TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

It probably will. Someone said a while back that they were looking into moving it. It's also a newer coaster that will attract a lot of people and would be a waste to just scrap.

I wonder what will happen to Big Dipper. I hated it, it can get burned down for all I care, just curious to see, though, because it's so old.

I also wonder if this will mean anything for Soak City at CP? Most of their slides are outdated, I wouldn't be surprised if CP got rid of all but a couple of slides, the wavepool, lazy river, and kiddie area to expand some rides and make room for a coaster to go out there like Magnum.

I guess this all shows us just how greedy Dick Kinzel is and that he'd stop at nothing to get attendance at Cedar Point to increase. I know for a fact attendance was up this year, so I can only take it that Kinzel saw this as a threat to his future plans for Cedar Point.

I'll be the first to admit, Geauga Lake was once one of my favorite parks and I guess it's kinda disappointing they're removing all the rides. But the fact is, Cedar Fair did nothing at all to try to improve the rides side during the 4 years they've owned the park now. The rides side has turned to total crap over the past few years and it's obvious that Kinzel never had any intention of getting the park up to Cedar Fair standards. It's quite obvious the whole objective of taking over this park is so Cedar Point can control the Cleveland market.

All I know is I probably won't be visiting any Cedar Fair parks in the near future. This announcement has really made me lose respect for the chain considering they just flushed over 100 years of people's memories down the drain. I have a feeling this news won't sit well in the stomach's of Aurora's citizens.

Kinzel runs Cedar Fair, not Cedar Point. It did behoove him to overpay buy a park and then fold it. The only way this helps CF as a whole is if people from Cleveland now vacation in Snadusky and stay at CP resorts/properties. A day tripper to CP from Cleveland is no more valuable than a day tripper to GL. Yes, it might cost more for admission to CP but their overhead is also much higher.

Increased attendance at GL this doesn't mean anything if it is on season passes and reduced prices. Revenue is much more important than attendance.

Maybe the news will be bad for Aurora businesses that the park helps (hotels, gas stations, nearby food places) but the Aurora enthusiasts should not be upset because they haven't been coming to the park since CF bought it.

Score one for the old SF regime for selling an unprofitable park for way too much. Maybe the only bright thing they ever did.

The only thing I'm really pissed about this announcement (not really made the park is closing since I can go to Waldameer, Kennywood and Hersheypark instead), is the fact that Cedar Fair waited till the end of the season to announce this. They did the same thing when they took out X-Flight and Steel Venom and if you knew you were removing the rides side all along, why not tell people so they are able to ride certain rides for the last time? I just really don't like the way Cedar Fair goes about running their company and that's one of the reason I probably won't be going to another Cedar Fair property anytime in the future.

What a sad announcement! Unfortunately though, not a complete surprise either.

I really don't think CP ever felt threatened by GL's prescence. But, then again, CF had said in past releases and such that two of their biggest markets had always been Detroit and Cleveland, and that over the past several years attendance from those areas had been dropping pretty radically. So there could be something there, but I personally think the park was going to become a money pit for CF, and they needed to get rid of it ASAP.

Honestly though, there is a part of me that says, in my gut, that what were seeing is plan "B" being carried out. Plan "A" was to make GL into the small family-oriented park they had talked about. If plan "A" failed, plan "B" would be to rape the park of every decent ride they have to feed the other CF parks. Then it wouldn't be a complete loss...right?

I guess this all shows us just how greedy Dick Kinzel is and that he'd stop at nothing to get attendance at Cedar Point to increase. I know for a fact attendance was up this year, so I can only take it that Kinzel saw this as a threat to his future plans for Cedar Point.

Wow. How naive can you get?

You suggesting Kinzel seeing attendance up at Geauga Lake as a threat to future plans at Cedar Point is HILARIOUS.

Newsflash buddy, BOTH PARKS ARE OWNED BY CEDAR FAIR. Regardless of whether or a person chooses to visit Geauga Lake over Cedar Point or vice versa, that money still goes into the same company pocket.

I just really can't see Wildwater Kingdom surviving as a stand alone waterpark without Cedar Fair investing several more millions of dollars into a decent sized expansion for the park. Right now, I really don't see people going to the park for two slide complexes and a wave pool. I certainly wouldn't drive 2 1/2 hours for that.

You suggesting Kinzel seeing attendance up at Geauga Lake as a threat to future plans at Cedar Point is HILARIOUS.

It is true...If you watched the interview with Kinzel at the beginning of the year, he mentioned removing the parks larger attractions and said people can go to Geauga Lake for the waterpark and they'll let the coaster lovers go to Cedar Point. Obviously there were other reasons to closing GL besides their mediocre attendance, especially allowing Cedar Point to finally take over the entire Cleveland market.

http://www.freepowerboards.com/geaugalaketoday/geaugalaketoday-about201.html (Watch Part 2)

I just really can't see Wildwater Kingdom surviving as a stand alone waterpark without Cedar Fair investing several more millions of dollars into a decent sized expansion for the park. Right now, I really don't see people going to the park for two slide complexes and a wave pool. I certainly wouldn't drive 2 1/2 hours for that.

YOU certainly may not drive a certain distance to visit Geauga Lake as a water park, but "you" isn't the thousands and thousands of guests that WILL visit each season.

The whole "I can't see people going there anymore" argument is stupid. The reason to downsize Geauga Lake was made very clear. Like mentioned in the press release, they will announce new dates and PRICING soon...which is to say admission ticket prices will drop as the rides area of the park will be taken out.

With that said, all that space leftover will be for future expansion of the water park --- which leads me to believe Geauga Lake will become the premier water-park/mixed recreation use complex in Ohio.

Very sad news to hear of a industry staple like GL going away. Like others have said, unfortunate that CF didn't take the effort to make GL work. It worked for over 100yrs, surely they could have found a way if they wanted to. Seems similiar to SF's Astroworld, with GL being CF's sacrificial lamb for their financial missteps.

So I guess we now know where that rumored used flat for P/GA next year is coming from. They can move Big Dipper over here too, GA could use some decent wood.

I'm disappointed with this decision. I feel like cedar fair just wanted to buy the park to eliminate competition. I know it sounds kind of stupid but I think its true. I saw it coming, this place had a troubled history from the beginning. I think they should of just added on to the park but oh well. I hope that they at least make this to a top world class water park destination like....i dunno how to spell that water park from Texas.lol. But it seems hard to do since the climate limits it from operating a long season.

Maybe CP will get rid of soak city and add more attractions. One day people can spend a day at the water park and then the next day people can go to CP. It will be a neat idea, they will just have to provide shuttle services, including KI, like they do in Florida. (or do they have that already?)