TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Here's what would have happened if Geauga Lake wasn't taken over by Cedar Fair...Kennywood would have taken over the park and actually took the time and effort to improve upon the rides side before moving onto bigger and better things like a new waterpark.

WHAT??????? What is your basis to speculate in this manner. Kennywood hasn't exactly been an acquisition based company. Except small parks that wouldn't canibalize KW

If Geauga had not been purchased by CF, it would already be a new housing development and/or strip mall.

I pity the park that gets Villain.

If it replace Grizzly at Great America, I really don't care.

ITA, over here, we'll take anything over Grizzly, voted worst wooden roller coaster for a couple years. None of the other rides make any sense to be placed at GA.

Here's what would have happened if Geauga Lake wasn't taken over by Cedar Fair...Kennywood would have taken over the park and actually took the time and effort to improve upon the rides side before moving onto bigger and better things like a new waterpark.

WHAT??????? What is your basis to speculate in this manner. Kennywood hasn't exactly been an acquisition based company. Except small parks that wouldn't canibalize KW

If Geauga had not been purchased by CF, it would already be a new housing development and/or strip mall.

Im pretty sure that if Kennywood bought the park, they would of sold off the "Wild Side" and keep the current ride side operating...Don't act like Kennywood wouldn't be able to turn a park around.

I'm pretty sure that if Kennywood bought the park, they would of sold off the "Wild Side" and keep the current ride side operating...Don't act like Kennywood wouldn't be able to turn a park around.

They were able to turn a park around like Lake Compounce, a small park with very few rides and not much else. Gueaga Lake was a garbage heap of new rides and attractions, way to much for a park like Kennywood to handle. Actually, no amusement park company could handle it in the state it was in without putting a large amount of money into it, hence why the ride side is now closing.

I've been told that VF is getting El Dorado. It'd be a good fit for VF.

Why is it replacing worlds worst Falling Star that VF has, or do you know El Dorado has a setting where you can run it at 1/5 the speed like the other rides at VF.

I agree and would choose to go to KW everytime over CP.

Where would KW have came up with the 175 million to buy the place and due the work on it.

I think that covers most of the comments I was interested or baffled by.

^^Anyone who would blatantly insult a classic coaster deserves all of the pain they receive.

I have my opinion and you have yours. I'm sure there are coasters that I like and you hate, but I don't go around saying things like that and wishing pain upon people. You're messed up man.

Thank You!

Why is it replacing worlds worst Falling Star that VF has, or do you know El Dorado has a setting where you can run it at 1/5 the speed like the other rides at VF.

Although I have yet to visit VF, it sounds like El Dorado would make a great fit. El Dorado is easily one of the most craptacular flat rides I've ever experienced. Riding that slow, dull thing cemented in my mind just how much Geauga Lake sucked. How can you mess up a simple ride like that?

Im pretty sure that if Kennywood bought the park, they would of sold off the "Wild Side" and keep the current ride side operating...Don't act like Kennywood wouldn't be able to turn a park around.

It is foolish to think that Kennywood have bought Geauga Lake if CF didn't. I strongly doubt the powers that be at Kennywood would have taken on that much debt.

For the record - I don't think anyone could have turned around GL, at the debt burden that would existed.

Do you have any proof that this would have happened. I honestly can not see Kennywood making such a foolish purchase. The park was a wreck. Kennywood goes after small parks like Lake Compounce and Story Land that can handle slow but steady growth. Gueaga Lake was so large that slow and steady growth was not much of an option.

I remember seeing awhile back that Kennywood was actually in the running to buy the park until Cedar Fair outbit them. I'll have to look around for the news article, but this was awhile go that I saw this. But I definitely remember seeing it.

And yes, I do think Kennywood would have done a hell of a lot better job at running this park than Cedar Fair and wouldn't have given up on the park like they did.

I am going to miss Geauga Lake.It was a fun park to go to and I'm glad we went on the 14th.I actually liked The Villain and it's my favorite woodie.I hope somebody gets Big Dipper because it's an important piece of history.I read an article today in The Morning Journal that said they wanted to relocate Villain, Dominator, Thunderhawk, Big Dipper and Raging Wolf Bobs.

I would think for as much as CF paid they would want to relocate everything. Course it is also pretty obvious CF will say almost anything so who knows. I found all their coasters other than X-Flight, SLC, and the boomerang to be fun. But hey thats just me. I always liked the park when it was SFWOA. I went every ytear they owned the park and had fun every time.

I just now started to post that I was glad that I got up there this year, as I had never been before. But then I remembered that I'm not particularly glad. I mean, I guess I'm glad in that, "At least I know for sure that it was an overall 'meh' experience with mostly sucking rides and very mostly surly staff" kind of way. But I'm not glad that I drove all the way there to get the experience that I got. Note: I don't do waterpark stuff. My comments only reflect my ride-side experience.

I might feel a bit different if Geauga Lake was my home park, but I doubt it. I don't mind traveling a bit for a good park experience and I don't think I would continue to subject myself to a mediocre park experience for the sake of convenience. Case in point--King's Dominion has sucked this year in both operations and ride performance. It's only 20 minutes from where I live and I can't seem to motivate to get up there any more this year. If they announced tomorrow that they're going to taer it down, I'd not shed a tear.

If I were geographically in a similar situation with Geauga Lake, I would much rather drive a little further and get King's Island or Kennywood or Cedar Point.

^I could see a chute-the-chutes ride or a Mack Super Splash going in sometime in the future, but I doubt there will ever be any dry rides.

It saddens me how Cedar Fair destroyed such a good park, it seemed like one of the better Six Flags parks, and now one of the countries oldest parks is being turned into homes. Big Dipper will probable be torn down, but hopefully someone steps in and saves it considering it's the state's oldest coaster.