Poll: What is your major?

Kennyweird

What is your major?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. What is your major?

• Agriculture
    • Architecture
    • Ethnic/Cultural/Gender Studies
    • Arts (performance, theater, visual, etc.)
    • Biologic/biomedical sciences
    • Business
    • Communications/ Journalism
    • Computer/ Information sciences
    • Education
    • Engineering
    • English
    • Family and Consumer sciences
    • Health/Safety/Clinical Sciences
    • History
    • Language
    • Law/Criminal Justice
    • Liberal arts and sciences/ humanities
    • Math/Statistics
    • Natural Resources/ Conservation
    • Recreation/Fitness
    • Culinary
    • Philosophy/ Religion
    • Physical Sciences
    • Psychology
    • Social Sciences
    • I didn't attend college.
    • I haven't graduated from high school yet.

Well, I started out going for Mechanical Engineering for obvious reasons, but then I remembered how much I HATE math! Now...

Associate: Fine Arts

Bachelors: Graphic Design

Graphic Design is what I love. I've been doing it for years and can sit at the computer and get lost in what I'm doing. I can sit here all day and it feels like it's been an hour.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Associate: Fine Arts

Bachelors: Graphic Design

Graphic Design is what I love. I've been doing it for years and can sit at the computer and get lost in what I'm doing. I can sit here all day and it feels like it's been an hour.

I wish I could have gotten into the Graphic Design program! But, Penn State's is so stringent, you have to be willing to declare it before you even start as a freshman, and unless you want to be there for six years you're pretty much stuck doing it and nothing else besides the required general education courses. You just don't have room for any electives at all.

I can't even take Graphic Design courses that are in my major's curriculum because I'm not in their program! It's ridiculous!

Thankfully, the program that I'm in now is the next best thing, as it's interdisciplinary.

I'm learning to do stuff like this. Robb, is this the sort of thing you used to do?

250631_489967367680637_1026245600_n.jpg

Didn't enroll for a full college education. Have taken classes at the community college in fine art/art. I have been a working artist (and a starving artist) for a very long time now I have the experience in color and composition, basic design, fiber mixed media, and weaving (looms). As a child I loved mechanical drawing. Really like using a ruler and pencil to make straight lines without tails on the corners. Have graduated to making curved lines.

I have a

BS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin (So I am a rocket scientist)

Master in Business Administration from the University of Houston Clear Lake

I worked in the Johnson Space Center for 3 years as a space shuttle safety engineer. Currently I am a web applications developer for Schlumberger.

I also have been a Mobile DJ since 1987. My true passions is entertaining people with a ton of high tech equipment. Which is why I love theme parks.

• 3 weeks later...

I started college seeking a degree in Architecture, but then learned reeeealy quickly that it wasn't for me and moved to photography; a major that I think was better suited for me in the first place. (It'd be listed under Arts.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My major is Mechanical Engineering under the Manufacturing discipline. I'll be getting my B.S. degree this coming May after 5 years. I actually found it pretty enjoyable and help boost my creative side. I'm not only good with numbers, but I'm also a great writer, musician, and artist (just have keep practicing on drawing some more).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
I started college seeking a degree in Architecture, but then learned reeeealy quickly that it wasn't for me and moved to photography; a major that I think was better suited for me in the first place. (It'd be listed under Arts.)

3 years since I've made that post, I've learned that "photography" is not an actual major (it's only a focus as you complete a real major), and that a major within Media Arts (recently changed from Telecommunications, and listed under Communications/Journalism) had more of what I was interested in. Still, I was able to finish studio art as a minor!

• 1 month later...