TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What area really needs a theme park?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Oh yeah, that would be really nice (especially for me as I live two hours away and, right now, the closest decent theme park I have from me is Warner Madrid, 6 hours away )

Seriously, though, there is like NOTHING here worth calling a theme park (just a few water parks in the south)

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any large cities that could benefit from an urban theme park? Like, something along the lines of Luna Park + Scream Zone that could promote more tourism and/or local activity?

Like, Philadelphia or Washington? I only ever hear of people going on vacation to those places to see the monuments and museums. Granted, there are really cool exhibits in places like the Smithsonian and Franklin, but I've always wondered if urban amusement parks could work in those areas.

An indoor theme park in Seattle.

With everything that gets built in Seattle, I am surprised no one

has thought of this. Maybe Wild Waves keeps everybody happy

at this point in time, even with an off-season.

Of course, the way PLAYLAND (my home park) is laid out, coaster

included, you could put a HUGE rectangular box over it, and it would fit, lol!

• 5 months later...

There are several areas in the U.S. that I think should have true amusement parks, including:

-Memphis

-Phoenix

-Portland, Oregon

-Seattle

-New Orleans

I would've said Houston too, but they're getting Grand Texas Theme Park.

I'll be a little selfish and say Phoenix AZ haha. I can't afford trips all over the country just yet and with LA being a 6 hour drive a one day park adventure quickly becomes a weekend. We've already got a Wet 'n' Wild and plenty of room for some expansion in the Northwest/West valley. Phoenix needs some good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling really lucky here.

I get to be 2.5 hours away from Kentucky Kingdom, Kings Island, & Dollywood

I can also make weekend trips to Holiday World and SFOG, which are 3.5 and 4.5 hours away, respectively. CP is 6 hours away, and Carowinds is 5.5 hours away. I have it pretty good I think

I can also make weekend trips to Holiday World and SFOG, which are 3.5 and 4.5 hours away, respectively. CP is 6 hours away, and Carowinds is 5.5 hours away. I have it pretty good I think

That would be nice to live near all of that.

I have to agree that im in a good position. Im about 4 hours from Hershey and SFGAdv, 3 hours from SFNE, Knoebles, and Dorney, and like 2 from SFGEscape. Im going to college 30 minutes from Chicago so SFGAmerica will be an hour, plus Cedar Point is on the way down if i drive! Im always complaining that theme parks are so far and i dont have one thats less than an hour but i have quite a few around even if it takes alittle longer to get to.

Raleigh, NC

Even though its one of the 50 most populous US cities its still 3 hours (About 200 miles either direction) to any amusement park. There's almost literally nothing to do here either, I mean, Wilmington has the beach, Asheville has the mountains, Charlotte has Carowinds, and Raleigh has... Sports and Museums (How fun )

There's plenty of reasons to get a park too, the economy here is booming (And stable), there's three major colleges nearby, and theres tons of land open for developement... Plus its in the middle of SFA and SFoG, can you say prime real estate? (or Six Flags North Carolina )

Does a "good amusement park" count? Cause we in Colorado are in desperate need of one. Elitches is awful and worst of all there's zero room for it to ever become anything decent. They'd pretty much have to revamp the whole park, removing most of the coasters. Lakeside is just a small little park, though it does have a classic woodie in Cyclone. But yeah it sucks hard to be a theme park/coaster enthusiast here. If we just had even one great B&M or something I'd be ecstatic.

Does a "good amusement park" count? Cause we in Colorado are in desperate need of one. Elitches is awful and worst of all there's zero room for it to ever become anything decent. They'd pretty much have to revamp the whole park, removing most of the coasters. Lakeside is just a small little park, though it does have a classic woodie in Cyclone. But yeah it sucks hard to be a theme park/coaster enthusiast here. If we just had even one great B&M or something I'd be ecstatic.

I live in Denver and I pretty much agree with you however to be a theme park/coaster enthusiast and living in Colorado, at least along the Front Range area anyway doesn't really have to suck as we do have a very large airport and unlike so many other airports that are losing service Denver is actually gaining flights plus with having United, Frontier and Southwest calling DIA their hub/focus city one can get some very good deals too. One big plus also is considering how so many cities are only an hour or two away by plane from Denver one can easily leave town in the morning, do the local theme park during the day and fly back to Denver at night. My boss recently did this with Lagoon in Utah. He left Denver in the morning and not only was he able to visit Lagoon he had more than enough time to check out Salt Lake City as well and he was back in Denver by sunset.

..of course it would be nice if Denver had a decent park of its own but having access to so many cheap non-stop flights from DIA can make up for it.

I'm going to add two more cities to my list:

-Honolulu/Hawaii: Considering that Hawaii is a tourist trap, I'm very surprised that there isn't at least a small amusement park anywhere in Hawaii. Maybe there's just a lack of interest, or there might not be any good land for building one, but they definitely have the population and tourism needed.

-Indianapolis: Even though Indiana Beach, Kings Island, and Holiday World are all within a few hours of the city, it is large enough that they should at least have something in town.