TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What area really needs a theme park?

An area I believe needs a major theme park would be Myrtle Beach SC. I know HRP/FMP failed but If done the right way, and done better than HRP/FMP, I think an amusement park could do well in that area. The Myrtle Beach Pavilion was great (RIP), and something could very well go into that spot, which sits vacant, as it has the past 5 years or so....

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I'm in the west valley too and I also understand your points. It was just a thought going North and I haven't really looked at the land between here and Flagstaff so I'm not even sure if there's any available. I also know there's quite a bit of National Forest land too so that can't be touched. We can still dream though, right?

North of here (Along the 10 towards Flagstaff) is some of the most inhospitable land in the country- as in: Nothing short of nowhere- and a looooong distance between. Anthem (North of Carefree) is the last major outpost for about 60 miles- and that's to Cave creek. Sadly, it's not an area ripe for growth.

To the west is the White tank National Forest, and the White tank mountins- which in itself isn't a usable spot- and beyond that is Buckeye- who'd want to build a park next to the USA's largest nuclear reactors???

To the south we have Maricopa, and there would be space there; but who'd want to drive through I10/I17 traffic to get there???

To the east, well, it's almost all reservation land and mountains...nuff said.

I'd say we're in the top 10 for getting a park here- but the question of when and where is still wide open; behind Houston, we're the second largest population base without a major theme park...

"F" Phoenix...it's all about Tucson baby! Bring a park here because we are cooler than Phoenix and our college is way better than that one in Phoenix that calls itself ASU.

Jimmy "Tucson is actually cooler weather-wise than Phoenix" Bo

I point out Berlin - I mean its the german capital with 3,5 million poeple excluding suburbs and the closest park is Belantis which is mid-sized. There once was Spreepark but the owner was known for his dubiuos ways and so the park closed in bancruptcy.

They now rack their brains about what to do with the area of the closed airport Tempelhof. My idea would be to turn part of it into a new city-center park - till 2nd world war they had one called Lunapark - would be nice.

"F" Phoenix...it's all about Tucson baby! Bring a park here because we are cooler than Phoenix and our college is way better than that one in Phoenix that calls itself ASU.

Jimmy "Tucson is actually cooler weather-wise than Phoenix" Bo

All the cool people live in Phoenix... we're much bigger, and we've got, um, uh, more dust.

I would definitely have to go with the Charleston, SC , Hilton head , and Savannah, GA area ... 3 great tourist cities, plenty enough population in 2 out of the 3 to support , and climate is great also. There is only 106 miles between Savannah and Charleston. And Hilton Head is only like 30 miles from Savannah. So my spot would be just north of Hilton Head, which would be about 50 miles from either of the big cities. So less than an hour drive! Kinda surprised this area hasn't been mentioned.

I would also go with the area just north of the Phoenix area, where its not too hot.

Rhode ISland needs a park. we had one but closed in 1995/1996 due to share holders loosing their butts in the stock market and using profits form the park to pay off debt, the park was profitable until the day it was closed !!!!! Cedar Fair should open one to rival with Lake Compounce, Canobie Lake & Six Flags New England !!!!

I would say the Nashville area.

I would like to take this as an opportunity to announce that I'm building an incredibly large theme park and resort center in the Nashville area. I will also be lining up a MLB expansion team that will play in a brand new, overly large and expensive ballpark that I will be building next to what will be the world's largest aquarium dedicated solely to trout. There will be many hotels. Details will be forthcoming but I've already convinced a local town council to approve the plans site unseen.

Sorry, back to the thread...

Yes, Nashville needs a park and a REAL one at that!

Having lived there for a few years while in High School, I can say West Virginia could really use a theme park. They do have Camden Park, I small park in Huntington that is currently the states only amusement park. Of course, they are suppose to be building Wild Escape near Wheeling, but I haven't really heard much about it recently.

I think all the areas that came to my mind have already been mentioned but here's my list of top spots that would be good candidates:

5. Seattle - Tacoma area. Yes, there is already Wild Waves, but that is basically a waterpark with a glorified carnival attached. Firstly, a waterpark is not going to be a big draw in such a cool, damp climate. Secondly, a metro with 3.5 million people can support something on a much bigger scale.

4. Charleston, SC - Savannah, GA area. About 3.5-4 hours to the nearest major park (Carowinds) and about a million+ folks in this area, a medium-sized park geared towards locals could do well. I'm talking about something along the lines of Alabama Adventure or Magic Springs.

3. Prescott, Arizona - Someone took this thought right out of my head. It's been talked about to death already, I know, but you can't ignore the potential for a park near a metropolitan area with a population of 4 million who are hours and hours away from another park. Just an hour and a half drive north and the climate becomes drastically milder. This area is already a recreation destination and could easily attract crowds.

2. Baton Rouge - New Orleans. I know what you're thinking. Six Flags New Orleans and Hurricanes. But Katrina was no ordinary storm, and the location of SFNO was not well planned out. If done properly, a park in between these two large cities could easily be a great success.

1. Houston. This one is a no-brainer. 6 million people. No major park within three or four hours. The population is still mourning the loss of the beloved AstroWorld. Cheap and plentiful acreage on the outskirts of town. An economy that has fared remarkably well through the economic downturn. If EarthQuest Adventures doesn't happen, surely some other developer will put two and two together and build something, because there are some serious profits to be made here.

On a side note, I think Las Vegas' best bet would be a water park. Also, Honolulu is a nice thought but wouldn't work for a few reasons. A) Land is FAR too expensive. The attendance would have to match that of the Orlando parks just for the land costs to be recouped. B) Yes, tourism is huge in Hawaii, but people go there to relax in paradise, not ride roller coasters. They can do that on the mainland. C) The locals would not be enough to make it work. Even if every one of the 1.3 million citizens of the whole state visited the park, that probably wouldn't be enough to keep an expensive project like this afloat. But I could definitely see a small water park working.

Pretty much EVERY STATE between California and Tennessee (excluding parts of Texas)

Alright, there are a few exceptions (Lagoon, AA, etc.) but I think you pretty much get the picture. Oh, and anywhere north of California as well.