TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Actually, I'd rather have them rip out Anaconda at KD and replace it with that B&M floorless.

I couldn't agree more. I've been saying for a couple years that they should remove Anaconda, Shockwave, and Hurler. ...and add a B&M and/or an Intamin coaster.

I agree 100% that Anaconda should be ripped out, but Shockwave and Hurler? Hurler needs some re-tracking. But Shockwave... It has the 3rd longest line whenever I go to KD. Volcano and FoF always beat it. But Shockwave's line always spills out of the entrance. And when I rode it it wasn't that rough except for that final turnaround before the brakes.

I'll grant yout that Hurler has been running better this season (they have done some retracking around the big banked curves at either end). Shockwave's line is usually hideously long because it takes so long to check the restraints and dispatch the trains, so I'm not sure it's a mark of popularity as much as it is a capacity/operations problem.

Yea, it doesn't take much for the line to get backed up when they dispatch a train once every 5 to 7 mins. As for Hurler, I agree it's running better this year, but still IMO it a very boring ride.

A popular Web site for them park enthusiasts

"Them there" park enthusiasts are a weird bunch.

Couldn't that at least name their source. Lance broke the news. Give the man credit.

-------------------

IMO, Vortex is a top10 worthy coaster

I thought SOB was the smoothest woodie I ever rode.

I really don't get why people say Vortex is rough.

// I just laughed so hard that I think a little bit of pee came out.

Actually, I'd rather have them rip out Anaconda at KD and replace it with that B&M floorless.

I couldn't agree more. I've been saying for a couple years that they should remove Anaconda, Shockwave, and Hurler. ...and add a B&M and/or an Intamin coaster.

I agree 100% that Anaconda should be ripped out, but Shockwave and Hurler? Hurler needs some re-tracking. But Shockwave... It has the 3rd longest line whenever I go to KD. Volcano and FoF always beat it. But Shockwave's line always spills out of the entrance. And when I rode it it wasn't that rough except for that final turnaround before the brakes.

I'll grant yout that Hurler has been running better this season (they have done some retracking around the big banked curves at either end). Shockwave's line is usually hideously long because it takes so long to check the restraints and dispatch the trains, so I'm not sure it's a mark of popularity as much as it is a capacity/operations problem.

Yea, it doesn't take much for the line to get backed up when they dispatch a train once every 5 to 7 mins. As for Hurler, I agree it's running better this year, but still IMO it a very boring ride.

I'm sorry, but Hurler and "boring" don't belong in the same sentence. You can hate it or love it: It is rough as crap, but has the best airtime at KD. There isn't a dull moment as you are either being jackhammered or lifted out of your seat.

I like Hurler, but I see reason why others don't like it. But "boring" is not the right adjective.

X-Flight, re-named Firehawk, is being moved to Kings Island in Cincinnati, while the next location for Steel Venom is undetermined, Edwards said.

"They were popular coasters, but they weren't the most popular coasters there. We just think they'll be more popular and better utilized at other parks," he said,

http://www.cleveland.com/chagrinheraldsun/news/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1175717251159120.xml&coll=4

Why do i think the above quote will be used again?

If you read more after that post, I said that I had forgotten about some woodies that were smoother, an posted an explanation on why I thought it was so smooth.

He did. He was just continuting to make fun of you for your opinion. It's going to happen a lot to you in life. Get used to it!

--Robb

I think Mi Adventure needs a good ride........Not an SLC.

And coasters that can run 2 trains. I went there for the first time in July, but NEVER AGAIN! one train operated rides are horrible, cept' for ST which had 2 and was great. I may consider going back if this rumor is true enough.

Otherwise? Hell no!

If you read more after that post, I said that I had forgotten about some woodies that were smoother, an posted an explanation on why I thought it was so smooth.

He did. He was just continuting to make fun of you for your opinion. It's going to happen a lot to you in life. Get used to it!

--Robb

Say what you want, but I still stand by what I said and still give SoB a 10/10 on CF.

As for that quote being reused, I agree that it probably will be. That's the sad part. Dominator is a great floorless, but the attendance is terrible, so no one rides it. They could easily say that it wasn't the most popular.

You know, come to think of it, there was one thing from that forum on Geauga Lake Today that could actually make sence if it is truly the plan.

Someone on there mentioned that the height restrictions on Dominator and Thunderhawk are both 52+ in. (I think Dominator is 54). You figure that once those two are taken out, the tallest height restriction is probably the basic 48 in. They also mentioned that if they add something like a spinning mouse coaster with a 42-48 in. height restriction, that it could be seen as more family friendly, which I would agree that it would be more inclusive to the family, since more kids can ride rides with lower height restrictions.

Maybe this is a possibility?

^ I agree. I'm all for the family-friendly stuff but you gotta have at least one thrill ride that's gonna please the die-hards.

An arrow double looper isn't that thrilling of an attraction.

I think at least one of the two should remain there, either Dominator or Thunderhawk.

I would only ride it again if they changed the name to Dominatrix.

How about "Dominatrix: Mondo Bondage"? They could use the old Tubes' song as the soundtrack for the ride (I'm sure they could get the rights cheap).

Mondo bondage!

Been tied up so long!

There's no escape!

Actually, that would work better for Shockwave.

^ I agree. I'm all for the family-friendly stuff but you gotta have at least one thrill ride that's gonna please the die-hards.

An arrow double looper isn't that thrilling of an attraction.

I think at least one of the two should remain there, either Dominator or Thunderhawk.

Wild West World was the exact same. He wanted a FAMILY park, but didn't make "thrilling" thrill rides. Now some of the family is, in a way, left out.

To be a true "family park" a park would need:

A children's area

One or Two family wooden coasters

A small steel family coaster

At least 1 dare devil coaster for the older kids.

And at least 2 or 3 thrilling flat rides

And of course food and gifts.

Having just visited GL not even a month ago, I can say that (if everything we're hearing turns out to be true in the end) I'm not surprised. I even posted a prediction in a blog when I returned that the only coasters that would be left at GL were Dipper, Beaver Land Mine & Double Loop.

I was surprised that this park existed in what-seemed-to-be-a nicer-than-most suburban area complete with new-looking strip malls right across the street. The park didn’t seem to fit the location and selling off the lakefront property seems feasible, especially with two (three if you count RWB) coasters being removed from the lakefront.

I could easily see CF turning GL into a water/water ride park with a couple coasters, going even so far as ganking all of CP’s Soak City's rides to make GL a huge water mecca (a stretch perhaps…). But I can't see why they’d hang on to GL’s old water park slides unless they planned on using them eventually (even though there was that supposed failed sale a little while back) and just recently gated that section off.

Why not free up the Soak City land at CP for ride expansion and "force" everyone a little more than an hour away for a kick-a$$ waterpark and bonus coasters? I'm not saying it's the most genius thing to do, but I could see it making sense to CF. I also think that, although CP won't get any of GL's coasters, they'd receive some flats; for instance, they don't have a ride like Texas Tornado (hey, it’s already painted Iron Dragon orange…) or Time Warp.

Here’s a little diagram of how I could see the park looking in a couple years. Keep in mind that a) no financial costs were taken into consideration with relocating rides within the park, b) no rides would have to be moved clear across the lake, c) only 1 full-sized coaster and 1 kiddie coaster would be moved within the park, d) it seems to follow the “traditional” theme that we’ve heard about. Plus, the money that they could sell the $ land for could fund, I’d like to think, these plans. The X’s will be taken out completely and the X’s with white centers will be relocated to other parks.

This will keep rides with less height to the edge of the park closest to the lakefront property, thus less of an eye-sore to the prospective buyers. It would add the kiddie coaster and carousel to their already-better-than-most kids area. It would also collect their “vintage” rides (Dodgems and Hay Baler {Flying Bobs}) around Big Dipper to join El Dorado (car themed Flying Carpet). Finally, their nice ferris wheel would get an even better location – right next to the water by the crossing bridge, catching the attention of people on the water side a little better. If I had endless funds and the ability to pull off this project, this is how I would do it.

Sorry for the super long post but I just wanted to add my two cents/ideas.

580146511_GeaugaLake-2010-resized.jpg.7b42d6ba5a5dad2c8f6a50df9ebf6494.jpg

Geagu Lake - 2010?