TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Im glad they finally put this park out of its misery. It was dying a slow death. With two great parks in Ohio, it just had no chance to surive.

Ohio doesn't have 2 great parks. Well I guess King's Island was good 15 years ago.

Yeah, and I don't think Ohio supporting 3 parks is out of the question. Look at how many parks Pennsylvania has.

^^Anyone who would blatantly insult a classic coaster deserves all of the pain they receive.

I have my opinion and you have yours. I'm sure there are coasters that I like and you hate, but I don't go around saying things like that and wishing pain upon people. You're messed up man.

Thank You!

Um.. He's saying you're screwed up dude. Try re-reading his post again.

This announcement hit me quite hard, and it really took a bit of time before I could post something the least bit coherent.

What a loss. What a loss for the Cleveland market, what a loss for the families who visited be for, and what a loss for the amusement park loving community.

While others threw the idea of Geauga Lake only being a water park around in the past, I never dreamed it would be the case. I had faith in Cedar Fair. Minor improvements such as paint jobs on this coaster and that, rehabilitation on numerous rides, and the apparent interest of Cedar Fair in the park led me to believe it was here to stay.

The removals started with Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall, then X-Flight and Steel Venom, then Belaire Express. That, combined with the remains of Hurricane Harbor for numerous years, convinces me that Cedar Fair never had any interest in this park except for closing it.

The park had decent attendance, and was doing much better this year. It had more attendance than Michigan's Adventure, significantly so, and yet somehow that park is still in the chain. The lack of interest in Geauga Lake, combined with its sudden closure, really proves that all CF wanted to do was make people like the park enough so that a slow and painful shut down could be done without losing too much money.

This makes me question CF. It shows that they are completely unconcerned with the happiness of their guests, untrustworthy when it comes to public communication, and yes, nothing more than a business.

The thing that bothers me the most is that they lied to us every step of the way with their constant "We have no intention of closing.... We have no intention of removing... At this point in time X-Flight has no plans for revoal". Come on Cedar Fair, stop lying. That is so Six Flags... The public deserved to know the future, or lack there of, of Geauga Lake before the park closed for the season.

Its extremely, extremely disappointing, and still this feels like a dream.

Also, I don't know how successful it will be just as a water park. I think they really should have had a compromise. Maybe toss out Raging Wolf Bobs and Head Spin and some flats and Grizzly Run, but I think a small amusement park with a water park would have had more success.

In any event, if you feel like Cedar Fair handled Geauga Lake wrong, please check out my petition. Please be aware this is more to raise awareness with CF that numerous actions they took weren't at the level you would hope from CF or any company for that matter.

www.ipetitions.com/petition/geaugalake

This announcement hit me quite hard, and it really took a bit of time before I could post something the least bit coherent.

What a loss. What a loss for the Cleveland market, what a loss for the families who visited be for, and what a loss for the amusement park loving community.

Its extremely, extremely disappointing, and still this feels like a dream.

I'm sorry this hit you so hardly. Geauga lake's closure is a big pill to swallow, and even I'm questioning CF wisdom in this situation.

The summer of 2007 told held the fate of this park; wether or not it would remain a family park, or downsize to only a water park. The verdict is painfully clear.

It makes sense that CF would only need 2 major amusement parks in one state, especially one as small as Ohio, with parks as big as Kings Island and Cedar Point. The only reason Geauga Lake made it this far is that SF bought it in hopes of competing with Cedar Point. With SF out of the picture, and GL in the hands of it's former rival, I think many of us saw this coming.

The removal of X-Flight and Steel Venom made it clear that the park would downsize to a family park, to compete with Kennywood. I found this suprizing, because I never did think that Geauga Lake had a chance after SF let it go. Turning the park into just a waterpark is a good business discission, because CF doesn't really need a "family park" in such close proximity with CP. Why bother?

I see the appeal of having a stand-alone water park for CF. The success of the California "Soak City" chain has created an alternate nitch that CF an flourish in.

I'm just happy that Geauga Lake's rides are finding new homes, so in that way, Geauga Lake will always live on.

Geauga Lake's closure is the end of the past, and the beggining of the future. Sometimes, busines is business.

It makes sense that CF would only need 2 major amusement parks in one state, especially one as small as Ohio, with parks as big as Kings Island and Cedar Point. The only reason Geauga Lake made it this far is that SF bought it in hopes of competing with Cedar Point. With SF out of the picture, and GL in the hands of it's former rival, I think many of us saw this coming.

Ohio is currently the 7th largest state in population, coming in at about a million less than Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has the following parks:

Kennywood

Knoebels

Hersheypark

Idlewild

Lakemont

Dorney

Waldameer

plus a few misc. smaller parks. Yes, none of these parks are as big as either Cedar Point or Kings Island, but I think it illustrates the fact that Ohio *could* support another park, especially in the Columbus area. Columbus has no local park, and is a reasonably large metropolitan area.

What Ohio could not support was another largish park in the Cleveland area. Had Six Flags not overexpanded Geauga Lake, it may have done fine as a smaller park just like all those smaller PA parks keep chugging along without gradiose dreams of becoming the next Cedar Point.

^Great post. There is a certain amount of parks that can survive in any given area, but finding your niche can also be a huge benefit. Overall our society always wants everything bigger, since bigger is obviously better. That is a shame in most things, but really in amusement parks as these small affordable parks get either run down or give up as people compare everything to CP, or Disney, or SF. Indiana Beach and Knoebels are not trying to be those places and that is what makes them great.

Ohio is currently the 7th largest state in population, coming in at about a million less than Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has the following parks:

Kennywood

Knoebels

Hersheypark

Idlewild

Lakemont

Dorney

Waldameer

plus a few misc. smaller parks. Yes, none of these parks are as big as either Cedar Point or Kings Island, but I think it illustrates the fact that Ohio *could* support another park, especially in the Columbus area. Columbus has no local park, and is a reasonably large metropolitan area.

What Ohio could not support was another largish park in the Cleveland area. Had Six Flags not overexpanded Geauga Lake, it may have done fine as a smaller park just like all those smaller PA parks keep chugging along without gradiose dreams of becoming the next Cedar Point.

Yes, those are mostly very small parks. Geagua was a big park relative to many of those. If you want to count all parks then look at all the little ones Ohio has, such as, Wyandot Lake and Coney Island(or what ever theat little park is in cincinatti). I believe there is one more but I am not sure where.

Unfortunately, I could see this coming...

During my visit on August 1st (see TPR), the water park was jammed full of people and the ride park was pretty much dead. It was a ridiculously long walk to the water park and just didn't make any geographical sense. I agree in that they need to expand the water park if they want this to be successful...I mean it is smaller than Waldameer for God's sake! From what I saw during my visit, they could not handle the attendance with the limited amount of slides and pools that they had for a hot day. This decision makes perfect business sense, although I think it would be cool if they kept some of the carnival/flat rides, just for some added family fun.

The coasters that deserve another chance in a bigger park are Dominator and Big Dipper (ride in the front seat, damn it!). I would assume that some of the smaller parks in the country would welcome some of the other smaller coasters with open arms. While they did not do much for me (RWB, Double Loop, Villian, Thunderhawk and the Boomerang), if they were sent to a smaller park, they might be restored and be kept in better condition.

Again, this is not a big surprise to me after my visit. I cannot see bashing CF for this decision as it makes perfect sense to me from a business standpoint. Although, being an enthusiast when it comes to theme and amusement parks, I hate to see any park get the axe!

BTW...the people that say that they are never going to a CF park again because of this business decision...THANKS!!! That just means that the lines for MF, TTD, Beast and Maverick will be that much shorter for me in the future!!!!

This really makes me sad.

It really does make sense though. I've always thought the layout of that park alone made it a hassle. It's such a long distance between the water park and the amusement park. Those little shuttles just weren't enough. If they could have simply had the water park and amusement park on the same side, it would have been interesting to see the outcome. Unfortunately, that wasn't really possible the way the park's property was shaped. That leads me to another idea... what if they had take out everything around x-flight and that side of the park and converted that into water park along with the older water park area. It would have been interesting.

I think we can also confirm now that Geauga Lake as an amusement park was reliant on Sea World for business.

I can't wait to see where they send all of Geauga's rides to. Not just the coasters, but other ones. I could see a new kiddie section being build in another CF park. Some smaller parks will get some nice "new" flats.

Oh, and that leads me to my last comment...

GL had better have some major expansion plans for next year. Yea, the water park was packed last year. Take the people who were on the rides side and throw them into the mix. Things will be insane. That park needs more raft slides. A bohemoth bowl and some tradiitonal family raft ride would work well. A watercoaster would be fun too.

Ding, dong, the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead...

I always felt the Geauga Lake was pretty ghetto, and hadn't been back since Six Flags took it over. I certainly won't miss it, since I never had plans to ever go back. You know most of the rides will be relocated, so we won't be missing much, except the location. Cedar Point and Kings Island are much better parks anyway, and still within easy driving distance.

Kennywood

Knoebels

Hersheypark

Idlewild

Lakemont

Dorney

Waldameer

Something else that needs to be taken into account is that Kennywood and Idelwilde are the only parks in Pennsylvania that are owned by one chain. CP, KI, and GL are all owned by CF. I could understand why CF would only want 2 major themeparks in one state.

I just heard this news today as I was gone Friday and Saturday. I read through all the replies to this, and I must ask... were some of you bullies in high school?

I've read things like "I'm glad the park is gone", "send the wooden coasters to the scrap-pile" and that it's no big loss. Well, I've never been there but... To some people the place was important, some people had a lot of good memories of the place, and some people are sad to see it go. But I guess no one matters but yourself.

I know these are opinions, but the way they are written, they seem like you're laughing at the people who desperately wanted this park to work. I have fond memories of Kings Dominion from the late 80s and early/mid 90s. It's not as good a park anymore, in fact I'd say it's near dreadful, but I wouldn't want it torn down, just because sometimes I go just to jog memories of the park's past or of my childhood.

I find it kinda sad that a park that was, I believe 100 years old or older is now to be gone without any farewell. It's even more sad that many people want to see most wooden coasters sent to the scrap heap, and I am not exaggerating, at least not on purpose. I've heard that the Grizzly (GA and KD) is horrible, that Mean Streak is horrible,that Thunder Road is horrible, Big Dipper is horrible, Comet (HP) is horrible... I mean, my God it sounds sometimes like if it's not made by a specific company, or not at Holiday World, and it's wooden, it shouldn't exist.

Yeah, this pissed off comment from me has been building up for a while. I just really start to feel depressed about the future of humanity when I read such selfish comments on every single message board.

I just heard this news today as I was gone Friday and Saturday. I read through all the replies to this, and I must ask... were some of you bullies in high school?

I've read things like "I'm glad the park is gone", "send the wooden coasters to the scrap-pile" and that it's no big loss. Well, I've never been there but... To some people the place was important, some people had a lot of good memories of the place, and some people are sad to see it go. But I guess no one matters but yourself.

I know these are opinions, but the way they are written, they seem like you're laughing at the people who desperately wanted this park to work. I have fond memories of Kings Dominion from the late 80s and early/mid 90s. It's not as good a park anymore, in fact I'd say it's near dreadful, but I wouldn't want it torn down, just because sometimes I go just to jog memories of the park's past or of my childhood.

I find it kinda sad that a park that was, I believe 100 years old or older is now to be gone without any farewell. It's even more sad that many people want to see most wooden coasters sent to the scrap heap, and I am not exaggerating, at least not on purpose. I've heard that the Grizzly (GA and KD) is horrible, that Mean Streak is horrible,that Thunder Road is horrible, Big Dipper is horrible, Comet (HP) is horrible... I mean, my God it sounds sometimes like if it's not made by a specific company, or not at Holiday World, and it's wooden, it shouldn't exist.

Yeah, this pissed off comment from me has been building up for a while. I just really start to feel depressed about the future of humanity when I read such selfish comments on every single message board.

It's always good to wax sentimental about a park you've never been to. The place was a dump. The coasters weren't that good, and the ones worth saving will be saved.

You're confusing longevity for quality. If Kennywood was closing down, I'd be upset. But there is really not much being lost in all of this. If this park was so important to Cleveland they would have gone there. But they didn't. So the park closed.

^^ I don't see myself waxing sentimental.... I haven't seen myself say it was a great park, or that it had great rides. I see myself saying it's sad to see any park go. I went to the Pavilion in SC last year before it closed. It wasn't a good park. The Hurricane was one of the most painful coasters I've been on, but I rode it twice... Because I liked it despite the pain. (Maybe a bit of a masochistic urge) But the park was well past it's prime. But I was sad to see it go, because if it makes one person's day enjoyable, which it seemed to do to many people the day I was there, then there's at least a bit of quality still left. Over 2 million people in 2002 at Geauga Lake... I'm sure some of them left the park happy. I'm sure some left happy this past year, the few that went.

Just because a park is dreadful to me doesn't mean it should be scrapped. I could really care less that Geauga Lake is closed personally, but I do feel for the people that went there for years. It's like losing a bit of your past. It's not fun. Good and bad are relative terms. I've seen people say they love the Big Dipper and most here say they want it gone. Same about Villain. What's good for you is not necessarily good for others is I guess what I'm saying. Just that some neutrality would be nice. People sometimes seem to enjoy watching others suffer, though I guess, but I'm not saying you do... Just some people here, there, and everywhere. GL fans seem to love hating on CP too, which I don't understand. To me, all parks have some worth.

^^Anyone who would blatantly insult a classic coaster deserves all of the pain they receive.

I have my opinion and you have yours. I'm sure there are coasters that I like and you hate, but I don't go around saying things like that and wishing pain upon people. You're messed up man.

Thank You!

Um.. He's saying you're screwed up dude. Try re-reading his post again.

I know that- duh!