TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

^Im not Vekoma engineer, but Im pretty sure that the seats only have power to them when the ride is in the station, as a failsafe in case the locking motors on the seats decide that the want to open mid ride. I noticed this because you can see all the lights on the two boxes that are on the bottom of the rows which house the computer/speed controlers for the motors, and when the train left the station they turned off, and when they arrived in the station they turned back on and the seats raised as they entered one by one, thus pointing that the train only has power in the station.

Now, Im not controdicting you, but allowing the trains to have power while on the circuit of the track would be a pretty stupid thing to do, plus the weight of carrying batteries to power these motors would load up the already oversized trains even more. So to sum it up, Im almost 100% positive that the trains only have power to the seat motors when in station and do not actuially raise and lower on the track on their own like you say happened to you.

Colin C

Quoting the X-Flight press release

Seated backwards [that’s right backwards] four abreast and secured by space-age harnesses, thrill seekers begin a suspense-building soar up the 115-foot monster hill and that’s when the excitement begins to intensify. As X-Flight prepares for an explosive blast off, thrill seekers [remember they are seated backwards] are suddenly reclined to a 30-degree angle and now face the sky with no idea of what lies ahead.

A link to the press release.

http://rcdb.com/document5.htm

I think the lights were more for the restraints than the actual moving of the mechinism.

Vekoma originally designed the ride so that when you went to the lift hill, you would be still seated up. But, as you hit the curve to go up the hill (not the flat curve, the angle up) it would angle down at the SAME rate as the train went up. Thus, you would never feel like you were going down and youd seemlessly match the angle of the hill.

However, that would have required too much computer work and too many moving parts doing too much and was opted to have it go up and down in AND around the station.

On a more park related note - saddens me. I didnt get to GL this year, but I was super busy. I always loved to wait till it opened from being down and getting a quick ride while people ran over to it. Its a great ride.

^Yeah thats what I was thinking, because that press release was written before both X Flight and Batwing were built, and the idea got the axe. But anyway, if Im wrong so be it, it just didnt make sence to me.

And I actuially really liked X Flight, more so then the two SUF's Ive been on! It just did more, and was intence too! I probably rode it 10 or 15 times in a row during Coaster EXT this year, and if you closed your eyes it was crazy! But although Im sad to see it leave GL, Im glad its being rebuilt elsewhere.

Colin C

I have to say I am shocked at how many people enjoy this ride. The first time I rode it I thought it was ok, but on ensuing visits the slow loading, uncomfortable restraints and general routine of the ride made it seem progressively worse on each ride, to the point that my last couple visits I just skipped the ride. Now this is not one of those my opinion is right things, I am just surprised at the love of this ride considering most people I talk to felt about the same. Sorry for your guys lost I will be happy to cast my vote of any CF park except MIA for this ride to help you all out.

^How do you know? I would suspect it to be going to only either PKI or MIA. Also, PGA had Stealth (now Borg) so that wouldn't work.

Anyways, sad to see it go now. It looked like the best ride in the park so I'm shocked that they are removing it. Heck, it looks like that Geauga Lake will become a waer park soon, or the next Wonderland Sydney.

The park was having its golden age during its IMO Six Flags years. Six Flags actually took good care of the park and now its just a park that's removing rides.

Vekoma originally designed the ride so that when you went to the lift hill, you would be still seated up. But, as you hit the curve to go up the hill (not the flat curve, the angle up) it would angle down at the SAME rate as the train went up. Thus, you would never feel like you were going down and youd seemlessly match the angle of the hill.

Which is exactly what it was doing on the day I described a few posts earlier. The date was May 4, 2002, to be specific, and I've attached a photo of the train leaving the station fully upright just to show that yes indeed, the ride can do this!

The ride was built so that the trains have power from the initial (pre-station) brake run, through the 180-degree curve, and then through the entire length of each side of the station. Between the station exit and the base of the lift, there is no power to the trains, but then once on the lift, the trains have power once again.

It should be possible for the seats to rise as soon as the train hits the initial brake run (making for a much more comfortable wait outside of the station), but I've never heard of the ride actually doing this. The closest I've seen is when the seats raise as the train is entering the station.

Anyway, wherever this ride ends up, hopefully they can get all of its nifty-but-unused features back up and running!

xflight_upright.jpg.84775c72f636f0ccc3874ea55c4aea43.jpg

X Flight's train leaves the station with all the seats upright on the night of May 4, 2002.

I also had the blessing of riding one of the Vekoma Flying Dutchmans when it tilted back on the lift instead of the station, although I can't remember if it was Xflight or Batwing. But yes, as previously stated the ride was intended to recline once it hit the lift, not in the station. Way back in Stealth's computer animation it did that, but I believe it never worked right with that one, and only occasionally worked on the other 2. Of course, I only rode each of them once because I really couldn't stomach the long waits just because of the restraint checking (and I didn't think too highly of the ride to begin with). Never have I actually seen the ride return to upright while in the brake run. Heck, its shocking enough if they actually ran both sides of the station!

I have to say that I, like Robb, basically called the Geagua Lake was going to go under.

Anyway. I don't see why this wouldn't go to Dorney. I know that the whole planning thing gets really obvious there, but, why not for 2008? I don't really want it because it would take out Laser and that area over there, but I could see it happening. This thing is not going to be relocated for the 2007 season anyway so it will take some time for site preperations and will allow us to get a good idea of where it is going.

I dont think it will actually go to Dorney as they are rumored to receive a wooden coaster in 2008. It's interesting how they are removing it, maybe they are building a B&M flyer @ CP in the future, thus removing X-Flight so people wont think that there are 2 flyers around the same park.

I really hope it comes to KI. It would be nice to have a new type of coaster there, and we have plenty of space...I just hope they have it up by 2007 if thats the case, since I was hoping to conquer the ride during the PKICentral roadtrip...

Amen! When CF bought Paramount Parks, I kinda figured there would be some canibalization involving GL. X-Flight and Dominator where the train ride is at PKI(Rivertown) would kick serious booty!

I actually heard a rumor earlier in the year that Head Spin (the boomerang) was possibly going to be relocated within the park. With Hyde and the monorail gone, plus all the space where the old waterpark was, if they move Head Spin to where X-Flight was, that opens up a lot of room...hmm.

I doubt it would happen (didn't really seem too credible of a rumor), but it would kinda make sense. That whole area needs a facelift.

PGA- Nope. They got rid of Stealth so why would they buy another?

Knott's- No way. Because it's Knott's. JK. It's already getting something.

Worlds of Fun- Probably not. They just got Patriot, and another coaster is very impractical.

Valleyfair!- No. they are getting Renegade.

Michigan's Adventure- It's possible, but with low attendence there are pros and cons for a new coaster.

PC- No. BORG.

PKI- Very possible. That's probably where it's going. They have a TON of room to expand.

PKD- Unknown.

Dorney- Unknown.

PCW- Unknown.

Sorry for the unknowns. I don't know enough about them. To me, the most possible places are MIA and PKI.

^At least they give their smaller parks decent rides, which is more than SFI can say, and look where they ended up.

Even MIA has Shivering Timbers.

When I said WoF should use X-Flight to replace Boomerang, I was obviously not being serious. I would be overjoyed if WoF got it (they have way more room than most people realize), but I doubt it will go further west than Muskegon.

I grew up in the area and would hate to see GL closed. I would also hate to dee the Big Dipper destroyed.

As to the flyer - why wouldn't it go to CP? They don't have a flyer. As to CP having no room - it would be a great beach coaster or could be fitted into frontier town next to the Mine ride and basically be rebuilt in that lake, flying over the water.

FYI, my sig pic was taken on the Double Loop in 1970 something.

I could see them moving Xflight to CP and it would fit their one-of-a-kind coaster theme.

The fact that CF is removing the newest coaster GL has speaks volumes of future events. I think the only reason they finished the retracking on WolfBobs was due to six flags starting the process and having all the materials for it.

Do I think they're retrack Villain? I think they will. When they move that one too. No sense paying to retrack it and then move it.

Yeah, there were many things I did not like about 6flags, but they did bring a few new ride experiences to the area. Superman Ult Escape was a first for Ohio, as was Batman and they capped it with X-Flight. the animal shows were great and were always packed with people.

To GL: to quote an old CP ride: "I see Earthquake in your Future!"