TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

If my rides on Ghostrider in August are any indication, you wouldn't like Ghotrider any more, it was just awful (unbelievably rough), and it was pretty cool less than 2 years ago.

I'm dying to know where a lot of the other rides will go, who's been naughty and gets the boomerang, send it to MiA as well, ha ha ha.

But Mean Streak goes 65 miles per hour, that's over half Top Thrill Dragster's speed!

The ride op for Mean Streak while I was at CP actually said that one.

I also think I heard some kids in line talking about how much the ride sucks and how they should cover it in oil and then burn it

If my rides on Ghostrider in August are any indication, you wouldn't like Ghotrider any more, it was just awful (unbelievably rough), and it was pretty cool less than 2 years ago.

The last time I rode it was the spring of 2005. I rode in the back seat, and it was Fantastic. IMHO, it hadn't changed since I rode it in 2002.

I was thinking about something regarding Big Dipper.

What are the requirements for something to be a National historic Landmark?

If it were to receive such status, they could not tear it down (but they do not have to operate it mind you)

I Wonder if this is a possibility.

on another note I hope they do move Villian, I think it would be a great addition (with new track and trains of course) to Carowinds or Worlds of Fun.

A shame to trash a pretty good wood coaster.

JEFF

• 2 weeks later...

I would also consider the Villian crap. Many well say that in it's earlier seasons, it was a good coaster. Well, i rode it in it's earlier seasons and I still thought it was crap.

Now, with that said, I do think their is hope for the ride. If they would move it, retrack the entire course and add "real" coaster trains, it would probably be a good ride. Lot of potential there.

If I could, I'll buy all 3 woodies, they do not deserve to be scrapped even if some of them are a crap ride.

What could be a reason why parks do not buy "classic" woodies like the Big Dipper, is it because the "move" and re-build costs.

CF must re-locate them to different parks, the more woodies saved the better.

They do not want to be-come like "Blue Streak" at CLP and it will be so embarrassing to see them in a few years time when you visit the water-park and they are 1/2 falling down with weeds everywhere..

I would love to buy one of those woodies one day!

I think no coaster deserves to be scrapped apart from psyclone from what I've heared.

I think it's a great disision if they were getting more money from the water park!

Cheers,

BlackHole2005

Unless the coaster is dangerous (like that death TOGO in Japan) or a coaster as crappy as Psyclone was from what I heard, they should all be given a chance. If worst comes to worst, they could always use it as a parts donor instead of destroying it. Heck, any coaster being removed and not to be rebuilt should be used as spare parts if possible.

I believe the reason we don't see so many relocated wooden coasters is because how much harder they are to take down and re assemble compared to steel coasters.

Just wondering, does anyone have any photo updates on the park demolition since the last one?

• 1 month later...

I loved Geauga Lake. It was my home park. Seeing it go is like seeing my house which I've lived in all my life being torn down. I had so many memories there. As for the Villian, despite what others say, I thought it was a great woodie. Sure it was rough some days but most of the time it ran great. And the Big Dipper better not get demolished. It's a classic woodie. Btw, does anyone know if Cedar Fair is selling anything from the park (like signs or whatever)? I looked on Ebay, but found nothing.

Battle Royale.

No but I get how your feeling.

If Valleyfair closed down, I would be hopeless. There would be absolutely no fun at all in my life. And with the Villain statement, I think it looks like a great ride! High Roller at Valleyfair is a wooden coaster, and it's 32 years old now, and it has roughness throughout the whole ride, but it's one of my favorite rides in the park. I just hope that everyone lears to cope with this.

• 5 months later...

According to the vice president of Norton Auctioneers, Geauga Lake's Big Dipper was offered to the American Coaster Enthusiasts at no cost, but the organization did not accept the offer. The ride will be a part of the auction this coming week.

Nine months after parent company Cedar Fair closed it forever, pieces and parts of Geauga Lake amusement park will hit the auction block Tuesday morning.

Starting at 11 a.m. Monday morning, you can get your first and, most likely, last look at what you can bid on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Monday's preview ends at 5 p.m.. There's a $10 admission fee for the preview.

Starting at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Michigan-based Norton Auctioneers will start auctioning the rides and the ride-related equipment.

At 10:30 a.hm. Wednesday, the auction for campground trailers and equipment will wrap up the two-day auction.

All items will go to the highest bidder and there will be no minimum bids.

Some of the rides up for auction include: the Double Loop coaster; two SkipperLiner paddle wheel boats; the Intamin Space Tower; the Chance Pirate Ship; the Eli Scrambler; the Raging Wolf coaster; the Mack Himalaya; and the Sansel Flume.

The Big Dipper?

"The Big Dipper has not been sold and will be part of the auction," Norton Vice-President Dense Kinsey told KC.com Friday.

"It was made available to the American Coaster Enthusiasts, an association dedicated to roller coasters, a few weeks ago at no cost, other than dismantling, re-locating, and reassembling. They have not accepted that offer," Kinsey added.

Removing and reassembling the coaster would be a huge expense, in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Geauga Lake fans have been most concerned about two of the Geauga Lake rides in particular, the landmark 1926 Big Dipper roller coaster and the historic carousel.

The Big Dipper was subject to the seller's approval and also subject to a possible prior sale before next week's auction.

"The carousel that was at Geauga Lake is in storage, will be restored, and placed in another park owned by Cedar Fair," Kinsey said.

Cedar Fair owns amusement parks and water parks across the UA.SA. and the world. It owns Cedar Point in Sandusky and closed Geauga Lake amusement park because of declining attendance.

Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom that is adjacent to the amusement park was not closed and opened for the season May 24.

During next week's auction, a $10 admission fee is in effect for June 16, 17 and 18 for the amusement park, with a separate $10 fee collected each day.

You can bid on three, 120-foot greenhouses, 400 assorted picnic tables and 24 12-foot camping cabin trailers, used only in the summer time since 1998.

There's also camping equipment, including fire rings, shower stalls, fencing and a wooden bridge.

There are even buildings and kiosks up for auction, including food stands and smaller pavilions.

Miscellaneous park equipment, some with Geauga Lake logos, will also be auctioned, including Geauga lake signs, light poles, nautical-themed props and Geauga Lake uniforms.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If this coaster is so important to save, there should be no "cost" limit to how much a park is prepared to pay to take it down and relocate it elsewhere. I'm sure there will be lots of interest at the auction.

I just hope the BD can be given a new "loving" home..

CLP rides should be auctioned off as well, "Blue Streak", "Turtle Bug" and "Devil's Den" maybe saved instead of SBNO for years.