TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

I have a feeling that the 50's area is on its way out of Geauga Lake. I heard Steel Venom is being moved to Dorney Park too for 2008. However I guess they could work fast enough and it could open this season at Dorney Park, its not a big coaster. I think Head Spin will go to Michigans Adventure next year and maybe there Sky Tower. Or both of those rides will be sold to toher parks like the Chaos rides.

-Jake

Wow, I never really expected this park to lose 2 coasters in one year. Obviously Steel Vemon and X-Flight were the parks most expensive rides to operate, so I'm guessing it was just a bussiness decision to let them go. Does any one truely know how GL was doing financially lately? It seems the park may have bigger problems than we thought. I'll tell you what though, by removing 2 coasters and not putting in any kind of replacement attraction definatly will make CF look bad in the public's eyes. I don't think their removal will help GL's attendance by any means.

Its kind of like well SFMM is only an hour away from Knotts, but it doesn't mean that everyone wants to travel that far for a theme park, but they don't want to spend the money for Disney so they go to Knotts instead. Same logic applies here, but as such, CF realizes that GL is more of a "local" park then a destination park, unlike Cedar Point.

Didn't I hear rumors of Dorney Park eventually going to get an Impulse a while back? Or am I just imagining things? I know MIA would need it more, but the rumors pointed to Dorney Park.

Along with Dorney getting a new power line and the ongoing rumors of the demise of Laser...

I'd be very upset if that happened. There were also rumors of Laser getting refurbished but as of a month ago, it didn't look like they did anything yet.

I still want that rumored GCI wooden coaster before an impulse.

^ I can sympathize. Schwarzkopf coasters are scarce nowadays. I can see why some enthusiasts would like to see it continue operating. However, from an outsider perspective, Laser has really outlived itself and is pretty much a fossil of the steel coaster world. I can certainly see Dorney Park removing Laser to have it replaced with an Impulse coaster.

A lot of people may take these as signs of Cedar Fair "dismantling" the park, but all it really is, is just downsizing and relocating assetts to properties that could benefit from them.

And Flashback has been closed for Hurricane Harbor's "safety" for the past 3 years now too, SFNO's Batman is just being dismantled "for repairs," etc....

If removing 2 of the parks newest coasters isn't a sign that Cedar Fair may have other plans for park, I'm not sure what is. Downsizing would be removing the SLC or Boomerang, not two of the newest/most marketable coasters...

Alright, I have to say it,

It seriously has a really good chance of going to WoF. Im nor completely sure, but they still have a pretty good portion of unused field left, right? I think this would fit in perfectly with the attractions Wof already has, and it would be an instant hint.

Besides MA, WoF doesnt get very much love. They dont get new rides often. This is a really fun park, and management is usually always pretty good. For gods sake, there waterpark hasnt gotten any thrills in like 10 years

Im crossing my fingers(just like i did for X flight, and countless others)that it will go to.WORLDS of FUN!

Alright, I have to say it,

It seriously has a really good chance of going to WoF. Im nor completely sure, but they still have a pretty good portion of unused field left, right? I think this would fit in perfectly with the attractions Wof already has, and it would be an instant hint.

Besides MA, WoF doesnt get very much love. They dont get new rides often. This is a really fun park, and management is usually always pretty good. For gods sake, there waterpark hasnt gotten any thrills in like 10 years

Im crossing my fingers(just like i did for X flight, and countless others)that it will go to.WORLDS of FUN!

They just got Patriot. I don't think they will see a major coaster for another 3-5 years. BTW, Dominator is one of the rides that WONT be leaving. Along with VIllain. If the park is staying in shape, then they will keep those two. One, they are currently the most popular rides in the park and it fits the park nicely. Two, Steel Venom will be running this season at GL. It was confirmed a few months ago that it was being repaired and will be running for the 07 season.

A lot of people may take these as signs of Cedar Fair "dismantling" the park, but all it really is, is just downsizing and relocating assetts to properties that could benefit from them.

And Flashback has been closed for Hurricane Harbor's "safety" for the past 3 years now too, SFNO's Batman is just being dismantled "for repairs," etc....

If removing 2 of the parks newest coasters isn't a sign that Cedar Fair may have other plans for park, I'm not sure what is. Downsizing would be removing the SLC or Boomerang, not two of the newest/most marketable coasters...

Ha. Flashback initially really was closed frequently due to its location adjacent to Hurricane Harbor, but then was then eventually discontinued from operations due to a combination of factors including its sporadical closures due to its location, low patronage, and tight budget cuts (under Burke's management). And Mark Shapiro and Jeff Speed stated in a January 12 conference call with investors that New Orlean's Batman coaster was removed because it only received minor damage and was "salvageable." Repairs are being addressed on the attraction where it is needed and the company plans on reassembling it at another one of its parks as they see fit. So I don't see how those two examples work for your point. They're all true.

As for Geauga Lake, it really is downsizing by removing these two rides. I don't understand how you can't comprehend the fact that X-Flight and Steel Venom are two of the most costliest attractions at Geauga Lake to maintain and operate and for a park the size of Geauga Lake with sagging attendance to retain them, will prevent Cedar Fair from fully restoring the park back to what it used to be before Six Flags was behind the wheel.

Six Flags made a huge mistake by installing Steel Venom and X-Flight in Geauga Lake in hopes to directly compete with Cedar Point. In case you forgot, Six Flags built FIVE roller coasters in TWO years at Geauga Lake. The park's balance of attractions was completely thrown off.

Their plan of turning that park into the Midwest version of Magic Mountain blew up in their face. Having lost MILLIONS on the Ohio park, we saw them exit the Ohio market with their tail between their legs.

By removing X-Flight and Steel Venom and relocating them elsewhere is a smart move on Cedar Fair's part.

Besides MA, WoF doesnt get very much love. They dont get new rides often. This is a really fun park, and management is usually always pretty good. For gods sake, there waterpark hasnt gotten any thrills in like 10 years!

Please.

1998 - Mamba

2000 - Boomerang

2001 - Camp Snoopy

2002 - Thunderhawk

2003 - Paradise Falls

2004 - Spinning Dragons

2006 - Patriot

I hardly call that "doesn't get much love." For a park that attracts less than a million people annually, that's a lot of damn love.

I'm still skeptical. Why wouldn't they announce that they were removing it when they announced X-Flights removal? Also, I would assume that if they were to remove it, they would of taken it off the site a while ago. It looks bad on the parks part to have a ride on the site that isn't there when you go there...

However, from an outsider perspective, Laser has really outlived itself and is pretty much a fossil of the steel coaster world.

Legends never die.. but you, sir, can for suggesting that Laser has outlived itself. It will have a new life elsewhere.

You are correct. Legends never die.

However, Laser, is not a legend. Legends are not two-loop rides built in the late 80's and attached to a foundation held up by stacks of wood planks over concrete.

I also appreciate the death wish. You are SUCH a good person.

However, from an outsider perspective, Laser has really outlived itself and is pretty much a fossil of the steel coaster world.

Legends never die.. but you, sir, can for suggesting that Laser has outlived itself. It will have a new life elsewhere.

How dare you say that to compact Schwarzkopf coasters that still operate in modern parks?

<... is very partial to Scorpion at Busch Gardens Tampa.

However, Laser, is not a legend. Legends are not two-loop rides built in the late 80's and attached to a foundation held up by stacks of wood planks over concrete.

Have you ridden Laser? Half of the aura of the ride is that it is more kickass than most "permanent" coaster!

If you are going to try to call a ride old, at least get it right, the ride has been around since around 1980

Maybe Cedar Fair will move Steel Venom to Cedar Point and put it right in front of Wicked Twister and call it Little Twister.

As for Laser leaving Dorney, that rumor is as old as some of our members. As far as legendary goes, since I still grey out in the 2 loops, I'd consider that a pretty legendary ride. Some people should probably keep their accuracy in threads about Psyclone and Flashback if they don't know what they're talking about.

I'm sure Laser will be just fine. And if by some strange chance it DOES get ripped out for whatever reason (like, for example...an Impulse coaster)...what can one do? I'll tell you. We mourn and get over it.

Maybe Cedar Fair will move Steel Venom to Cedar Point and put it right in front of Wicked Twister and call it Little Twister.

HAHAHA. Wicked Twister Jr.

It would be so ridiculous.