TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

I just posted this comment on the topic at coaster force( I'm Killachan).

I think the ride is going MIA because its the most logical sense when your thinking about it.

-PKI is only about 3 hours away from the GL, people can tell its the same ride.

- PCAW- Already has a flyer

- PGA had a flyer and sent it to another park, so why would they wan't another one?

- PKD- Just got a new coaster this year.

- All the other Cedar Fair parks got a new coaster over the past 3 years

So that only leaves MIA without getting any new coasters or thrill rides since 1998, thats 8 years so far, but got a thrill ride taken out without having a new in there. They got Grandrapids in the back of the park near Wildcat, it seems they are trying to connect those two ares of the park, and put X FLight right next to Grand Rapids.

i think coasters are not more than 10 yrs old should not get re-tracked

for lettin' us feel shaky feelin' on the woodies! they sometimes gotta be

outta control when hittin' on the tight drops or turns and they gotta make

so big thrills and then the woodies gonna make you wanna ride again!

like Coney Island's Cyclone..... it's still fame woodie though 80 yrs gone.

^ I do like the "shakiness" on wooden coasters also, but sometimes, the track deteriorates to a point where it hurts really bad. I rode Astroland's Cyclone back in 2005, and it is tied with Hersheypark's Wild Cat as the roughest roller coasters I have been on. It was almost too much pain to bear, but still I went on it two or three times. Actually, I like only a slight amount of pain on the wooden coasters, like The Great Escape's Comet, and it seems to make the pacing seem a little more wild than it really is. (Or maybe its pacing really is that wild).

Anyway, although I have never been to Geauga Lake before, I do hope Villain will be smoother, because it looks like a great ride.

^ Your are right, Villain could be an amazing ride, but the track flaws really make it awful.

The drops that are closest to the ground, near the on ride photo section are some of the worst sections. Also the second turnaround (lower than the first) is really bad.

It would be nice to have more comfortable trains but regardless... Villain is absoultely awesome when it runs to its full potential. My first rides were night rides the summer that it opened, and I swore it would be my #1 coaster forever... until I went back the following year and it beat the crap out of me.

I think its great news that they are actually trying to restore it. At least they're not packing it up and shipping it off.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to post. Many people forget how outstanding Villain was in 2000. I was "GP" back then, and it was the one ride that really made me wonder how many "other coasters like it" exist out there. Then I became a coaster tool.

Mean Streak should get re-tracked and have those "trims" removed from the 1st drop.

MS is a very good design it just needs to be looked after more often. I'm sure Cedar Fair could replace MS if they wanted.

As for re-tracking some of the "The Voyage", this is a very demarding ride on it's track and trains and needs to be done most seasons.

Grand National and Wild Mouse at BPB should be re-tracked soon as they are very rough.

i think coasters are not more than 10 yrs old should not get re-tracked

for lettin' us feel shaky feelin' on the woodies! they sometimes gotta be

outta control when hittin' on the tight drops or turns and they gotta make

so big thrills and then the woodies gonna make you wanna ride again!

like Coney Island's Cyclone..... it's still fame woodie though 80 yrs gone.

There are two kinds of roughness. One is what I call 'aggressive roughness'. By that I mean a ride that is designed in a way that will throw the passengers around alot. Thundercoaster @ Tusenfryd is a perfect example of this. Its a very aggressive ride, which makes it my favorite coaster experience ever as long as its raining)

The other kind of roughness is caused by the track being 'destroyed' and misshaped caused by wear and tear. This causes the trains to move around more as it travels along the track and when it gets too extreme it goes from fun to uncomfortable, and sometimes even painfull. Its when it comes to that point that re-tracking is neccessary. Unfortunately that happens very quickly on quite a few wooden coasters.

^

Hopefuly you can do it today, people claimed to have seen machines ad footers in the park.

If MIA doesn't get X flight in the next 2 years it would seem to be the most abused park out of the CF parks. Unless their planning on having a major expansion over the next few years.

i was really referring to Timberwolf becasue i thaought they kind of screwed that one up, so im just kind of mad because i dont know if they will screw up a good woody, or make it more fun.

Oh, come on. It isn't that bad. It's a heck of a lot better than it used to be I remember sitting on an axel seat two years ago and nearly breaking my neck. I sat on the same axel seat this year and got an awesome ride.

Satoshi - I understand where you are coming from, but you have obviously never ridden Villain. I loved it until we hit the bottom of the first drop. After that I honestly thought several of my ribs had cracked. Even worse, we were sitting in the second row, which is supposed to be about the third smoothest row.

Thank GOD they are doing this. After the success of Raging Wolf Bobs' retracking, I'm confident it will be much better. After all, there's nothing they could do to make it worse.

i was really referring to Timberwolf becasue i thaought they kind of screwed that one up, so im just kind of mad because i dont know if they will screw up a good woody, or make it more fun.

Im just crossing my fingers they dont add trims

Can we honestly judge the re-track job on TW yet? Last I checked it still wasnt done! And if you're worried about the trim, when I rode it was barely even on. I think you're being a bit harsh on CF here. They may not have the best maitenance history with their woodies, but atleast they're trying!

^ Is it just me, or would that post seem to back up X-Flight going there, as it costs much less to move a coaster than it does to buy a new one? There is a huge untapped market at MiA, and the only reason it doesn't get the kind of attendance it deserves is it doesn't have a signature attraction. Anyone who lives in western michigan can tell you how many tourists come up to the shores of Lake Michigan every summer, and how much money they're willing to drop for a good time. The problem is right now the park (MiA) doesn't have any ride as thrilling as sailing on the lake, so why would people bother with it? Many, MANY locals go to their waterpark during the summer, and every day I've gone their, it's been packed. Mostly season pass holders who don't spend long enough at the park to spend much money, though, as there just isn't enough to do. I think if CF developed it, you'd be surprised at the numbers. Muskegon, Holland, Grand Rapids: just those three cities alone would have a huge draw if there was a "new" steel coaster built. Anyone who hasn't been there, and more importantly hasn't LIVED in western michigan can't judge the amount of market there. It just isn't tapped by half a decent themepark, which is MiA right now.

-James Dillaman

^^

I understand that MIA and CF had to battle with the government for the water park for a few years, but still behind that they could have been planning something for the park. Still not having a coaster a major coaster or even a new thrill ride for 8 years is a long time.

Having a revuenue of 19 millions for one year remember is only one year, I can see them having a revuene around there first the past 8 years. So you made a revenue over 120 million dollars over 8 years. So they can afford an expansion over the years.

^^

I just posted this comment on the topic at coaster force( I'm Killachan).

I think the ride is going MIA because its the most logical sense when your thinking about it.

-PKI is only about 3 hours away from the GL, people can tell its the same ride.

- PCAW- Already has a flyer

- PGA had a flyer and sent it to another park, so why would they wan't another one?

- PKD- Just got a new coaster this year.

- All the other Cedar Fair parks got a new coaster over the past 3 years

So that only leaves MIA without getting any new coasters or thrill rides since 1998, thats 8 years so far, but got a thrill ride taken out without having a new in there. They got Grandrapids in the back of the park near Wildcat, it seems they are trying to connect those two ares of the park, and put X FLight right next to Grand Rapids.

Yeah it seems I got right points to that X flight is going MIA. There is a lot of buisness coming from the upper part of LP and all of the uP

A park like Michigan's Adventure will NEVER put in a ride the size and price of Xcelerator, Millennium Force, or Patriot. And for a good reason. If you have to ask why, then you need to learn a little bit about the business world and how it works.

What reason is that?

They should build some houses out of the Villian instead of shredding it. Or some nice benches. Nah.. it IS a decent ride.. at least it used to be. I rode it in May this year and it was like being in a car wreck.. every couple of seconds. I was amazed how bad it was! I was amazed how bad every coaster at GL was running! X-Flight was hands down the best ride there which is somewhat worrying.

Oh well.. the only reason we went was to raise my girlfriends count. She's new to the coaster world and it was nice to show her how spoiled we are by having Kennywood and Hersheypark as homeparks. Should've driven the extra hour to Cedar Point!

For a park that can't even attract more than 700,000 guests in one season, I don't think Cedar Fair has ANY logical reason from a business perspective to invest much in that park anyway......... A park like Michigan's Adventure will NEVER put in a ride the size and price of Xcelerator, Millennium Force, or Patriot. And for a good reason.

Actually your quite wrong. Take WOF for example. As stated in this article, WOF attendance dropped under 1,000,000 for the first time in its history around 2003. Then came the addition of SD in 2004 and attendance went up just to go down again in 2005. Seeing that a small attraction wasnt enough, they added Patriot for 2006 and attendace went way up. CONCLUSION: A park with low attendance has low attendance because it has nothing to draw in the crowds. The GP who live around WOF were tired of the same boring crap until Patriot came along. A little river rapids ride may spike attendance for a season, but in the long run it wont do much. Location doesnt really have much to do with a parks popularity: if a park is good enough, people will find their way. MiA needs something big to pull in crowds, and I can see them putting in something huge within the next 5-10 years, and you can quote me on that!

What's weird is that everyone always complains about the painfulness of the G-trains, and I've yet to experience that. I guess maybe my body shape is just right or something?

I have ridden The Boss, and I'm not sure if it is the Gerstlauer trains, or the fact that the ride is designed by CCI that makes them so rough. CCI designs rides with high laterals and I think that may be the reason for their roughness... but then again it really could be the G-trains...

What's weird is that everyone always complains about the painfulness of the G-trains, and I've yet to experience that. I guess maybe my body shape is just right or something?

I have ridden The Boss, and I'm not sure if it is the Gerstlauer trains, or the fact that the ride is designed by CCI that makes them so rough. CCI designs rides with high laterals and I think that may be the reason for their roughness... but then again it really could be the G-trains...

Both. High lateral designs with SMALL leadins on radius changes plus trains that have hard seats, very little padding and heavy lap bars = pain.