TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Dorney, Carowinds, PKD, MiA, GA, PCW in my opinion all are due for a new coaster.

-james dillaman

PKD just got IJ in 06

PCW got IJ in 05

Dorney got Hydra in 05

The others I can see your point. MIA really needs a coaster. They haven't gotten one since 1999!!!

Send them one of GL's, they've got plenty.

Back the truck up!

I can see why GL has gotten of X-Flight and Steel Venom.

1) SF way overbuilt this park when they had control. 10 coasters for a park that rarely eclipsed a 1/3 of CP's attendance.

2) X-Flight was usually quite hard on the maintenance team over the years, (I'd argue that they spent most of their day on that coaster). And over the past couple of seasons Steel Venom started acting up frequently as well. I really believe that X-Flight going to KI will be much better, in that they have more manpower to deal with the maintenance issues.

3) So many people on so many boards have asked why CF is pulling these coasters out, and to me, it's simple. They don't really need them!

While it's unknown right now what they'll do with SV, X-Flight will be a great fit for KI as Firehawk.

4) They still have 8 coasters including the kiddie, (which is more of a junior, but nonetheless still fun!).

* Big Dipper - A great classic woodie that also holds a small distinction in being the oldest operating wooden coaster in Ohio.

* Double Loop - Classic Arrow Looper

* Villain - A fun hybrid, getting retracked and ready.

* Dominator - IMO, still my second favorite floorless, (behind Kraken).

* Ragin' Wolf Bob's - Another great woodie, that's much improved from 3-4 years ago.

* Thunderhawk - Vekoma SLC...I actually have fun on this thing!

* Head Spin - Only three words...Blunt Force Trauma Not all coasters can be winners!

All this, with a great waterpark, IMO. And the announcement of all the improvements, and more attactions to come in the future! I think CF is on the right track with GL. [/i]

Dorney, Carowinds, PKD, MiA, GA, PCW in my opinion all are due for a new coaster.

-james dillaman

PKD just got IJ in 06

PCW got IJ in 05

Dorney got Hydra in 05

The others I can see your point. MIA really needs a coaster. They haven't gotten one since 1999!!!

So none would be due in 2008? Bearing in mind that Hypersonic XLC is for sale at PKD, so they might be losing that, and it'll be 3 years since IJ at PCW and Hydra at Dorney.

-james dillaman

So none would be due in 2008? Bearing in mind that Hypersonic XLC is for sale at PKD, so they might be losing that, and it'll be 3 years since IJ at PCW and Hydra at Dorney.

It comes down to which way CF wants to go.

They can send Steel Venom to a park that is hurting for rides. In that case they'd probably send it to PGA or MiA.

Or they can send it to a well performing park, to try and boost the attendance of a park with much more potential. In which it would go to Dorney,PCW,PKD, or PC.

Until track and supports start showing up in a park's parking lot it's anyone's guess.

^ That was my point. You can argue a case for any of those parks. I would like to see it go to MiA or GA, as I can't see them requiring a new ride based on their profits, but at the same time they ARE overdue. The other three could easily deserve a larger ride, or even a new ride concept, and PKD already has too many launched rides come to think of it.

-james dillaman

Yea, GA needs a launch coaster, they havent had one since Greezed Lightnin' and that was removed...what...2-4 years ago? But then it seems like a dumb idea because SFDK, just like 50 min away has an impulse....yea i know its not exactly the same...but its still the same ride type.

What amazes me is how people think that just because a park got a new roller coaster 2 years ago, that automatically rules them out from getting another for another 4 years. The amout of time makes no difference in coasters, otherwise Michigan's Adventure would have gotten one long ago. What really matters is how the management feels a new roller coaster would impact attendence, and if the park has the financial ablity to put in a new ride. Sure Cedar Point is going to get something new ever year, while MiA will have to wait for a while, as there is a huge difference in how much each park makes. Steel Venom will go to the park that would see the greatest benefit from it, not the park that is somehow "owed" a new coaster.

And the fact that Steel Venom is probably going to be a 2008 attraction makes it even harder to guess.

Because most likely the parks that don't get Steel Venom are going to be getting some sort of new ride.

So what park gets the used coaster, and what parks get something new?

What amazes me is how people think that just because a park got a new roller coaster 2 years ago, that automatically rules them out from getting another for another 4 years. The amout of time makes no difference in coasters, otherwise Michigan's Adventure would have gotten one long ago. What really matters is how the management feels a new roller coaster would impact attendence, and if the park has the financial ablity to put in a new ride. Sure Cedar Point is going to get something new ever year, while MiA will have to wait for a while, as there is a huge difference in how much each park makes. Steel Venom will go to the park that would see the greatest benefit from it, not the park that is somehow "owed" a new coaster.

MiA got Grand Rapids last year, which was a great and much needed addition. It isn't that they haevn't gotten anything new, just that they haven't had a new coaster in a while (8 years is a while). And I hate when people knock the park, as it is in a market that could produce. Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Holland, and other cities are all like an hour from the park or less, and many people live there. When Shivering Timbers opened, lines were long at the park. I know, because I was there 5 times that season. Any park that hasn't had a new coaster in that long will see sagging attendance, that's just common sense. And don't go saying "It's no cedar point, it's no CW, because yeah, it's a different park. All I'm saying is Steel Venom would be a good fit there.

-james dillaman

i guess Geauga Lake has got too much bad things like 2 coasters

are absolutely gonna be taken out of the park though they're just

around 5 or 6 years old. Steel Venom will be taken out of the park

soon. what on earth makes the park style start to go bad?

And I hate when people knock the park, as it is in a market that could produce. Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Holland, and other cities are all like an hour from the park or less, and many people live there.

Knocking MiA isn't because it has low attendance. When I go to a park I could care less how it's attendance figures are.

Sure MiA has some good potential.

However as it stands now the park needs alot to make it decent. I thought it was the most boring park I've ever been to. Very few decent rides, no scenery, and almost nothing to eat.

Those are all very valid criticisms.

Sure I see potential there, but it'll take a couple roller coasters, a handful of flat rides, and a bunch of food places to make it worthwile.

MiA got Grand Rapids last year, which was a great and much needed addition. It isn't that they haevn't gotten anything new, just that they haven't had a new coaster in a while (8 years is a while).

And your point is? Grand Rapids was MiA's most expensive investment ever. It seems to me Cedar Fair is putting more into the park, they just aren't going to overdo it like Six Flags did at GL.

And I hate when people knock the park, as it is in a market that could produce. Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Holland, and other cities are all like an hour from the park or less, and many people live there. When Shivering Timbers opened, lines were long at the park. I know, because I was there 5 times that season.

But really it isn't in a huge market. Grand Rapids is a city of less than 200,000; Muskegon 40,000; Holland 35,000. There are less than 1 mil people in the metro area of Michigan's Adventure. That is a small number in amusement park terms for local parks like MiA. MiA made only 19mil in revenues in 2005, again very little in amusement park terms, and it doesn't leave a lot of avalible capital to build a new coaster.

Any park that hasn't had a new coaster in that long will see sagging attendance, that's just common sense. And don't go saying "It's no cedar point, it's no CW, because yeah, it's a different park.

Really? MiA definatly proves your theory wrong. Sure they haven't had a coaster in 8 years, but attendence was up 18% in 2005, and as for 2006, I've heard their numbers continue to go up. I do think, that with these numbers, MiA could get a new coaster in the near future. But the decison will not be based on if they "deserve" it or not, but that a new coaster could help the park grow.

All I'm saying is Steel Venom would be a good fit there.

I have got to disagree on that one. I'm sure GL took out SV because it was one of the costliest rides to run. It requires a huge amount of power to run, and just don't think MiA could handle its maintence and running costs. I'd say they next coaster at MiA will either be wooden or a Gerstlaur Euro-Fighter. A big custom steel coaster would just be too much for MiA to build.

I have got to disagree on that one. I'm sure GL took out SV because it was one of the costliest rides to run. It requires a huge amount of power to run, and just don't think MiA could handle its maintence and running costs. I'd say they next coaster at MiA will either be wooden or a Gerstlaur Euro-Fighter. A big custom steel coaster would just be too much for MiA to build.

You really think they'll put a Euro Fighter in there? Mystery Mine is reportedly a $17.5 million attraction. Although much of that cost is theming. I suppose if Oakwood got one, then Michigan's Adventure could get one.

A woodie might make sense as it would be cheaper. I'd rather them get the Euro personally. It'd give me an excuse to finally make the drive up to that place. They currently don't have enough stuff to justify the drive to me.

^^Yes I do think a Euro Fighter is very possible. Yes Mystery Mine cost 17mil, but that was mostly for the themeing. The new Euro Fighter at the Mall of America is only going to cost about 3mil, thats less than Grand Rapids was.

Hmm...

http://www.rcdb.com/id3727.htm

Cost: $2,900,000 USD

Length: 1345'

Height: 67'

Inversions: 2

Duration: 2:00

Elements: Loop

Heartline Roll

I had no idea these coasters could be this cheap. They look so extreme and awesome. I really hope that they completely take over the niche that wild mouse coasters currently have.

^Well there biggest problem is the short ride time and low capacity. However at a small park like MiA, they seem to be a perfect thrilling attraction that doesn't cost alot to build. As for the taking over the Wild Mouse market, I don't see that happening. Euro Fighters are some pretty extreme rides, unlike a wild mouse, which the whole family can ride. But if they got one, I think it would be a great investment at MiA. B&M's don't come cheap.

Mauer Shohn spinner would also fit MiA.

Would actually fit most of the Paramount parks.

As long as it isn't Canada's Wonderland, haha, they got plenty of those types of coasters.

As long as it isn't Canada's Wonderland, haha, they got plenty of those types of coasters.

Not really. They have a mouse and a Volair. That's really the only coasters that could be compared to a spinner.

Canada's Wonderland would be a perfect location for a spinner. A family ride that still provides some decent thrills.

Not really. They have a mouse and a Volair. That's really the only coasters that could be compared to a spinner.

Canada's Wonderland would be a perfect location for a spinner. A family ride that still provides some decent thrills.

Well my point is that they lack a great coaster that I would come to ride. I think the park hasn't really added much for thrill seekers. But if that ride would be best for them, and they feel it could help them, it might be a good ride for them. Its just that I feel they have so many family and kiddie coasters, they might benefit from a great coaster. Now I know that in their area, building these types of rides works for them, the park has a very high attendence, and why build a good one if you don't have any competion, but hey, is it wrong to wish for a better coaster?