TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

If they were removing rides based on cost to run then Villian would have gone before Steel Venom.

Yes, I'm sure a roller coaster made mostly out of wood and operates on gravity eats up less electricity than a roller coaster that fires hundreds of electromagnetic staters in less than a minute.

^Seriously Kraxle...STOP NOW or you will be temporarily banned.

I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Carnage isn't talking about Electricity costs only!!!!

Again...do not let this discussion get out of line. In fact, why do we even have a discussion when there's really no proof it's gone yet!

My opinion:

Company takes out two high-cost-to-operate/maintain roller coasters at a relatively small park with sagging attendance (700,000 guests in 2005). Park still has 8 roller coasters, plenty of family rides, and a solid water park. Company hopes transformation will appeal to families looking for an affordable amusement park option.

Your opinion:

OMG! They are starting to take Geauga Lake apart and nothing will be left EVER except for the water park and a few rides! How on earth will the park be able to survive by removing TWO roller coasters? They are STILL SO NEW! It makes NO SENSE!

Now, which one seems more likely? Don't mind me dramatizing your half because that's exactly what you sound like.

I don't think there is any denying these were the most costliest rides at GL to run. I can understand why the park decide to get ride of them, their attendence certainly didn't justify them. However, I do think that Cedar Fair will definatly not look very good in the public's eyes because of this move. Removing 3 rides in one year and not replacing them just doesn't look good. Lets hope some good new family attractions, like a dark ride, are added in upcoming years.

Waterpark... Niche found.

Yes I do think that there is potential in the waterpark. It was extremely busy the last time I went, while the rides side was pretty dead. But again, I'm confused because I don't know if CF is headed in this direction. They cut down on planned upgrades for the water park even though it could use a few more slides. If they add a LIM water coaster next year maybe I'll rethink my opinion however.

Carnage isn't talking about Electricity costs only!!!!

Yup. Cost to run a ride does include maintenance.

Which a wooden coaster require alot of. Especially one that runs those nasty g-trains.

But really I see this more of CF taking rides that could be more used elsewhere while they continue to evaluate what to do with GL.

My opinion:

Company takes out two high-cost-to-operate/maintain roller coasters at a relatively small park with sagging attendance (700,000 guests in 2005). Park still has 8 roller coasters, plenty of family rides, and a solid water park. Company hopes transformation will appeal to families looking for an affordable amusement park option.

Your opinion:

OMG! They are starting to take Geauga Lake apart and nothing will be left EVER except for the water park and a few rides! How on earth will the park be able to survive by removing TWO roller coasters? They are STILL SO NEW! It makes NO SENSE!

Now, which one seems more likely? Don't mind me dramatizing your half because that's exactly what you sound like.[\quote]

I don't think there is any denying these were the most costliest rides at GL to run. I can understand why the park decide to get ride of them, their attendence certainly didn't justify them. However, I do think that Cedar Fair will definatly not look very good in the public's eyes because of this move. Removing 3 rides in one year and not replacing them just doesn't look good. Lets hope some good new family attractions, like a dark ride, are added in upcoming years.

Waterpark... Niche found.

Yes I do think that there is potential in the waterpark. It was extremely busy the last time I went, while the rides side was pretty dead. But again, I'm confused because I don't know if CF is headed in this direction. They cut down on planned upgrades for the water park even though it could use a few more slides. If they add a LIM water coaster next year maybe I'll rethink my opinion however.

okay, keep in mind that Im not trying to get on anyones bad side but I personally worked at GL and I could confirm for you that Venoms budget exceeded Villains, and on top of it, Venom actually went WAY over budget this past season. So, if that stops the arguement, there ya go.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Steel Venom would fit really nicely in Canadas Wonderland. Maybe replacing Dragon Fire.

Then again, that would purely be wishful thinking. MiA would be a more obvious choice as that park is in more need of rides.

You read my mind. The first thing I thought of was "New coaster for Wonderland!?" I have been saying for a LONG time that an impulse would be a perfect fit for PCW...although I disagree with your placement. I think it would be a nice fit along that pathway between Vortex and the Coca-Cola cool off zone right in behind the International Showplace Theatre. I would still like to see the removal of Dragon Fire bring a hyper of some sort. The only issue with bringing in Steel Venom would be that it really wouldn't help much with the capacity issues. PCW has a horrible history of building rides with low capacity, and the brutal lines go to prove this. Not to mention there has been no announcement as to Canada's Wonderlands plans for 2007...so this could be a possibility.

Then again, MiA does need a new ride more desperately than PCW, and importing Steel Venom would be an affordable way to do this.

I would still like to see the removal of Dragon Fire bring a hyper of some sort.

Doubtful. There's just not enough room there. Maybe a spinning coaster could go there though.

A hyper would most likely fit in the area of the park around IJ:ST,Minebuster,and Splash Works.

Not to go too off topic though. As much as I'd like to see Steel Venom come here I don't see it happening.

If you guys really had any idea about the way CF did things you'd realize that things for any park in the chain are planned 3-4 years in advance. You think X-flight leaving wasnt part of a plan they had for the park, you're crazy.

I think I have a slight idea how CF does things.

1) They're totally incompetent at woodie maintenance.

2) They like concrete and trash cans.

3) According to most accounts, they ruined KBF.

4) A homeless crackhead decorates his box better than CF themes their rides.

And duh about moving X-Flight being part of a plan. I just doubt it was planned 4 years ago to move it over to PKI, unless brokering the Paramount Parks deal took way longer one would suppose.

^They actually worked with six flags during the design process, all along knowing they would buy paramount parks and then relocate the coaster. They had this planned as far back as 1998, Joe. Come on, don't be an idiot!

-James "IM me your number if it's changed, as the one I have doesn't work" Dillaman

For any ride leaving a park is a great loss for some people, esp if it was their 1st coaster or their fav. I miss "Thunderlooper" at Alton Towers, I have to travel to Walibi Belgium for it's sister "Turbine".

I'm sure X-Flight will be missed by many at GL but it's going to a good home at KI.

CP know what they are doing and it will add a new ride to GL soon.

4) A homeless crackhead decorates his box better than CF themes their rides.

I think they did a great job with Dragster and Maverick, but sometimes, you dont need a theme to create the best coaster there is

Great compared to their previous theming efforts, but those could barely be considered efforts. When you look at a truly well-themed ride, like Black Mamba, even CF's best theming attempt to date (Maverick) pales in comparison. For me, the whole park should be a fun experience, not just the rides. There should be awesomeness all around you. At Dollywood, half the fun is just walking around and taking pictures of interesting little knick knacks floating around the park.

I think Maverick is going to be awesome, but I doubt it'll be the new #1. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Well, Black Mamba's theming nearly costed as much as the ride. And yet I have heard it is a deceant ride. Theming doesnt make the ride. I think, by the time Maverick is done, the theming would be a 7/10. From the videos and pics, the landscaping with the water and plants and such looks like an 8 or 9/10. CF is great at that stuff, but yes, not on THEMING. So what? Magnum, MF, Xcelerator, Mamba, Patriot, Talon, Hydra, Raptor, Mantis.......ect. are still kick ass rides! Look at EGF and SROS; they dont have much theming, just some landscaping and they are top rides! So Cedar Fair is probly thinking they can still have a kick ass ride with also great theming. They never want to go all out on theming, but they always do on the rides

So I expect some great landscaping to go along with X-Flight, so people have a good first impression on "The new guys that own Kings Island" in the public's terms.

The removal of Steel Venom leaves sort of a sour taste in your mouth, though...they're removing an Intamin and leaving two Vekomas, a heap-of-junk Dinn woodie, and a painful CCI with blaspheming Gerstlaur trains. If they are doing this all in preparation for the park's long-awaited and much-deserved hyper-coaster, then I will forgive CF, but at the moment it seems like they're throwing in the towel

^ Dominator is good, but not that good. I thought SV was the second best coaster there. Followed by Thunderhawk, which isn't saying much.

The rest of the coasters, were just meh.

The park was empty when I was there the last week in June (SV was running, contrary to what was posted before). The water park, was packed. I think that's GL's niche. A great waterpark with some nice thrill rides and flats that the whole family can enjoy for a low admission cost. Dominator and Thunderhawk will certainly fill the needs for more extreme riders. They don't need X-Flight and SV. It's almost too much.

Villian needs to go. That ride is a severe concussion ready to happen.

Yeah but Dominator makes it all better.

Dominator was great the first time I rode it in 2002, but when I went back in '05, it had developed a pretty noticeable rattle, I dunno if it might've just been a bad wheel on the train I was on or what, but after we hit the final brakes and rolled back to the station, I could tell something was like..."thumping" as the front car went over each tie in the track. I've never been on Scream but from what I hear it has a similar problem.