TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What area really needs a theme park?

^ Playland (PNE) is not a "theme" park.

It's an amusement park, at best.

And there is a difference between the two.

Theme Park to me means landscaping, actual

themed buildings, pathways, etc.

Playland has always looked to me, like some

kind of carnival midway set-up ready to pack

up and leave, at a moment's notice.

Got that awesome wood coaster, though...

Duly noted.

Edited by HowieP

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Australia, all the decent parks are bunched together on the Gold Coast. I think the main major tourist destinations here in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne) really need to get a decent theme park. Sure, they have Luna Park in both areas, but both parks are very run down. Sydney is getting a Wet n Wild soon which is great, but I'd love to see them get an actual theme park.

Also, I have loads of family in Scotland and was quite dissapointed to find out that M&D's is really the only theme park there. If Wales can get a good theme park, why can't Scotland?

Yeh, I totally agree. Sydney for sure. I hope Ammar Khan's talk about rebuilding Wonderland Sydney does go ahead. That would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Southeast Michigan on the far Western or far Northern outskirts of the Detroit area.

The city of Detroit between the downtown area and the city limits is world famous for having very high rates of poverty and unemployment and for being one of the biggest magnets for violent crime in the entire Western World; however, once you go ten miles outside the city limits and beyond (sans Pontiac and Flint) either north or west, you will find sprawling affluent suburbs and small cities with tons of disposable income. Cedar Point is about a 2.5 hour drive from Detroit and Michigan's Adventure is about the same distance in the opposite direction, but if you put a reasonably-sized park facility in Southeast Michigan, many people living there who would normally travel to Cedar Point or Michigan's Adventure would choose to stay near home and go to this park instead.

Right now, the only thing close to an amusement park in Southeast Michigan is the sole remaining Jeepers FEC at the Great Lakes Crossing mall west of Auburn Hills, which only has one tiny E&F Miler kiddie coaster. Perhaps this new park could be indoors and part of a shopping mall, also, just like Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America or Galaxyland at West Edmonton Mall (both are run by the same company). Also, if you were to locate this indoor amusement park at the I-96/US-23 interchange near Brighton specifically, you would be about equally flanked by Detroit, Flint, Lansing, and Ann Arbor. Those latter two are key because both towns have the biggest universities in Michigan and not only could they supply a strong customer base, but also a strong employee base for the park.

Sydney needs a real theme or amusement park, we have a population of well over 4.6 million.

Luna Park as a full amusement park got killed by the neighbours and this was also a problem for Wonderland. Maybe if the new Wet and Wild park opening soon is a success, an amusement park will follow...with Balder and Expedition GeForce clones. okay, now I'm just dreaming.

The more I travel to overseas parks the more I'm surprised that this still hasn't happened. Sydney and Melbourne certainly have the population to support at least a mid-sized park along the lines of Discovery Kingdom, for example. Luna Park's Scenic Railway is lovely but I'd definitely appreciate it if there was something less than a century old to ride.

Still - it is kind of fun to nick up to the Gold Coast for a weekend to get my coaster fix... hooray for frequent flyer points and free flights!

A few of these already have small parks, but these cities could probably support much larger parks than the ones they currently have.

-Huston

-Calgary

-Portland

-Seattle

-Phoenix

-Berlin

-Melbourne

-Sydney

Maybe the southern part of South Korea could use another park? There are still some major cities in the south part, but pretty much all the major parks are in the Seoul area, excluding some small-medium sized parks.

A few of these already have small parks, but these cities could probably support much larger parks than the ones they currently have.

-Huston

-Calgary

-Portland

-Seattle

-Phoenix

-Berlin

-Melbourne

-Sydney

Maybe the southern part of South Korea could use another park? There are still some major cities in the south part, but pretty much all the major parks are in the Seoul area, excluding some small-medium sized parks.

Where is Huston?

• 2 weeks later...
It's weird that people mention Phoenix, considering I think it's a bit too small and too hot for an amusement park.

All water rides! (And not the waterpark stuff.)

A Splash Battle, reverse water coaster. Flumes. Raft ride...

It could work in the heat of Phoenix.

Heck of a water bill, though...

^Hey, at least they finally won a game today.

Lol, I'm at my grandparents house and I forgot to check the game. We have one win! New record!

But Jacksonville needs something other then Adventure landing which has terrible slides. And the only coaster we have is a wacky worm!

One off the mysteries of life is how Jacksonville even got an NFL team. Don't hold your breath waiting for a real amusement park with Orlando so close in proximity. Maybe Sally Corp. can build an indoor showcase park to show off their dark rides.

Just a few I've thought of:

*Most of the Pacific Northwest, and I don't think they even have any major theme parks (mainly Seattle and I think Portland)

*Charleston SC, it's a favorite vacation spot for my family and it would be really nice to have an SFOG-like park but with more emphasis on the southern charm (could see Herschend doing this) complimenting the already really nice city.

*Lake Placid, NY

*Cancun, Mexico

* New Mexico

Some of these might have smaller parks I didn't know about but these are all places I think should get major theme parks.

Only considering US locations, I'd say Arizona is the most in need of a new park. The only park in the whole state is Castles n' Coasters in Phoenix, and that is a very small park. It doesn't necessarily need to be a major park, but a medium-sized park could be a great fit. However, the summer heat is a problem...perhaps a park with an indoor section open all day and an outdoor section open mornings and evenings could work (the whole thing could be open all day outside of summer).

Washington could be another good candidate, but the Seattle area already has two parks (Wild Waves Theme Park and the Washington State Fair), although both are relatively small. Still, I'm not sure that there is another part of the state that could support a medium/large park. I think a new park would have to be positioned to draw from either Oregon or British Columbia to be a viable option.

I would love to see a park by the South Eastern Coast of Massachusetts. There used to be tons of parks over here back in the day, but now there's nothing. I personally would love to see some type of boardwalk, something along the lines of the Jersey Shore. The coast line of New Bedford would be prefect for it! If that didn't work out, maybe a park in Dartmouth or Acushnet. There are tons of farms and land out there for sale.

I would love to see a park by the South Eastern Coast of Massachusetts. There used to be tons of parks over here back in the day, but now there's nothing. I personally would love to see some type of boardwalk, something along the lines of the Jersey Shore. The coast line of New Bedford would be prefect for it! If that didn't work out, maybe a park in Dartmouth or Acushnet. There are tons of farms and land out there for sale.

It is a shame that none of the old seaside parks in that area survived.