TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TTD Prototype?

I found this file from years ago before CP's announcement for Top Thrill Dragster (posted to RRC I believe). Am I just easily impressed/fooled or does this look like a viable layout that wasn't built due to cost? If it is a hoax did anyone ever take credit for the drawing?

TTD_Proto.gif.0f440e4f5dae2f1400cd6989683e5a42.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure that was drawn while there was still speculation as to what the rest of the layout would look like after the top hat. CP had basically built the ride before they announced any official stats on it, so a lot of people thought it was going to go out on the island and have some kind of crazy layout. Turns out everyone was wrong!

Trust me, I would have preferred TTD to be something more like that as I personally am not a huge fan of the "one trick" Intamin Accelerator coasters. Don't get me wrong, I'd still ride them over many other coasters any day, but I more prefer an Intamin like iSpeed or Storm Runner which does a lot more than just "one thing."

Edited by robbalvey

I can't imagine it taking those smaller overbanks and turns at 90 mph... it looks like that would have to have been heavily trimmed.

You do realize that is a Fan Drawing and not done by an actual engineer, right?

I do yeah. I'm guessing that fan didn't exactly think through "surviving" the ride.

I remember for a while people were thinking the track would turn outwards and continue around Millennium island. I even remember when the red Intimin track for Maverick started coming in a bunch of people were freaking out thinking they were expanding TTD. Either way, its clear that just about everyone wants TTD to be like this

Sigh, If only TTD wasn't a one trick pony...

This design would work if you made it out of KNEX. Otherwise the turns and bunny hills would be taken too fast. Keep in mind that this also would have cost a lot more to build and the capacity would be a nightmare. I used to draw stuff like this when I was 10 years old too.

OMG. Please everyone. Stop responding to this as though Stengel himself drew it up! Let me explain it all to you.... It's a

FAN DRAWING!!!

This means that OF COURSE it's not going to work as drawn. BUT....

The point of this thread is that people are commenting that it would have been nice if TTD had done more than just one thing. They aren't saying they wanted THAT EXACT RIDE IN THE DRAWING TO BE BUILT!

Seriously. Do some of you even think about what you're posting before you click that "submit" button?

--Robb

Something like that drawing would be pretty cool. I may have actually pushed myself to finally go on one of them if they were more than a one trick coaster.

Agreed. This is why I thought iSpeed was so awesome! It was like your typical Intamin launched coaster into the tophat, but then with a full coaster afterwards!

Hmmm....I'm not so sure if extending the ride with an actual layout would be much good. Top Thrill Dragster was build for it's record speed and height alone, and the park wanted the bragging rights for that so I don't really think they cared about what would happen after the top hat.

Nevertheless, if you wanted to expand the ride after the top hat, you would have two options, either you make some gigantic elements in order to keep the G's down (but which will cost you) or you install brakes and then you can make tighter turns, like they did (or are still trying) to do at the Nurburgring.

A third option, would be to lower the tophat and build the rest of the layout with all the money you saved from not needing to build so damn high. This way you'll get something along the lines of Storm Runner, iSpeed or Kanonen, or even Maverik for that matter. While this means that the park wouldn't have got the highest rollercoaster in the world for one or two years, it would have definately been a better coaster.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. Just because somebody drew a ride idea, doesn't mean that it can slap the laws of physics in the face. A little piece of me hopes the person who drew this will read the comments and think: "Hey, those guys have a point, my ride would kill every rider if it wasn't trimmed".

I think it`s hard NOT to dream about something like this to be realized...

If Robb says how awesome even ISpeed is though it`s MUCH lower than that...oh well, that would have been a winner...not only in my book...

Is someone here able to take a realistic guess how expensive it would be to build it roughly like that...and which park (if any) would be able to afford it like that ???

GeorgeT

Even if this is not practical, someone could still build it in RCT3. Then if it fails, just make it crash....make it crash anyway!

Something like this does make me wonder if Intamin builds anymore of these will they try to do something like that, making it safe but still a lot of fun. With a drop that high just imagine how long it could be and how many elements could be put in there. Then, if it doesn't work...make it crash!...lol

Imo this doesn't look like it was drawn by a 10 year old this looks like legit concept artwork regardless if it was drawn by a fan it's excellent.

If this was a real ride it would be amazing Imo

Most concept artwork looks like if it was built likes it's being shown in the concept would kill people.

If SFMM wasn't investing in the S:TE upgrade this would looks awesome on top of the mountain in S:TE spot imo.

Something like this does make me wonder if Intamin builds anymore of these will they try to do something like that, making it safe but still a lot of fun. With a drop that high just imagine how long it could be and how many elements could be put in there. Then, if it doesn't work...make it crash!...lol

They kind of have, but not nearly to the scale of TTD. I think the number of elements could be a blessing and a curse - fun, more excitement, potentially increasingly painful, long (slow loading times because of the long ride cycle; could become boring; otherwise having to burn off/trim 120 mph) - not to mention that, like someone previously in this thread said, everything would be from 400 ft tall down! Not to say we can't dream, though.

I feel kind of like a Debbie Downer in this thread...

Let me clear it up. At a park that is just on semi-flat land like Cedar Point, all that the middle of the park would be is a mess of supports and track that just towers over everything else. The ride would probably hurt the skyline more than it would help it. Especially if the park's skyline was impressive already.

Let me clear it up. At a park that is just on semi-flat land like Cedar Point, all that the middle of the park would be is a mess of supports and track that just towers over everything else. The ride would probably hurt the skyline more than it would help it. Especially if the park's skyline was impressive already.

Yeah, you're probably right. More track and supports in this picture would just look out of place.

img_0165_copy_207.jpg.fdfe3118326fcf0617d7b45ec4164f08.jpg

Edited by BeemerBoy

Agreed. This is why I thought iSpeed was so awesome! It was like your typical Intamin launched coaster into the tophat, but then with a full coaster afterwards!

Quoted for absolute truth! ISpeed is the perfect combination of speed, height, inversions and transitions. More coasters should be like iSpeed!