TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Intense Rides You've Been On

Voyage (super high intensity, super high fun)

I-305 (high intensity, low fun)

Lots of intense spots on other rides:

-the last curve on the White Lightning mouse coaster at Lake Winnie. Is that curve really supposed to be taken that fast?

-bottom of horizontal loop on Mind Bender

-drop-o-death on Cyclops

-the defunct 'twists' on the defunct Chiller from SFGAdventure

Edited by GayCoasterGuy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to go with the majority here....I-305 is simply the most intense Coaster that I have ever had the pleasure of riding. Near Grey Outs on the turn after the first drop and flying through those twisty sections

Honorable mention #1 goes to Kumba....the only other coaster that I can think of that I greyed out on and it's so disorienting.

Honorable mention #2 goes to The Voyage....just an epic ride that gets more insane and intense as it goes on.

X2- The entire ride is intense especially the sky dive.

Manhattan Express- It's so painful it's intense.

Kumba- The intensity is in the positive Gs.

Sheikra- All the drops are intense in the back.

Xcelerator- The launch, that's all I have to say for it.

Tatsu- The pretzel loop is as forceful as heck.

Batman The Ride- The only B&M coaster where I grey out on an inversion (first loop).

Green Lantern: First Flight- This ride is pure hell.

Apocalypse (Wooden)- You eject on every drop in the back especially the first drop slingshot.

Goliath (California)- You easily grey out on that 540 degree helix.

Dragon Challenge (Fireball)- That last corkscrew is unexpectedly forceful.

Green Lantern: First Flight- This ride is pure hell.

Oh yeah, GL:FF completely slipped my mind. It was a really intense ride, especially that moment I experienced when spinning upside-down, coming into the brake-run and stopping very suddenly, causing the blood to rush to my head and making me see stars for a couple minutes!

As far as all-out full length intensity, my tops of the list would include (in no particular order):

The Voyage (it's quite rare for me to find a coaster that I feel I have to hold on for the entire length of the ride, unless of course it's just very rough and I'm trying to brace myself)

El Toro (this coaster has but one small spot where you can actually catch your breath!)

I-305 (especially after the brakes on the drop were removed and the bottom of the first drop was re-done; I never got to ride it before the brakes were put on)

Skyrush (just rode this yesterday for the first time, it has shot to the top of my most intense steel coaster list - I've never seen a coaster so potent that it literally ripped my friend's flip-flops right out from under her butt and flung them away, and did its best to almost rip my shirt off!)

Then there are coasters that have (or had) some very intense elements:

Goliath at SFMM - the grey-out helix

Afterburn - the main loop

Flight Deck at CGA - also the main loop

Batman the Ride at SFMM

TTD - the launch

Nitro at SF Great Adventure - the helix

Hypersonic XLC - the launch

Raptor - the helix

For flat rides, I found my first ride ever on the Zipper to be very intense.

The launches of TTD and KK are awesome, and both Skyrush and El Toro are INSANE!! I rode Skyrush a week after opening so the lift wasn't slowed down yet. Both are GREAT coasters! I haven't ridden I-305 yet- I'll hopefully make that trip in the next few years.

I don't think I'm affected by intense positive forces as I am by sustained, medium to high forces. Examples -

-Millenium Force occasionally gives me a partial grey-out in the back. Let me tell you, the first part of that ride are awesome!

-I've noticed some slightly screwy vision on Gatekeeper's Dive Drop-Immelmann combo (The world's largest Norwegian Loop) in the back.

-Mantis can also screw up my vision in the first two inversions.

-Batman at SFOG caused a brief srew-up in my vision

Ironically, I don't recall greying out on I305 at all, but that was a while ago with the trims. Titan was a looooong time ago, and I don't recall it very well, but I'll be going on Goliath soon. Raptor's final helix doesn't give me much trouble. I think if the forces are relatively weak and slow to come on, or hard to brace for, I begin to gray out. If the forces are strong and noticeable, maybe I brace for them? I don't really even know.

Mindbender at SFOG has good forces in its diving helix, as somebody said earlier. Magnum has intense airtime, along with Blue Streak. As somebody else said, TTD has a good launch, not to mention rocketing 420 feet into the sky in just seconds with only a lap bar.

I've said time and time again that Skyrider, Canada's Wonderland's TOGO standup, is an extremely intense ride, but I'd like to know what it's sister ride, King Cobra was like... has anyone rode it?

I rode King Cobra quite a bit in the mid-late 80s. Probably did it a couple times in the 90s as well. I always liked it, it was fun and always good for a sleek and comfy ride. Fast forward to 2011 and the Shockwave at Kings Dominion (sister coaster to both King Cobra and Skyrider); it was one of the worst rides ever. It was rough, bumpy, etc. I dunno what the big difference was between the KI and KD versions, but one was great the other was horrible. Sure, I was much older when I rode the KD version, but I think it was more than that. Probably years of wear and tear.

Same deal with Iron Wolf at Great America. The first couple years it was smooth and outstanding. It slowly deteriorated into a very rough and painful ride; worse as each year went by. Maybe a thing with stand-up coasters?

I've said time and time again that Skyrider, Canada's Wonderland's TOGO standup, is an extremely intense ride, but I'd like to know what it's sister ride, King Cobra was like... has anyone rode it?

I rode King Cobra quite a bit in the mid-late 80s. Probably did it a couple times in the 90s as well. I always liked it, it was fun and always good for a sleek and comfy ride. Fast forward to 2011 and the Shockwave at Kings Dominion (sister coaster to both King Cobra and Skyrider); it was one of the worst rides ever. It was rough, bumpy, etc. I dunno what the big difference was between the KI and KD versions, but one was great the other was horrible. Sure, I was much older when I rode the KD version, but I think it was more than that. Probably years of wear and tear.

Same deal with Iron Wolf at Great America. The first couple years it was smooth and outstanding. It slowly deteriorated into a very rough and painful ride; worse as each year went by. Maybe a thing with stand-up coasters?

Well, I found that skyrider (which is not just a sister coaster, but an EXACT CLONE) of KC has kept a lot of it's smoothness, only being having a few big bumps in the helix (where the Gs also seem to be very painful on my right leg), and on the last turn before the bunny hills that give some amazing ejector air. For a 28 year old TOGO, I'd say that's pretty damn good... I can only imagine how great it'd be in the 80s when it opened!

For all of those who say I'm crazy, saying how great a TOGO is, Idk... maybe up in Canada because we don't have many good rides (or enthusiasts for that matter... I'm probably the only enthusiast in my town) we learn to appreciate what we got???...Idk

The only ride that I think of as "intense" without relating that to painful was Shockwave at Great America. It had some painful parts, but the sustained high G forces were crazy. Both of it's sister rides (Great American Scream Machine and Viper) were / are trimmed so they aren't as insane as those first three loops were.

I may have already posted on this thread, but my opinion has changed.

Ghostrider at Knott's Berry Farm is an absolute beast when it comes to out of control feeling. That's what makes a ride most intense for me, and it definitely surpassed Dueling Dragons and X2 in that matter.

Even though the MCBR breaks the flow of the ride, speed just keeps coming out of nowhere on that thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Flat rides, I found the Zamperla Energy Storm to be quite intense for the simple fact of being held upside down, spinning for a good 30 seconds or so. Gravitrons are also pretty intense...probably the most intense flat I've done though is the Chance Skydiver...and believe me, I made it an intense ride doing every possible maneuver. (One should try passing the bottom/loading area inverted...it's a head rush!)

Coaster-wise, if we're talking about g-forces and intensity, I'd have to go with CGA's Flight Deck, 2nd half of SFMM's Goliath, and SFDK's SUF. For aggressiveness, Knott's Ghost Rider for sure. It's one I actually hang on as opposed to keeping hands up.

For sheer balls-to-the-wall insanity, Skyrush. I honestly can't believe a ride so aggressive exists, let alone in an American park. There is not a single point on that ride to catch your breath until the break run.

In terms of forces, probably Batman at Great Adventure. I haven't traveled very well, so that's the only intense B&M ride ride I've been on besides Raptor.

I can't really decide whether I think Maverick or Insane is the most intense coaster i've ever been on. Maverick has some really sweet forces (I especially enjoy that turn over the pond right after the launch) that made me more or less pee my pants out of laughter. But on the other hand Insane is so unpredictable and offers some crazy forces so I almost think that i have to go with Insane for the most intense coaster I've been on.

For flats I'd have to say Intamin drop towers.