of dollars to save a roller coaster they have no intention of operating? Offering the coaster for free (minus the expenses of deconstruction/transportation/storage) is a very nice gesture, since I would guess it will fetch at least a couple hundred grand at auction (someone will buy it for parts/scrap). They basically said "fine, you guys are all bitching so much, so put your money where your mouth is!"...And of course, ACE fell short. If the coaster was offered to ACE, why didn't ACE take the initiative to get the word out to people? It's not Cedar Fair's job to say "hey...we offered this to ACE."

Wow Kinzel does a spot on job of making himself sound like a total a$$.

Uhm...Kinzel isn't quoted in the article.

"It was made available to the American Coaster Enthusiasts, an association dedicated to roller coasters, a few weeks ago at no cost, other than dismantling, re-locating, and reassembling. They have not accepted that offer," Kinsey added.

Of course ACE hasn't accepted the offer. How else would their executive committee be able to afford all their "business" trips if they actually used the museum/preservation money for the museum and roller coaster preservation?

Here's the real question...every time I turn around they seem to be collecting money for this "museum." They have been collecting for YEARS. Where is all this money going? There is no "museum" and they can't seem to be able to even buy just ONE roller coaster? Hmm....

--Robb

They're not saving money for a museum, they're saving money to visit a buffet everyday of their lives!

I really don't think the museum will ever happen. They call themselves "perservers" of coasters, yeah right.

Is it likely for a Theme Park Review Amusement park? First coaster, The Big Dipper.

-Tatum

Honestly, I thought big dipper sucked. It was rough as hell and not really fun. Yes it was a classic, and I can respect that, and if anybody at that auction does too then I'm sure they'd pick it up.

As for ACE, yeah apparently a Python car is sitting in some guy's garage in Tampa. That's your museum right there, maybe you should ring him up and check out where all your money went.

Yeah, as nice as it would be to see Big Dipper be restored and sent to another park, I don't think it's going anywhere. It's a shame as I thought it was great when I rode it last year. But, oh well.

Of course ACE hasn't accepted the offer. How else would their executive committee be able to afford all their "business" trips if they actually used the museum/preservation money for the museum and roller coaster preservation?

This needs to be quoted because it totally sums up the situation. They've been collecting museum fund money for about ten years now (anyone know exactly when it started?). To date, zero progress. Yeah, it's so going to happen...

dt

I don't see it happening for one factor , $$.. ACE wanted the coaster only if they didn't have to move it. They wanted to keep it where it was and use one of the banquet halls for the so called museum ( something else thats not going to happen). ACE makes to much interest on all the money in the museum fund.

I really don't see ACE getting the Dipper. It is way to much money for them to invest in, taking down, moving and refurbishing the coaster will be at least a million $$ let alone you need a couple acres of land, all the zoning rights and insurance..

Somebody posted above about the Python car, its currently at the so called ACE Museum (back room at PTC).. The car was taken there last year and is on display when ACE has a get together at PTC along with all the other cars they have aquired....

The whole situation is similar to what happened with here with in Newcastle involving Metroland. Only a small handful 'properly' cared about the park UNTIL it was closed down. All of a sudden, everyone started to bitch about how inconsiderate the owners are and such.

Yeah, its a shame its gone but you have to ask yourself if the good points out-weight the bad. You can say whatever you want about them but if the park was such a great place, it would be making them money. I can see why Cedar fair told them to 'Put your money where your mouth is' because they knew and ACE knew it wasn't worth it in the long run.

Unfortunately, I can only see this thing being bulldozed to the ground.

Check it out ACE denies ever being offered the coaster.. Pretty funny that ACE is in denial considering about a month ago an Executive Committees private email was posted on the internet pertaining to this exact thing stating that ACE was offered and was making a bid for the coaster.. More ACE shenanigans.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=91626&catid=3

Quote from the article.

Last week, Norton Vice President Denise Kinsey said in an email: "It was made available to the American Coaster Enthusiasts, an association dedicated to roller coasters, a few weeks ago at no cost, other than dismantling, re-locating, and reassembling. They have not accepted that offer," Kinsey added.

Several ACE officers and board members contacted Channel 3 News this past weekend and said they have never heard of any offer.

There was a discussion about it on Pop Up Buzz.... Could have been a couple months ago, there was a discussion about the Dipper and some people made the comments about an EC member getting or sending an email to other EC members about bidding on the the Dipper. No real email was posted just a discussion of what was on the email. I don't know how true it was but some people that I recognize as ACE A listers had discussed it...

If I remember correctly the discussion was about ACE making a bid and not telling any body about it because they didn't want to have to tell ACE members they were going to use the museum fund to do it.. Which is why I think ACE is publicly stating no such offer was made so they don't look bad....

I find it hard to believe that Dick Kenzel would just throw that out in a media interview if it weren't the truth. What would Ceder Fair have to gain by kicking ACE in the face with stating it made them an offer of a free coaster. ACE wanted a free coaster, the land it sat on and other stuff which is why I believe you are seeing ACE make a big statement about how they didn't get any such notice... I believe they did get an offer but I think ACE was to greedy to take them up on just getting a coaster for free. Let alone all the money to buy, move and restore such coaster. ACE would have been in way over there heads with it and now I think they are trying to save face so to speak...

^It wasn't Dick Kinzel quoted.

Last week, Norton Vice President Denise Kinsey said in an email: "It was made available to the American Coaster Enthusiasts, an association dedicated to roller coasters, a few weeks ago at no cost, other than dismantling, re-locating, and reassembling. They have not accepted that offer," Kinsey added.

Still, your point still stands. Why would she make that false statement?

I believe they did get an offer but I think ACE was to greedy to take them up on just getting a coaster for free. Let alone all the money to buy, move and restore such coaster. ACE would have been in way over there heads with it and now I think they are trying to save face so to speak...

I'm a bit confused about this. Why would they even need to save face? Who would expect a coaster club with relatively limited resources to take on a project as massive and risky as moving a wooden coaster? And what the heck would they do with it seeing as they don't own or operate any amusement parks?