TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do you care about what you eat?

Invertalon

I mean honestly, people go by the bus full to McDonalds and other terrible "food" establishments without giving it a second thought. You can go to the supermarket and buy something as basic as "heavy cream" and see that is has 4-5 ingredients in it... Hmmm...

Does anybody else really watch what they eat?

I really have educated myself lately on the quality of food (or lack of) that really is all around us. I have been striving to go to my Whole Foods weekly to buy organic vegetables, fruit, eggs, yogurt, milk and even potato chips (I strive for quality of my food, not always the healthiest!). I must say it is nice to see that the ingredients in my organic heavy cream contain only one ingredient... Heavy Cream! You run into this same thing with so many other basic ingredients we buy. Why do people want to buy this stuff?

I mean for example, a chicken nugget from Mcdonalds by volume only contains about 50% of chicken... Seriously. Normal fried chicken should only contain some salt and pepper, flour, eggs/buttermilk, and chicken... A handful at most. Check out the Chicken Nugget ingredient list from Mc’Ds...

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

Yum...

And of course you have those people who complain that organic prices are too high.. Yet will drink endless amount of soda or other junk that they buy, versus using that money to buy superior ingredients for themselves. My eggs may cost $2.50 or $3.00 a dozen, but at least they are not housed in a cage where they can't move, injected with antibiotics and hormones, are free-range and able to eat what the should be eating and have a much better quality of life. The free-range organic eggs I buy are also visually superior to the ‘normal’ eggs you buy in the store... Firmer whites, more robust yolks with a brighter color... Just a superior egg. Same goes with chicken meat as well... They grow chickens for Tyson and other big meat processing name brands in ½ the time of a normal, farm raised chicken yet still weigh the same. They can barley walk or move around because their organs and bones can not keep up with their quick weight gain.

Luckily, there is some hope in the fast food world with some places, an example being Chipotle, using organic ingredients and free range chicken, beef and pork whenever possible. At least some places care about the quality, and it shows here. Chipotle burritos are incredible… Not perfect as far as ingredients go, but miles better than ‘McFactory’, where your single burger patty can contain beef ‘parts’ from dozens and dozens of cow in one single burger.

I highly suggest watching Food Inc, Food Matters and Food Fight if you really want the low-down on what you really eat. It will really change your perspective. It is terrible what is really in the most basic of food.

I admit I still eat "bad" things, but I am at least trying to change my diet to all natural whenever possible. Which is quite hard considering I am not living on my own and live with a family that feel the need to buy whatever is cheapest... Which is what 95% of people end up doing, versus caring about the quality. Still trying to get my parents to change their ways though.

People will always be ignorant to the truth, and have the whole "life is too short to care" mentality in which you cannot fix stupid. However, if you want facts just look around. Obesity, diabetes, heart disease... All on a incredible rise throughout the world at younger ages. Also notice how fast food sales are increasing just as fast?

Luckily, people are starting to care about what they eat to an extent. Organic sales are on the rise with double digit growth per year. Hopefully it will catch on even more and bring down the bad food practices and industries just like big tobacco years ago.

It is sad when a handful of food companies control 80%+ of the US food supply... About 4 meat processing facilities process most of the meat (which are the reason for the insanely huge recalls as well) and companies like Monsanto that are destroying farming because of their genetically altered soybean seeds, suing out small farmers just because they can.

Basically I posted this just for open discussion. Not to preach or change anybody, but just try to inform some that may be open minded and care enough about themselves. Keep it civil with discussions please… Just curious about how other people really view what they eat.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One great way to watch what you are eating is to cook at home. I know what I buy, what ingredients I use, etc...

I still eat for crap on occasion, but at those times - I know that I am eating for crap. Not a secret to me. Sometimes, bad-for-you food just tastes good.

I'm diabetic, so the answer is "no."

Seriously, despite all the bashing that restaurants and fast food places get, you can eat healthy if you're careful about what you choose. Getting the nutrition information is as easy as clicking your mouse a few times, or by getting it in print at the restaurant. Sometimes, less can be more. I never get secret sauce/dressing/etc. on my burgers. If you saw how much fat and carbs those items contain, you'd think twice, too. One example: McDonald's Big Mac. Get it without sauce, then add a little ketchup. It tastes almost exactly the same, yet you save at least 100 calories and 10-20 grams of fat.

Portion size comes into play as well. For me, a "normal" restaurant meal means that I'll get two to three meals out of it. I could probably eat for a week after a visit to Claim Jumper. (I've never been, but have heard about their ENORMOUS portions.)

Over the last few years, I've found it easier to simply forgo the junk. To me, it just doesn't taste that good anymore and I don't need it anyway.

Eric

Yeah, I do care about the quality of the food I eat. But I don't like the label of "organic" because it does not guarantee quality.

For example, if you buy tomatoes at the grocery store, they're going to be crappy, plastic, flavorless grocery store tomatoes. I don't care if they're organic or not. They suck. You need to get the stuff that's grown in someone's garden to get "real" tomatoes.

I do watch what I eat most times, but I have to eat school lunch most days so...not really (well duh du jour!). I don't mind the eat healthy promotions and things like that as long as it isn't too persistent and preachy.

I don't think school lunches can legally be called "food."

I'm gonna go get a 20 piece of chicken McNuggets right now, organic tastes like a$$. I agree with EBL, there are healthy options at most restaurants, even fast food. It's not organic, but the act of opting for diet instead of sugared soda and eliminating the fries all together is a good start, and as EBL said sauces are terrible. Ketchup isn't terrible, but depending on the brand can have a fair amount of sugar, mustard is pretty healthy, mayo is terrible (some people are actually frightened of it, lol). The other enemy is cheese, of course that depends on the kind of cheese and american actually has less fat then a lot of other cheeses. Last but not least try to avoid fried food if you can, but even then always check the fat content, you'd be surprised at how some seemingly good foods are high fat and cholesterol.

All that said, being a theme park enthusiast, it's hard not to eat funnel cake at Knott's and those huge cupcakes at Disneyland (actually damn near everything at Disneyland). Now they have all you can eat all day passes at some parks. Still, Disney sells fruit, Knott's sells corn and there's always an option to go outside the park. So anyways, I'm not gonna get all nutty and preach to people about organic and life style issues, but you can be "healthy" without giving everything up.

Oh, and don't smoke, unless it's a really good cigar.

^ Taking after me with the grammar corrections, eh? But you're right about that one. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Back to food...one of the reasons that Weight Watchers works is that their program doesn't eliminate most food---it's all about portion size. Honestly, that's really the key. You can enjoy M&Ms by eating one and sucking on it till it melts. It's just as good. And by doing that, you can have a third to half a pack of them and be completely satisfied. One time, I saw a guy buy some M&Ms out of a machine (handful for a quarter) and just WHOOOF them into his mouth. Did he even taste them? I doubt it. But eating like that is probably at least part of the reason he had a rather paunchy middle...

Eric

Yes, I do. With my dad having bypass surgery 3 years ago, my mother's father dying of a heart attack before I was born, and my father's father having Alzheimer's and heart troubles before he died, I'm not about to take any chances, considering I most likely am susceptible to heart disease. Better to start now before it's too late.

easy answer:

no

if i would start worrying about what i'm eating and what that would do to me in a couple of years.. i would have been dead already due to stress and other stuff. Have fun in life, no worries.

I guess it's a benefit as well to be from dutch where the meal sizes are not that insane as in the US. Free refills?? does not happen here and i can continue with that list.

Most important thing.. keep on moving. Exercise helps

Back to food...one of the reasons that Weight Watchers works is that their program doesn't eliminate most food---it's all about portion size. Honestly, that's really the key.

I saw a study recently about average plate size in American restaurants and in homes compared to 40 or 50 years ago (link below) and it is directly connected to rise in obesity. If you dump a Lean Cuisine or a Weight Watchers meal onto a dinner plate, it looks very small and you may be inclined to put more on your plate. But on a smaller plate, it looks like much more food.

http://www.nutrimirror.com/people/jwarren/journal/1233236161/plate-size--waist-size

I really don't care what I eat but I normally eat well anyways. My sister is a vegetarian so we normally eat vegetarian when my sister is home. Sadly that doesn't happen anymore because she moved to Chicago. I am pretty thankful that I don't like ice cream, cake, candy, and chocolate very much.

• 3 weeks later...

I always watch what I eat.

I tried to eat with my eyes closed one time and my fork missed my mouth and I ended up with food all in my beard.

Seriously, I try to eat some healthier options and focus on smaller portions (I often fall into the "clean plate" club and continue eating even after I am full). I also grow my own organic tomatoes, peppers, herbs and squash. However, I think the stress of obsessing over your diet can be as bad as eating poorly; so if I feel like having a burger and fries on occasion I don't beat myself up over it.

I know I should be more concerned with what I eat...but I simply have a difficult time with it.

My friends say I have the diet and eating habits of a nine-year-old. Which isn't healthy...and I know I'm out of shape. I'm not obese or even fat, but I do have a belly and I know I'm at least twenty pouds over weight for someone my height.

I keep saying that "this is the year" I start eating better...but it's yet to happen.

I do, much more so than I used to. Ever since my dad suddenly died of a heart attack four years ago, I know I'm at risk. I've been exercising constantly, and I'm improving on my diet steadily. I still have a belly and man-boobs, though...I also have a slow thyroid, I found out last year, so I'm taking medication for that for the rest of my life. As of my last doctor's appointment a few months ago, I have a 159 cholesterol level, which I'm happy with, and my blood pressure's in good shape as always .

I recently stepped things up big time, and started cooking much more of my own food. I already haven't been to a McDonalds or any other burger joint in ages, but I was still cheating and getting stuff from Mexican places, wing places, Chinese places, and local Pizzerias. But now, we recently got a rice cooker and are expecting a cookbook to use with it. Last night, we fixed a lovely dish of ground turkey and black beans with salsa verde on tortillas. I also eat a LOT of fruit, either fresh or dried, and I've recently been fixing myself a bowl of warm Grape Nuts once a day to help with my fiber intake. The only other obstacle is that I tend to eat too fast, and any effort to eat slowly feels very unnatural to me, so I'm still trying to figure that out.

As for Food INC, I tried to watch that once, but switched it off a few minutes in. I just saw it mainly as propaganda for the Vegan lifestyle, and I've always found Vegans and Vegetarians to be rather annoying, constantly pushing their lifestyle on other people. No offense to anyone like that here, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

• 1 month later...

I really care about what I like the health conscious peoples now days. But I guess eating to fast food restaurant sometimes doesn't meant you don't care for your health because it is on how you balance your diet. For me then eating for fast food restaurant or other fancy restaurant do not affect too much in your health as long as it is minimal and it is balanced.

I believe that whether you care about what you eat depends upon your current age.

If your a teenager or in your early twenties, you pretty much eat whatever the heck you want.(McDonalds etc..) But, once you hit thirty, you realize that those pounds don't come off as easily as you would like so you pay more attention to the 'junk' foods.

Being that I'm almost forty (Yikes!!!) You start to think more about cardiac health, and cholesterol, and what the heck is in that food!

But in the end, you need to live your life as you see fit. So whether you chose to smoke, drink, or eat Krispy Kreme donuts, it's your personal choice. You live your life as you want to, not as others feel you should.