TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Oh, can anybody give me a link to Geauga Lake Today to see the forums?

I did...on page 13

To observe a more one-sided view of these rumors, take a look at these Geauga Lake Today forums:

www.freepowerboards.com/geaugalaketoday/geaugalaketoday-about167-0.html

For some reason you need to highlight the link in order to see it. I'm not quite some why the link is doing that...

Way back in 2004, I was really excited that CF was buying the park, but CF just seems to be killing the park slowly. I can see them not wanting competition near their flagship park, but Cedar Fair should at least care about the park. No mechanical rides have been added since Six Flags ran it, and if the current SF management ran it back in 2004, there is no way in hell it would have been sold. Granted, when Six Flags took the animals, the park was screwed, but Cedar Fair could at the very least have turned it into a SFSTL/SFKK park,(I happen to really like these parks) but they think building a large water park and adding corn hole is suitable for the park. If Cedar Fair is only killing the park because attendance is declining, then they should remove their focus from building a huge water park and adding corn hole. When I read more about the park(I knew little about it), I wanted to go to it, but now I would skip it even if I had time. It is just depressing to see how such a great park has gone downhill in three years. Six Flags had a great park, and they sold one of their better ones when they could have sold Darien Lake for probably around the same price. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading something on this site about the park pulling in something like 2+ million when it was under SF ownership, and now it can't even bring in 1 million despite its location.

Quote:

I would only ride it again if they changed the name to Dominatrix.

We are still talking about roller coasters, right?

Yes? Darn

LOL! Thinking same. Heh, so many inuendos, so little time...

As for KD, I wish they'd repaint Shockwave back to the green and yellow. This blue with orange and green track scheme would make an onion cry!

I was the one who mentioned removing 52"+ coasters. However, Texas Twister is about 52", so theres your Big Kid ride.

Kennywood has almost all 48" major rides except for a few flats.

Lake Compounce the same.

Holiday World the same.

Oh, and that Really nice development with all the shops.. well the houses went in about 4 years ago, and now all those wonderful stores... they get pounded by shoplifters and are in the paper's police beat every week.

Kennywood has almost all 48" major rides except for a few flats.

Uh, what about Thunderbolt? 52" restriction. I am pretty sure that Dominator could run safely with a 52" restriction. It isn't hurting SDC's Wildfire right?

Back to the topic at hand, if they are removing these two coasters, Geauga is either going to be demolished completly (The rides area that is) or become a completly different park with a different target audience then Six Flags built for.

I really hope that Dominator isn't leaving the park. If it does than there is no reason for me to visit the park next summer. Dominator was the whole point in going to Geauga Lake.

If Cedar Fair does deside to relocate the ride I sure do hope it goes to Kings Dominion, they desperately need another good coaster besides Volcano.

If you ask me, I would say that Kings Dominion already has a good collection of coasters. I will agree that Volcano is the best one there right now, but I wouldn't say that it is the only one worth riding. The only one that I really don't care for anymore is HyperSonic, since the launch is really the only good part, after that your head turns into a pinball. Dominator may be the second best coaster at Kings Dominion, but I would say that Flight of Fear would be up there with it. I even really like Anaconda, and would be sad to see it go, but I see that there are others who disagree with me.

Either way I may be making my first coaster trip of 2008 to Kings Dominion if Dominator is open then.

^ Actually, they have only have 3 (total) over 48"

55 1/2" TALL TO RIDE

KING KAHUNA (NO ONE OVER 77" TALL)

54" TALL TO RIDE

VOLCANO

52" TALL TO RIDE

THUNDERBOLT (NEED A PARTNER)

Of course, you only have to be 3 feet tall to ride the Jack Rabbit

I'm trying to figure out what the height requirement for the Phantom was before it was modified. It's 48" now, so I imagine it was at least 52" when it was the Steel Phantom.

My prediction still remains the same- That CF bought this park for the same reason that the former owner of Great Escape bought Fantasy Island- to remove all of the rides that they liked and then sell the park. In retrospect, Martin's buying of Fantasy Island had great results, however I don't think that the same will hold true in regards to GL.

At this point if they remove Dominator my only concern is "find Big Dipper a good home" and torch the rest!

If CF bought the park though to eventually sell it, why build WWK?

I don't think they are aiming to sell it, as Michigan's Adventure lives with CF even though it gets 550,000 guests.

What I can't figure out is why CF would be removing Dominator and Thunderhawk. They are definitely the two most popular coasters there, and I can't imagine they are that costly. SV and XF I agree with, but not this. You need one or two good thrill rides even in a family park.

Why not get ride of one of the wooden coasters? It would eliminate more costs than the steel ones, and as you can see with RWB and Villain, they are much more of a pain, and less popular by far.

The waterpark at GL seems to be the real attraction for the park anyway. And if this all does come true, they'll essentially be back to the original GL set-up and still have a kiddie coaster and Villain to boot. Not too bad a situation, IMO.

Personally, I'm surprised Dominator lasted as long as it did at the park. It seemed like far too superior a ride to be at GL. Plus, I've never seen that coaster get the ridership it deserves at GL. I cannot remember a visit to the park where I ever waited more than 5-10 minutes. Most times it was a walk-on to a half empty train. With the attendance being what it is at KD Dominator would finally get the respect it deserves.

Even if the ride side would close down CF could still make a go of it with the waterpark alone. CF operates 2-3 stand-alone waterparks on the west coast, they could do it here too.

If you ask me, I would say that Kings Dominion already has a good collection of coasters. I will agree that Volcano is the best one there right now, but I wouldn't say that it is the only one worth riding. The only one that I really don't care for anymore is HyperSonic, since the launch is really the only good part, after that your head turns into a pinball. Dominator may be the second best coaster at Kings Dominion, but I would say that Flight of Fear would be up there with it. I even really like Anaconda, and would be sad to see it go, but I see that there are others who disagree with me.

I wasn't saying that Kings Dominion has a bad collection of coasters, I just think they need another standout coaster.

I really hope this isn't true about Dominator though.

my only concern is "find Big Dipper a good home" and torch the rest!

And get some better trains for it while you're at it. The current ones suck for taller riders.

Really? I am 6'2" and I love that coaster- its still in my Top 5.

As for the comment about why would CF aim to sell the park after adding WWK- Water Parks are not that expensive to throw together- if they just removed everything and tried to sell it they would get nothing but by adding 50 cents worth of carbon copy water slides they could sell the area for more.

If my memory serves correctly Phantom has always had a 48" requirement, Steel or Revenge. Not sure why people are thinking it was 52".

I can't remember if it was always that way, but I am pretty sure that by the time it closed it was up to 52". Something makes me think that it started out lower and moved up, but not necessarily because someone smaller couldn't be properly restrained.

I wasn't saying that Kings Dominion has a bad collection of coasters, I just think they need another standout coaster.

I really hope this isn't true about Dominator though.

My misunderstanding, I got what you mean now, and you are right, volcano is probably the only stand-out coaster at KD right now.