TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

The only thing I'm really pissed about this announcement (not really made the park is closing since I can go to Waldameer, Kennywood and Hersheypark instead), is the fact that Cedar Fair waited till the end of the season to announce this.

The decision to wait and make the announcement is a double edged sword.

1) Wait to make the announcement, and piss off those who wanted to cheack out the park one last time.

-or-

2) Make the announcement early and potentially lose your workforce prematurely.

And even though SF had rather good attendence when they first bought GL, it was the new thing. Multiple new coasters with a new direction. But that whole attitude died out rather quickly and people stopped going.

I think this was a good bussiness decision. Ride wise, Geaga lake was 3rd rate compared to the other CF parks in Ohio. Turning it into a family park with a water park attached wouldn't have fared so well, with CP only an hour away. CF has the northern and southern borders of the state covered--it makes perfect sense that Geaga Lake would be closing. This also means a buffet of 2nd-hand rides for the other CF parks.

Gaega Lake Distribution (some of which are opinions/predictions)

Steel Venom: Dorney Park

X-Flight: King's Island

Dominator: Kings Dominion (really hope so)

Thunderhawk: Michigan's Adventure (needs it badly)

Villan: Great America (after the inevitable destruction of Grizzly)

Raging Wolf Bobs: Worlds of Fun (Could use an other woodie)

Valleyfair!: Beaver Creak Mine Ride (They could use a better kiddie coaster than Mild Thing)

The end is near for Double Loop, Head Spin and Big Dipper. Head Spin is obsolete, and Big Dipper is way old. Double Loop is both obsolete and way old.

Knott's Berry Farm and Carowids will get leftovers.

Good job Cedar Fair, you aced how to ruin a great park in what three years?

Back when it was Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, it looked like a great park, and it offered something the other two major parks couldn't. It makes me upset that the park was destroyed simply because it took people away from Cedar Point, but that's business. Oh well, at least the rides will be sent to other parks.(just like the old Astroworld rides)

Here's what I've been told-

WOF will get Americana and Beaver Creek

DP will get Steel Venom

KD will get Dominator

KI (might-I don't honestly know) might get Villain but don't quote me on that.

VF will get Skyscraper, Time Warp, and El Coronado

KBF will get Double Loop

And the weirdest. . .

CP will get headspin. I don't get why but from what I've been told they will. I don't see why they would. It has terrible capacity, and it wouldn't really fit in. We'll just have to see.

^^^^ Yeah that would be stupid. Anaconda is everything a Boomerang wishes it could be.

Beacuse the H-XLC space is so small, I'm gessing that it will be home to an S&S Screamin' Swing, a Huss Giant Frisbee, or one of the flats from Geauga Lake.

Man, CF is really tearing up the coaster world! The aftermath will prove to be worth it!

Here's what I've been told-

WOF will get Americana and Beaver Creek

DP will get Steel Venom

KD will get Dominator

KI (might-I don't honestly know) might get Villain but don't quote me on that.

VF will get Skyscraper, Time Warp, and El Coronado

KBF will get Double Loop

And the weirdest. . .

CP will get headspin. I don't get why but from what I've been told they will. I don't see why they would. It has terrible capacity, and it wouldn't really fit in. We'll just have to see.

Who told you this?

Why would KBF get Double Loop? KI already has 4 woodies, they don't need a 5th one! Cp certinly doesn't need a Bommerang!

One of the worst parts about this is that MIA will now get a piece of crap SLC and will have to go another 7 years or so before getting something new. I am fine that they will get stuck with it, but I am really tired of people trying to make the SLC sound great, or something they need badly. NO ONE needs an SLC badly.

OK, this officialy blows. There's no way I'll be able to make it back there before the end of this season.

I'm really, really, really upset by this. GL was my home park for 18 years and also once had my first credit (Corkscrew). It wasn't really that bad of a park. When I was growing up, it was pretty much all I had to look forward to.

Thanks, Cedar Fair. At the moment, I'm sorely tempted to never go to stupid Cedar Point, ever.

I really don't know what else to say at this point. Well, I do, but a lot of it is profane and I know I can't do it here.

-Amanda "Actually, I'm pretty much speechless" V.

I give the waterpark two years before it becomes "Wildwater Towers". Honestly, the waterpark is a shamble. How are you about to DEMOLISH the ride side and add no viable improvement to the waterpark? I mean they already half-assed the waterpark and now their taking away another asset. Sad really...CF went from being a premier company in the early 2000's but now after the Paramount purchase...they really went down the hole.

Not all is bad...I'm hopping Kennywood really advertises now. They already took one of GL's big providers of discount tickets and passes(Giant Eagle)...it won't be long before Kennywood becomes a household name. Just look at it like they lost some competetion...

KBF would get a double loop because they used to have one, they have the room, and who wouldn't want it?

While it would make me feel good that a piece of my childhood is moved into my new "backyard", I truly doubt that KBF will get Double Loop.

And to clarify...KBF once had a CORKSCREW. Identical to the one that was removed from Geauga Lake for Headspin.

KBF does not have very much room to expand at all..let alone for a "State of the Art" (circa 1977) Arrow Looper.

Double Loop is and was one of a kind.

I hope they get a good price on the scrap.

Although..has anyone called North Korea? I'm sure they would find it fun.

I find it interesting that people are becoming upset with Cedar Fair.

If Six Flags was bringing in as many guests as people are saying (in the year it was sold), then there is not much reasoning as to why they would sell it; clearly Six Flags could not keep the park open.

Had the park not been purchased by Cedar Fair, who knows what would have happened, but i believe having the rides park open for five more seasons is better than a possible zero.

I had a feeling that Geauga Lake would be closing, but I din't think it would be closing this soon.

I'm just happy that I got to spend 3 hours of my life in the park before it closed.

dominator4.jpg.c236372974356c55a77ac3ad6bb5e851.jpg

R.I.P Dominator. Hopefully I'll ride you again @ KD someday.

I guess this all shows us just how greedy Dick Kinzel is and that he'd stop at nothing to get attendance at Cedar Point to increase. I know for a fact attendance was up this year, so I can only take it that Kinzel saw this as a threat to his future plans for Cedar Point.

SFO/SFWOA/GL has been a lost cause since the beginning. Although I thought it was a decent park, it was flat out a sad excuse for a corporate park and it doesnt bother me at all that all the rides are being taken out.

Although I do think the water park needs to be expanded badly, its not very big and if its going to be the premier waterpark in Ohio it needs some more attractions.

This is a business, ADDING rides would be a complete waste of a lot of money, look what hapenned to SF in 01.

I agree that this goes back to errors made by Six Flags. SFWOA might have been cool, but it just wasn't practical.

Also, as far as Cedar Fair goes, I've always kinda been skeptical about their intentioins with GL. I really can't say i'm surprised, and they've got some great steel coasters to harvest here for their other parks...

Which by the way, I can't imagine Double Loop appearing at any other CF park. It's so old and doesn't have much to market. I wouldn't be surprised if that ride retired after this. It served it's purpose anyway, but it's not the 70's anymore.

Had the park not been purchased by Cedar Fair, who knows what would have happened, but i believe having the rides park open for five more seasons is better than a possible zero.

Here's what would have happened if Geauga Lake wasn't taken over by Cedar Fair...Kennywood would have taken over the park and actually took the time and effort to improve upon the rides side before moving onto bigger and better things like a new waterpark. They would have done a lot more than a few paint jobs on a select few rides, an addition of new games and picnic pavilions. Hell, it's been four years now and I could easily have seen KWP investing in new rides as well. So quite frankly, the park would have been a lot better off not being purchased by Cedar Fair. Because quite frankly, it would have been taken over by a much smaller company that ensures that ALL of its park receive equal attention year in and year out.

But of course, this didn't happen and now we no longer have a park. It's not Six Flags' fault people. Yes, they left the park in shambles and attendance at a low level, but other than the waterpark, what did Cedar Fair do for the park that actually contributed to the improvement in the overall park atmosphere? A few paint jobs and some picnic pavilions is NOT going to bring people into the park, so in all seriousness, I just don't think Cedar Fair EVER had any plans to fix up the rides side. Because if they had given some attention the rides side when it needed it, I could easily have seen attendance rise somewhat, especially with the addition of a new ride that they could have marketed.