TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fantasmic's Murphy The Dragon Strikes Again

Murphy's law...strikes again. She fell tonight during the show. The show stopped, and the second show is cancelled. Someone's created a twitter account to keep people up to date on what's going on with the doomed dragon.

EDIT:

New high res photo of the dragon:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs183.ash2/44596_1598782056591_1447204425_31681661_7998684_n.jpg

Photo taken by Richard Takanaga

1080877726_murphyfall.jpg.186c0908d9ded2f4670834cc14481018.jpg

Edited by Mainstreetjake

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disney's entertainment department at its finest. They decided to order Murphy from a vendor to one specification, only to run it at the park to a completely different specification. And then expect nothing to go wrong.

^I must say it does seem like Disney does that a lot. They seem to tweek and modify the crap out of everything but I wouldn't always say it's a bad thing.

Is it true that the dragon is on some type of modified cherry picker like system? I always wondered how they got that think in and out of hibernation so fast.

It's Disney though so I'm sure they'll fix it somehow.

^I must say it does seem like Disney does that a lot. They seem to tweek and modify the crap out of everything but I wouldn't always say it's a bad thing.

That's not quite what Joey is saying.

Tweaking and modifying is a great thing to do, however using something outside of its design specification is asking for trouble.

Dave

Man, it really sucks to hear that Murphy is down once again. Fortunately, it's the off-season, so Disney has time to work out whatever kinks Murphy is suffering.

From MouseWait app on iPhone/iTouch:

As of 10:38 a.m. Murphy is still on the stage and the maintenance crew are working to fix it. The mist screens aren't running, so they are in full view.

If Murphy is STILL on the stage, it must be serious!

^ Let's not jump to conclusions. It could just be an issue that is easier to service if Murphy is in the raised position.

That's not to say this isn't a problem which will take a long time to fix, but thats not the only conclusion that can be drawn...

Dave

There are clearly treating Murphy as a real person instead of a animatronic dragon.

The best advice when it comes to moving a seriously injured person is don’t! Unless circumstances make it absolutely necessary that the person be moved, it is always best to leave the person where he is until stabilized.

^ His (her?) torso should be upright, not angled over. Not gonna play armchair engineer, but this doesn't look very encouraging (especially if it's still sitting out there today).

Edited by Wes

Damn, I saw her(yes it is a her) 48 hours ago and she seemed in perfect working condition. I hope she is fixed relatively soon, I am a cast member at DCA so I will be there quite a bit, although my summer season is almost over, I'll go down to Disneyland on thursday or friday and update.

I was in the park this morning, and there were no less that 13 (I counted) staff and technicians walking around the island and examining things. The only part I saw out was two crew moving a turret that has Murphy's claw attached... they were moving it out.

It was an interesting morning in the park... from 8am - 11am, Matterhorn went down, Alice went down, Indy went down, and Space went down. And they were working on Murphy. There must have been some serious overtime there. (BTW, I do believe Matterhorn and Alice got back up. I left before I could see if Indy and Space did, but I imagine they did.)

It's Disney though so I'm sure they'll fix it somehow.

Like they fixed the Yeti on Expedition Everest? Somehow I don't think a flashing light would be a suitable fix in this case...

Good one! Only thing is the Yeti is about 2345978 time more complex then the dragon is, but besides that the similarities are uncanny.

All I'm trying to say is, it's Disney. They aren't just going to sit around and see if it fixes itself, they're going to do something about it. Whether that means the dragon will stay the same or if they will make him less mobile is yet to be seen. But they're doing something about the current situation, that's for certain.

^ Let's not jump to conclusions. It could just be an issue that is easier to service if Murphy is in the raised position.

Disney is all about the "magic", if they could prevent people from seeing a giant dead dragon in the light of day they would. I mean they cant do anything without putting a wall in front of it. IMHO anyways.

That's interesting Top Thrill... Kinda cool that someone caught it on video. From the video it looked from the start of the dragon scene that it was all wrong. She was leaning forward from the start. Also found it interesting that the crowd actually started to boo!