TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

IMO Kings Dominion needs a coaster to bring some life back into the park, and what better way to do that than with a B&M. Whether it's Dominator or a new coaster, they need one that's a people eater and has some length to it. They just have too many coasters that last less than 2 minutes.

my only concern is "find Big Dipper a good home" and torch the rest!

And get some better trains for it while you're at it. The current ones suck for taller riders.

Really? I am 6'2" and I love that coaster- its still in my Top 5.

Yeah, I remember barely fitting into the train. And I'm quite thin. Big Dipper did not run particularly well either when I rode it. It had a bad case of not enough speed to get any airtime. Yeah, I think the best thing for it would be to move it to a park that would actually take care of it. But I think the chance of that happening is close to zero. Here we have another John Miller marked for death.

I absolutely hated Big Dipper, as said already, I barely fit into the train, and I'm only 6'0", but I have long legs. I gave it another chance this year, because the previous time I rode it a few years before, it made my neck sore for a week. After this years ride, my neck was just as sore as the other time for a week. I despise the Big Dipper.

Anyway, I am going to try to get to GL on Sunday to get a few last rides on Dominator and Thunderhawk, just in case they are moving.

Here's a few questions I have:

How has Geauga Lakes attendance done this summer without X-Flight and Steel Venom? If the waterpark is doing as well as some say, has there been an increase in waterpark attendance enough to offset the people that were hacked-off with the removal of the two coasters?

Does anyone think RWB will be fixed?

I hope RWB will be fixed, it was a very good woodie, in my opinion. Way better than any other woodie at GL, or even CP for that matter. My guess it that if Dominator and Thunderhawk do leave, it will reopen, but if they stay put for next year, I doubt RWB will open in the beginning. It might in the second half of the season, but definitely not in time for opening day.

Here's a few questions I have:

How has Geauga Lakes attendance done this summer without X-Flight and Steel Venom? If the waterpark is doing as well as some say, has there been an increase in waterpark attendance enough to offset the people that were hacked-off with the removal of the two coasters?

Does anyone think RWB will be fixed?

Attendence has been up. I haven't seen the midway so full since the SF days. Thunderhawk and Villain are actually sending out full trains and that hasn't been seen for a long time. Anyone who doubts obviously hasn't been there this year or went on a weekday/rain day...

^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Thunderhawk and Villain have been only running one train most of the season, if not, all of the season. At least that's how it was when I was there back in July. Hence, always sending out full trains.

Also, does anyone have a guess as to how crowded GL will be on Sunday? Being Labor Day weekend and all.

^ Nice.

In my two visits this year (both on Saturdays), the ride side was dead and all the coasters were walkons. Most not even sending out full trains.

Raging Wolf Bobs is a bore and really does nothing at all. I would like to them fix it, but only because it is better as it's sucky self than as a paperweight.

Not quite sure on the attendance, but I would imagine that it has gone down from last year. Nothing new on either side of the lake and two coasters gone.

So I should be good? I just wasn't sure with it being Labor Day weekend and all, but now that I think about it, if anything, everyone will be on the water park side. I plan on going in the evening anyway, so that I only have to pay $18 to get in. To tell you the truth, I have never been to an amusement park on the weekend.

^ Nice.

In my two visits this year (both on Saturdays), the ride side was dead and all the coasters were walkons. Most not even sending out full trains.

Raging Wolf Bobs is a bore and really does nothing at all. I would like to them fix it, but only because it is better as it's sucky self than as a paperweight.

Not quite sure on the attendance, but I would imagine that it has gone down from last year. Nothing new on either side of the lake and two coasters gone.

Far cry from that Cleveland Clinic day, eh? ( i remember that weekend when i drove by... mega=packed parking lot. this summer, even that event didn't do so hot.

As far as GL being crowded this Sunday. We went by there on Labor Day weekend and they were DEAD. The parking lot at Home Depot had more cars in it.

I've been to the park several times this year.... very healthy Saturday crowds... the waterpark has been nuts... but don't forget... thats the main attraction there, anyway.

Same as Holiday World.

The park is massive, there are walkways that look empty and only a few feet away it's gridlocked.

Its hard to have a small traditional park and grow it up too fast, Six Flags OHIO was nuts with people and the park wasen't at all ready to deal with the 2.1 Million it got in 2000. Of course, most of those people had such a lousy time anyway that they never came back.

^ Nice.

Attendence is far from "down". I'v been driving past the park every once in a while on Saturdays and the parking lot is full. I mean Thunderhawk was running both trains and they were both filled. It was actually a 15 min wait one day and the midway was packed.

Attendence is far from "down". I'v been driving past the park every once in a while on Saturdays and the parking lot is full. I mean Thunderhawk was running both trains and they were both filled. It was actually a 15 min wait one day and the midway was packed.

I went on a Sunday in May, and it was pretty dead. We did wait for that crappy SLC, but everything else was walk on. One day, of course, doesn't say much about the big picture of how strong attendance was for the season. I couldn't imagine why the rides side would have good numbers this year. There just isn't enough to do there, and it gets really nasty in the heat with nowhere to go to escape it. This chased me right out of the park.

I think the park could really use the following:

1) Sally shooting dark ride.

2) GCII woodie.

3) Gerstlauer Eurofighter.

4) Several more medium sized flat rides that are not run in wussy mode.

I went on a Sunday in May, and it was pretty dead. We did wait for that crappy SLC, but everything else was walk on. One day, of course, doesn't say much about the big picture of how strong attendance was for the season. I couldn't imagine why the rides side would have good numbers this year. There just isn't enough to do there, and it gets really nasty in the heat with nowhere to go to escape it. This chased me right out of the park.

I think the park could really use the following:

1) Sally shooting dark ride.

2) GCII woodie.

3) Gerstlauer Eurofighter.

4) Several more medium sized flat rides that are not run in wussy mode. ,

It wasn't till late June that Saturdays started to get really busy. Attendence is def up and im 100% sure. Even the employess that post on the GLT forums noticed an increase in attendence.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Dorney Park has closed the Zephyr train for the year to reroute it.

I was at the Dorney yesterday and the area where Skyscraper was is all dug up and they have trees taken out. Also, the Zephyr tracks in that area have already been removed. This is the area where Steel Venom is rumored to go.

I'm sure Dorney will announce the ride within a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess we all saw this coming...

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=133

SANDUSKY, OHIO, September 21, 2007 – Cedar Fair Entertainment Company announced today that Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom in Aurora, Ohio, will become exclusively a water park attraction beginning with the 2008 season.

“After four years of operating Geauga Lake as a combined water park/amusement park attraction, we have concluded that its future should be entirely as a water park,” said Dick Kinzel, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. “Visiting Geauga Lake is a 119-year-old tradition in northeastern Ohio. That tradition will continue, but in a new and exciting way.”

“Geauga Lake’s Wildwater Kingdom has been recognized as one of the finest water parks in the country,” Kinzel said. “Over the past three seasons, we have invested approximately $25 million to create and develop the premiere water park in northeastern Ohio. Since its opening in 2005, Wildwater Kingdom has been the park’s highest rated attribute.”

Geauga Lake’s Wildwater Kingdom attractions will include Tidal Wave Bay, a 30,000 square-foot wave pool featuring seven different types of wave patterns; Liquid Lightning, a 60-foot-tall tornado slide; Thunder Falls, Ohio’s tallest water slide complex; an activity pool; an action river; and a multi-story play structure. The park will also provide a catering facility and picnic pavilions for group outings and poolside cabanas will be made available for daily rental.

Water parks are very important to Cedar Fair. In addition to parks where the water park is incorporated into the amusement park, the company owns and operates five separately gated water parks: three in California, one in Ohio (Soak City at Cedar Point) and one in Missouri.

Kinzel added, “Water parks traditionally draw from a closer geographic market than amusement parks, and we believe Geauga Lake’s Wildwater Kingdom will continue to be successful in drawing visitors from the greater Cleveland, Youngstown and Akron-Canton areas.”

Geauga Lake’s 2008 operating schedule, admission pricing, group programs and other operating details will be announced at a later date. However, the water park season is traditionally Memorial Day to Labor Day.

As part of the changeover to exclusively water park attractions, a number of the rides at Geauga Lake will be introduced at other Cedar Fair parks.

The property not necessary for the operation of the water park is being reviewed for other uses and development.