TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nail salon charges fat people extra

ParkTrips

http://abcnews.go.com/US/michelle-fonville-charged-extra-georgia-salon-shes-fat/story?id=11461062

A nail salon in Georgia, worried that their expensive chairs might break, charged a customer an additional five dollars because she is overweight.

Michelle Fonville, 40, said that she was "humiliated" when she discovered she had been overcharged because of her weight at Natural Nails, a salon located in Lithonia, Ga., where she lives.

"I was letting my nails dry and was looking at the pricing list and realized that I had been overcharged," Fonville told ABC News. "I said to the clerk that I thought I had accidently been overcharged, I honestly thought it was an error."

"But when she came over and wrote out the prices she then said, 'I charged you five dollars more because you're overweight,'" said Fonville.

Awesome! Anything to save us skinny folks some money! They should take this further - restaurants and bars charging more for extra wear on furniture, governments charging more vehicle taxes for the extra wear on the roads, grocery stores who have to have the scooters for the fat people etc etc

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you apply for a life insurance policy and your a 'Great big fat person' (The Silence of the Lambs movie quote) I assume you have to pay more. But, I guess people don't see wear and tear on restaurant/retail furniture the same way.

Though the Farley Brothers came out with a movie a few years back called 'Shallow Hal' staring Jack Black and Gwyneth Paltrow. Where Gwyneth plays a 300 pound women, but Jack only 'see's' her as a thin person.

Here's a short clip from Shallow Hal where where Gyyneth (who is actually 300+ pounds but appears thin to Jack) damages a chair in a restaurant. (Much like the above article was concerned about)

http://www.spike.com/video/shallow-hal-get-some/2410141

By the way aren't we overdue for a cooking with Parktrips???

Exactly!

I can't stand those old-person 'hang-outs'. They always chose terrible places anyway that serve extremely cheap meals that are poor quality. Honestly, if you can get eggs, toast, bacon, hashbrowns, etc... For $1.99 I would think about the quality...

Exactly!

I can't stand those old-person 'hang-outs'. They always chose terrible places anyway that serve extremely cheap meals that are poor quality. Honestly, if you can get eggs, toast, bacon, hashbrowns, etc... For $1.99 I would think about the quality...

I have had meals at Denny's that were that price and not too bad, though their food isn't something you'd want to eat every day.

Good for that salon!

If I owned an airline i'd tell anyone who touched the sides of the arm rests to buy an extra seat!

When airline tickets can run about $300+ for COACH, do you really think that's smart? If anything you'd lose customers.

They already do:

If you thought paying extra for checked luggage was an insult, you're going to love this.

United Airlines said Wednesday it will enforce a policy to charge overweight passengers for an extra seat.

Passengers who need a seatbelt extender in order to buckle up, or who can't get the armrests down around themselves will have to purchase the extra seat or upgrade to a cabin with larger seating (i.e. first class). If no extra seat is available, they'll have to take a later flight. And if they have connecting flights, they'll need an extra seat or upgrade on every leg of their trip.

If it's any consolation, United said paying for the extra seat would entitle the person to extra carry-on luggage.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/business/United-to-Charge-Fat-Passengers-for-Extra-Seat.html

Maybe this nail salon considers that fat people have bigger fingers, which means that they have to use more product, which costs more.

As for the airline seat thing, why should an average sized person have to spend hours squashed by an overweight person spilling into their seat? Either make "big boy" airline seats in select rows a la some B&M coasters or charge extra.

Eric

As for the airline seat thing, why should an average sized person have to spend hours squashed by an overweight person spilling into their seat? Either make "big boy" airline seats in select rows a la some B&M coasters or charge extra.

Obviously, those big boy seats would have to cost extra since it would mean that the airline could squeeze less seats into the plane.

Another solution would be for the fatties to pay extra to the person whose seat they're spilling over into. For example, if you're in the side of the plane where there are only two seats next to each other, they could raise the arm rest and the fatty could pay the adjacent passenger say, $100, for the inconvenience of having their seat invaded.

If it was a short flight, like two hours, I'd gladly take the $100. For a longer flight though, forget it.

I definitely agree with the airlines charging extra to overweight people. If I was sitting next an overweight person that takes up all of their seat and part of mine, then that is in no way fair. I should have just as much room as that person has.

Although I will say that if that person wants to give me $100 for the inconvenience, I may overlook the issue

That is EXACTLY what happened on my flight from Washington to Heathrow at the end of the Intimdatour. Although she could get her arm rest down, when she put her arms on the arm rests, she extended about a third of the way into my seat. NO exageration. It was one of the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had on a plane. In the end, I asked to move and my dad followed suit.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I don't see why this makes sense at a salon I do think in places like airport, weight should be taken into consideration. Either prices or permitted luggage weight should be taken into account with passenger weight. Fact of the matter is, it costs more money to get a morbidly obese person airbourne than it would to get me airbourne.