TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

^ True anything is possible. However unless they could find a way to keep the park open year round I doubt it. I'm just tired of every debate about GL going back to the animals. I miss Seaworld too. But can we please stop talking about the past and start looking to the future of this park. That's what this thread was started for wasn't it?

^True.... the last time I went to the "animal side" was in about 2001, during Six Flags' era, and to be quite honest, I thought it was already going down then. Most of the flats (what were there) weren't running, and the place was pretty deserted.

So, actually, I hate to ask, but what's really up with that side of the park now since they took out all the fish and stuff?

I remember both times I went there on my second tour of duty with Cedar Point in 2005 (Saturday in mid-May and Friday late July) you could walk-on to any coaster except for X-Flight. I noticed the water park was packed when I went by there with my friend when we went in July. It is a nicely built water park. I also really like the atmosphere the ride side has, but I can notice the flaws too (broken boards on the station of double loop, hurricane hannah's dead area, ect.)

• 2 weeks later...
^ NO, listen to reason.

X-Flight cost 15 Million dollars to build at GL.

Too much money for that park, right? Agreed.

Moving it and rebuilding it at King's Island costs less than 1 Million dollars.

Quote: "The move from Geauga Lake, which has about 750,000 visitors a year, to Kings Island, with more than three million visitors a year, will cost about $750,000 — far below what a new coaster would cost, Kaiser said."

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/02/07/pjm020807kiride.html

Steel venom only cost 8.5 Million new. Moving it and reconstructing it will definitely costs under 1 million dollars, as it is not nearly the size of X-Flight.

-James "OMG MiA can afford to install a cheap attraction like a relocated Steel Venom!!!!!" Dillaman

Actually James I just saw at another website that Maureen Kaiser(PKIMaureen), Kings Island's Marketing Communication's Spokesman confirmed that X-Flight cost much more than that $750,000 figure. And I quote "The previous poster is accurate. The new ride will take the majority of the $10 million dollar investment. Have a great day!" http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9058&st=0

My guess is that the newspaper mixed up their amount of zeros and that Firehawk will cost $7.5 million. So I'm pretty sure that the move of Steel Vemon would cost quite a bit more than MiA could handle. I really doubt that MiA's could afford Steel Venom with the amount it currently takes in. Steel Venom, even moved, would probably cost more than their most expensive investment in the parks history of $5 mil, Grand Rapids. So I think we could pretty much rule out Michigan's Adventure as the future home of Steel Venom.

PKI got hosed then.

$7.5 Million for a crappy second hand ride??

What's also interesting is that it shows how much they desperatly wanted that ride out of Geauga Lake. Its day to day operations was costing CF so much, they were willing to spend 7.5mil just to get the ride out of there. Quite interesting, but I guess they feel it will give Kings Island enough of a boost to be profitable.

^Why Dorney? Didn't they just get a brand new ride in 05 (hey it rhymed!), not to mention a B&M? I'm betting on MiA, there was a rumor on screamscape a while ago that they were thinking of getting a brand new ride just like Steel Venom, along with possibly a new Euro Fighter which would cost MUCH more then re-locating a old ride (which is still in fine condition) to a new park.

Here's the article if you want to read it:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/michigan_s_adventure.htm

^Why Dorney? Didn't they just get a brand new ride in 05 (hey it rhymed!), not to mention a B&M? I'm betting on MiA, there was a rumor on screamscape a while ago that they were thinking of getting a brand new ride just like Steel Venom, along with possibly a new Euro Fighter which would cost MUCH more then re-locating a old ride (which is still in fine condition) to a new park.

Here's the article if you want to read it:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/michigan_s_adventure.htm

Because Dorney just recieved a new powerline to the park, the same thing that was done at Cedar Point when they installed Wicked Twister. I'm not saying that this is definate proof, the park may just need more power, but it is quite a coincidence. Plus on that site there is no mention of a rumor that Steel Venom will be sent to MiA. Secondly and most importantly, Dorney would be able to support the installation of this ride, unlike MiA. Dorney pulls in about $60 million in revenue, while Michigan's Adventure on brings in about $19 million. Steel Venom would cost much more than a new Gerstlaurer Euro-Fighter. Moving X-Flight to Kings Island cost $7.5 million, will new Euro-Fighters only cost about $3 million. I'm guessing Steel Venom could be installed for about $5 million, seeing as its smaller than X-Flight, but that still makes it far more expensive then a Euro-Fighter. Plus with all the power that Steel Venom needs, it is quite a costly ride to operate, something that MiA, that only brings in $19 million a year, couldn't afford to run. I just don't see SV at MiA, it is just too much for that park to handle. I'd expect another woodie, spinner, or a Euro-Fighter to be MiA's next coaster.

^ Plus that article said a coaster with a unique vertical drop for the area. Cedar point has wicked twister which is basically a larger version of Steel Venom, thus not unique. I do like the idea of a Euro Fighter going to MIA. Either way MIA is long overdue for a new coaster.

I really liked this park, and this disappoints me. It was nice to have a park where the crowds were never too high, and the coasters were decent. Except X-Flight, Steel Venom, and Dominator. They rocked. But I live 2 hours from it, and it was a nice little summer trip. Now I doubt I will be going back. If so, only for Dominator and Big Dipper!

I'm a fanboy but I think it's probably going to Carowinds. It would make sense, there's not an impulse anywhere near here, Carowinds hasn't had a shuttle since the dearly missed White Lightning, it's a park with alot of potential that hasn't gotten anything lately, etc etc etc. Dorney sounds good on paper, but isn't it honestly more of a waterpark? Everything I've seen says during the summer, there's never a line for much in the dry side of the park. Don't really see the need for constant new coasters there.

^ Plus that article said a coaster with a unique vertical drop for the area. Cedar point has wicked twister which is basically a larger version of Steel Venom, thus not unique. I do like the idea of a Euro Fighter going to MIA. Either way MIA is long overdue for a new coaster.

Isn't Maverick's drop over-vertical, like the euro-fighters? By that logic, a eurofighter isn't unique either, so I guess it must be a prototype ride...

--- because screamscape is never wrong.

James Dillaman

You are taking that article quite too literally. It certainly would be a unique vertical drop in the state of Pennsylvania. Anyone know of any other spiraling vertical drops elsewhere in that state? Thought so.

You are taking that article quite too literally. It certainly would be a unique vertical drop in the state of Pennsylvania. Anyone know of any other spiraling vertical drops elsewhere in that state? Thought so.

I hate to burst your bubble, but MICHIGAN's Adventure is not in Pennsylvania.

Lol, he was talking about MIA, not DP, but you do have a good point. It would be unique to Michigan.

But it's not like amusement parks ever exaggerate or anything.