TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What area really needs a theme park?

Nashville please. We miss Oprahland.

Oprah had a park in Nashville?

On the vegas front, they have reformulated their tourism plan to shy away from famlies and gear more towards getting drunk, losing money, taking in shows, and of course, getting lucky. They scrapped wet-n-wild, and I never seen much traffic there after the resorts such as Mandalay Bay and MGM Grand built lazy rivers, wave pools, etc. Plus, being vegas and that they charge what, 15 bucks for a ride on the manhatten express, they would surely charge 75 bucks for a park the size of magic springs.

If frontier city in OKC would add a decent big ticket attraction it might be a park worth of visiting more often, however visitor count isn't what it should be, even with the new family suspended vekoma (about 50 second ride cycle, no joke), so I would say Oklahoma needs a nice mid scale theme park. the closest decent parks are WoF and SFOT, Magic Springs is a decent park, but no new big tickets that they can keep running in a while.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indianapolis needs one extremely bad. Indianapolis has over 2 million people and the closest park is over an hour away (Indiana Beach). And really, I'd say Indianapolis's park would be Kings Island even though it's two hours away and in a different state. Everyone I know visits KI atleast once a summer (usually twice than again for Haunt), and I never hear of friends from school going to IB, and some go to HW. If Indianapolis had a major park (I'm thinking a park about Worlds of Fun size would be perfect) than it'd attract people from Indy (all of Indy's suburbs), and other cities like Terra Haute, Bloomington, Columbus IN, Kokomo, Lafayette, ect...

Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix Phoenix.

Easy Question. Largest MSA without anything resembling a theme park. Castles and Coasters is an overgrown FEC. Operating season? Try year round. Land? Reasonable, easy to build on. Competition? Very little. And people already come there for the golfing.

Other than that, India STILL doesn't have any major parks.

Indianapolis needs one extremely bad. Indianapolis has over 2 million people and the closest park is over an hour away (Indiana Beach). And really, I'd say Indianapolis's park would be Kings Island even though it's two hours away and in a different state. Everyone I know visits KI atleast once a summer (usually twice than again for Haunt), and I never hear of friends from school going to IB, and some go to HW. If Indianapolis had a major park (I'm thinking a park about Worlds of Fun size would be perfect) than it'd attract people from Indy (all of Indy's suburbs), and other cities like Terra Haute, Bloomington, Columbus IN, Kokomo, Lafayette, ect...

Sorry but Indianapolis does NOT need a theme park. Reason is actually simple..that city is just a bit too close from, well everything. Didn't Indianapolis a few years back spent a ton of money in launching NON-STOP bus service to Chicago some years back called the mega bus?

also in this day and age of lawyers and such, if anyone in Indy would dare to try to open up a theme park in that city ( no matter how big the city of Indy gets )..chances are one would hear from the lawyers from either Holiday World or Indiana Beach. Chances are..well it won't be nice. Be kinda like the city of Balitmore asking for a theme park and dealing with Six Flags lawyer's over Six Flags America...its called "not on my turf you won't..now back off".

...and this is coming from a guy who IS from Indianapolis.

Miami/ Fort Lauderdale needs a real theme park... You think there would be one, after all it is a huge tourist destination with the world's two biggest Cruise ship ports.

Miami/Fort Lauderdale already has a real theme park. There's just a long access road leading to it.....The Florida Turnpike.

And Fort Lauderdale may soon be getting a replacement for the water park the area used to have back in the 80's. And honestly, a quality water park is a MUCH better fit than a theme park.

Myrtle Beach obviously...

I agree with the idea that Daytona Beach could be a good place a for smaller ocean side park like you see in a lot of other beach towns.

Charlottesville/Harrisonburg/Staunton, VA could be a good location for a smaller park. Thanks to the population to draw from around the area and the existing tourism draws to the region (nature, resorts, colleges and such) it could be viable... Or, the Massanutten resort could open up attractions. A mountain coaster around the ski slopes, for example.

Nashville please. We miss Oprahland.

Oprah had a park in Nashville?

It's a little known fact that Oprah lived in the music city at one time. However, when I typed that I wasn't thinking of her, but rather the southern pronounciation of Opryland. Maybe Oprah should open a park though so we can all get free cars at the entrance gate!

also in this day and age of lawyers and such, if anyone in Indy would dare to try to open up a theme park in that city ( no matter how big the city of Indy gets )..chances are one would hear from the lawyers from either Holiday World or Indiana Beach. Chances are..well it won't be nice. Be kinda like the city of Balitmore asking for a theme park and dealing with Six Flags lawyer's over Six Flags America...its called "not on my turf you won't..now back off".

I have a hard time believing that. Even though this is about Indiana how do you explain areas that have multiple parks that are relatively close to each other (outside of Florida and California) and are each other's main competition?

Six Flags America/Kings Dominion/Busch Gardens?

Hersheypark/Dorney Park/Knoebel's/Six Flags Great Adventure?

Cedar Point/former Geauga Lake/Kennywood/Waldameer?

Kings Island/Kentucky Kingdom/Holiday World?

I would think the increased competition would be healthy between the parks (unlike the CF monopoly here in Ohio) and we'd see some interesting things developed to attract more guests.

I love how most people just say that the area they are living in is the area that needs a theme park. lol Some of the places people are saying is the LAST place that needs a theme park.

I think Honolulu could use a nice theme park, nothing big, but something nonetheless. Also, Alaska doesn't really have a real full-scale theme park, does it?

Oh and Ramstein, Germany needs one also. Totally. Since I live there.

--James

Western Maryland could use something. Closet they have is Kennywood and it is still about 2 hours away.

Delaware could use an amusement park. They had one but it closed down after I believe one or two seasons.

Delaware, ehhh, maybe, depending on where you live SFA is 2 hours.

As for Maryland, if you live in the west you go Kennywood, central and east, you got SFA, KD, HP, BGW, and SFGAdv, (SFGAdv and BGW are both exactly 3 hours from where I live, Germantown, I don't find that to long of a drive honestly). Maryland does NOT need an amusement park, SFA just needs to gets it's act together.

Phoenix? I don't see why not, year round operation, plenty of people in the area, easy (and probably cheap) land.

...and this is coming from a guy who IS from Indianapolis.

What? I've NEVER heard of a park suing somebody because another park because a new park is being built. It's not like Holiday World or KI has a contract that they are the only park within the area. You didn't see Disney suing Universal when they built USF.

Knott's and Disneyland are like 8 miles away from each other.

I'll have to agree with some of the posters above - it would seem EVERY place needs a new theme park.

In reality, I think the spirit of the thread is more of "where are the dead zones" in terms of large parks? (I.E. What areas are AT LEAST a reasonable drive (3 hours?) away by driving and still not accessible to any major theme parks?) from my previous Six Flags experience (actual working) I seem to recall the original idea of Six Flags was to dot the country to make any Six Flags within a few hours drive from most of the population. (Was it 6 hours?) Anyways, onto some analysis:

Sacramento -

SFDK is about an hour from Sacramento, but with that population still exploding - you would think a park would begin construction. (According to latest grapevine rumors, Sunsplash just may become that park...)

Phoenix -

There's a good argument here, but I'm posturing that the heat has a big factor in the on-construction here. (it is, after all a desert!)

Las Vegas -

This is a tough one. Yes, it's Vegas, but Vegas has had a fundamental shift to who they're marketing towards. It's not families anymore. You ave Adventure Dome and Stratosphere - and that's probably all the "thrills" you really can support. Let's face it, Vegas is all about gambling and partying. Plus, it's hot as HELL all the time out there.

The thing with Vegas though, is there are a LOT of locals, almost 2,000,000. I think the issue with Adventuredome and the failed MGM park was that they are on the strip. Locals don't usually go to the strip unless A) they work there or B) they have friends/family in from out of town. What Vegas needs to do is build a park off the strip where they have land to expand, makes it easy for locals to get there, and tourists to visit if they are want to.

I don't think any park can survive on tourists alone, you have to have the local component. The only one that really pulls that off is WDW but that's the main draw for Orlando. Theme parks aren't the main draw for Vegas, so you need the locals.

Western Maryland could use something. Closet they have is Kennywood and it is still about 2 hours away.

Delaware could use an amusement park. They had one but it closed down after I believe one or two seasons.

Delaware, ehhh, maybe, depending on where you live SFA is 2 hours.

As for Maryland, if you live in the west you go Kennywood, central and east, you got SFA, KD, HP, BGW, and SFGAdv, (SFGAdv and BGW are both exactly 3 hours from where I live, Germantown, I don't find that to long of a drive honestly). Maryland does NOT need an amusement park, SFA just needs to gets it's act together.

Phoenix? I don't see why not, year round operation, plenty of people in the area, easy (and probably cheap) land.

I know all them parks are close to MD. I am just over them because I have been to them so many times. I am ready for something new.

^well if you want a leaky roof! I really don't see the correlation between an illegal immagration discussion and theme park expansion.

Arizona's bigger problem related to theme park construction is the average age of its' citizens and the fact that it is in the middle of an f'n desert.

Edited by larrygator