TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

As to the flyer - why wouldn't it go to CP? They don't have a flyer. As to CP having no room - it would be a great beach coaster or could be fitted into frontier town next to the Mine ride and basically be rebuilt in that lake, flying over the water.

I hope you're joking.

I dont think it will actually go to Dorney as they are rumored to receive a wooden coaster in 2008. It's interesting how they are removing it, maybe they are building a B&M flyer @ CP in the future, thus removing X-Flight so people wont think that there are 2 flyers around the same park.

So what? It is just a rumor. Can't we start a rumor that they are getting a Vekoma flyer? It's the same context.

Worlds of Fun- Probably not. They just got Patriot, and another coaster is very impractical.

We probably wont see something for WoF in a while. It seems to be one of the more overlooked cedar fair parks. all we got was spinningless spinner, and an invert(the only saving grace in the park) and what else, a morgan hyper like 8 years ago?

X flight is the only flyer i have ridden and it is super fun and intense. I would love to see it go to WoF. But as most WoFers know, that wont happen.

just my 2 cents

As to the flyer - why wouldn't it go to CP? They don't have a flyer. As to CP having no room - it would be a great beach coaster or could be fitted into frontier town next to the Mine ride and basically be rebuilt in that lake, flying over the water.

I hope you're joking.

Me to..!!

If CP can barely fit new coasters....they dont have room for old ones. .....

and are they even aloud to build something that goes over the lake?... I mean...do they own so much of the water space?.

I hope you're joking.

Me to..!!

and are they even aloud to build something that goes over the lake?... I mean...do they own so much of the water space?.

They don't own any of the lake, but they could still build into it. It'd just take a TON of legal work and permits and dealing with environmentalists and all that crap to make it happen. I don't think they really have a space problem, BUT, with that said, I just don't see X-Flight heading there. Cedar Point has this precedent for building groundbreaking/unique coasters, plus they're getting one in '07 anyway. A second-hand Vekoma flyer from a park just over an hour away would just go against everything anybody would expect them to do.

Michigan's Adventure or PKI seem like the only 2 possibilities, I think it would be a better installation for MIA (the most overlooked park in the CF chain) but it seems like PKI might be where it ends up.

This really sucks. I was hoping to ride it again when I came back to OH and compare it to Tatsu (the only other flying coaster I've ridden...) but... oh well.

I hope it actually gets reconstructed somewhere where I can ride it and get another opinion... I mean, I've only ridden X-Flight twice, and both times it made me dizzy beyond belief; I think the first time I had to sit down for an hour afterwards (maybe because it was my first flying coaster).

And what is GL going to do with all that parking space they killed to build X-Flight in the first place? Expand the water park AGAIN?

....Meh, I'm just sad to see it go, I guess. (I really wanted to go back and ride it again... now it will require more flying, trip planning, etc.)

-amanda

What kind of pull does World's of Fun get? I mean really. It's not an overlooked park at all. It is just a park that is not worth investing a lot in because it doesn't attract the crowds that other Cedar Fair parks get.

Actually, it gets pretty good crowds. They really don't have any rides with awful capacities, save Timber Wolf, so it doesn't show in the lines.

LOVE SFKK - Why couldn't it? I'm sure it won't, but there's no reason WoF wouldn't decide to take out the Heart of America Theater and put in X-Flight for 2008. At this point, my vote is in favor of PKI.

I personally DONT think it will be going to WOF, they dont need it! Besides, that rumor about the GCI's for DP and then WOF actually have a lot of merit IMO. Just look at the rumors, what has happened in the past (Morgan Hypers), and what it happening now, seems convincing to me!

I posted a thread about this over at Coaster 101

I hope you're joking.

Me to..!!

Not Lake Erie, the lake that the Mine Ride dives over!!. It could fit in that space!

^The main reason I thought you were joking is just because its Cedar Point! Why would the infamous CP want a second-hand crappy Vekoma flyer when they already are getting Maverick!? It just doesnt make sense, and it would definitely not fit in at CP.

I can't believe there has been 11 pages of discussion about who gets a below average, capacity nightmare Vekoma, that was at a good park which almost no one went to, hence the reason they moved it. If it was so fantastic wouldn't there be a reflection of that in attendance.

^No. Cedar Point would be doing just as well today if they hadn't built Top Thrill Dragster. Sure, it boosted attendence for a couple years, but now it's just a ride at the park, however intense and incredible it may be. Same concept.

And X-Flight isn't by any means a bad ride. I really enjoyed it both times I rode it and a lot of people think it's the best ride in the park (which frankly, I don't get, seeing as it is right next to Steel Venom and Dominator isn't far away).

^so what is the purpose of building rides if they only help for a year. Second why do they keep rides if they no longer help attendance. Your logic is flawed. What I was saying if it is so popular and so interesting as to where it is going then why was it not drawing lines at the park. I do understand that rides draw the most the first year, however the good rides at any park have the longest lines (and not just because of capacity issues . MF and TTD still carry hr long waits on my visits this summer so I do believe CP would not do as well without them.

Where would it be built if it goes to one of these parks. I can speak for the one's I've been to (PKI and MiA). I think if it's built at MiA it would be behind the Wolverine Wildcat as they strive to connect the park in a loop, which that park deserately needs. At PKI, I could see it going back by Flight of Fear, with a pathway going out near where the old helipad is.

-James "What are your thoughts for WoF and others?" Dillaman

^WOF has plenty of room all over the place. Scandanavia, Camp Snoopy, Americana, and Africa all have room for expansion. The thing is I just dont see it going to WOF at all even if they do have tons of room.

I also had the blessing of riding one of the Vekoma Flying Dutchmans when it tilted back on the lift instead of the station, although I can't remember if it was Xflight or Batwing. But yes, as previously stated the ride was intended to recline once it hit the lift, not in the station. Way back in Stealth's computer animation it did that, but I believe it never worked right with that one, and only occasionally worked on the other 2.
I'm not sure if I remember this right but I could have sworn that Stealth used a portion of the station to actually raise the seats into loading position. It has been quite a few years since I rode but I remember seeing some metal cradles rise under a set of wheels that ran along the platforms edge and then the opposite happened in dispatch.

Now as I stated I could be wrong but compare the pics on RCDB of X-flight and Stealth and you will see there is an extra set of wheels on Stealth which are set at the middle-point of the car on the outsides. I think that is what I remember seeing engage in the mechanism. Actually looking at the pics of the Carowinds install of Borg it looks like it still has the same cars... Can anyone there confirm my memories of the ride? I'm just kinda wondering if it was all due to it being a prototype as I haven't ridden any of the other installations.

Stealth:

http://rcdb.com/ig583.htm?picture=9

X-flight:

http://rcdb.com/ig920.htm?picture=7

http://rcdb.com/ig920.htm?picture=3

Borg wheelies picture(clearly shows the difference in the cars):

http://rcdb.com/ig2514.htm?picture=28

BTW sorry about just posting the links but I don't really want to to force everyone to download the pics... I think it's kinda mean to the owners bandwidth...

^^ Did you read any reports from the Six Flags years??

The park was ripped open for having a filthy, poorly run park with rude and dumb staff. Basically you're average crap Six Flags park.

I never heard any positives from when Six Flags ran the park.

There definitely were positive TR's, but certain sites tended to have a little bit of a bias. For example, most, if not all, SFWOA TR's from Jeff Putz's site were heavily skewed, however, there was a balance on this site between negative and positive TR's. Plus, as attendance figures will prove, far more people visited during the SF era, so TR's were more frequent before the Cedar Fair era.

Many enthusiasts have admitted they have not been to the park since the change of management. Those enthusiasts tend to be the most vocal, and this clientele is one that Cedar Fair clearly isn't attempting to draw to Geauga Lake.

Both of my visits to the park in the 2003 season were excellent.

Of the far reduced amount of TR's, there were many negative points about the absence of animals, and while it's not a negative, few TRs indicate the park was attracting much of a crowd. That, from a business standpoint, is arguably the biggest negative you can have.

Just to add fuel to the rumors, I took a run through the parking lot at Michigan's Adventure yesterday after band (around 4:00-ish) and there look to be cement blocks (footers? foundations?) out between Grand Rapids and Wolverine Wildcat. Lots of heavy machinery out there as well.

I'm going to take a gander in the employee parking lot next time I'm up there probably next Saturday to see if I see anything else. I'll probably also head up the hill at the golf course next door and use my binoculars to see if I can see that area of the park better.

-James "What are your thoughts for WoF and others?" Dillaman

Well, I've been to WoF, MIA, CP, DP, VF!, and GL (not that that matters).

At VF!, I don't know where they would put it aside from where Excalibur is right now. I suppose they could expand a little more in the back or take out their Antique Car ride.

At Dorney, they could take out Laser or build it alongside Steel Force.

At CP, there isn't a really good place to put it. Maybe they could fit it in CCMR's lot, but I don't know why they would want to.

At MIA, I agree with you in that it would work very well as a connector from Shivering Timbers to RipCord.

WoF has way too much room. They have Orient Express's old lot (but I'm saving that for my dream GCI). They have a huge section of the park that's only seen from the train ride as a "ghost town." There's a huge plot of land where Heart of America Theater is right now, and they NEVER use that, so I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it in the next few years. And last, but not least, they could fit three X-Flights in the room between Patriot and Mamba (next to the highway).

I find it very intriguing that you saw heavy equipment at MIA. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more info.

That's what I am afraid of if it goes to Dorney. I feel like Laser is almost done anway since there seems like a good chance if not X-Flight then it will be the GCI in 2008 and the Laser area seems like the part of the park where it would go. I really would hate to see anything happen to Laser especially since it's portable to it could be re-located elsewhere in the park easily (though I don't see that happening).