TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Yet another bus crash at WDW

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-disney-bus-crash-20100820,0,6872216.story

A Disney bus with 26 passengers hit a PT Cruiser near Disney's Hollywood Studios this afternoon.

Injuries are reported, however it's unclear how many people were hurt.

The Florida Highway Patrol is at the scene. No other details were immediately available. The Orlando Sentinel is headed to the crash.

This is a breaking news story. Check back later for more information.

I realize that bus accidents happen everyday, and only the ones on Disney property get reported. But come on Disney, it's 2010 already. It's time to start thinking of other transportation options than the ones you are currently using. Last time I looked, buses weren't really very Magical.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the accidents are not the disney bus drivers fault. The problem is, when it is there fault, it gets plastered all over the news. People are always cutting busses off, and trying to pass them because it must be a huge problem to be behind them. Believe me, as I used to be a charter bus driver.

Disneyworld is like a city. There are bound to be accidents there all the time, just like in other citys. The city of "Disney", has more busses than any other city I know of. That being said, there is bound to be more accidents with busses than in a normal city.

What other options of transportation would there be? They have a monorail, and some boat service as well.

It's time to start thinking of other transportation options than the ones you are currently using. Last time I looked, buses weren't really very Magical.

Yeah, it would be awesome if they tricked the resort out so that you could go everywhere by a network of monorails and people movers. Obviously, that's not going to happen because of the cost. Nor should it since the money would be better spent on new attractions.

And while they're at it, they should remove the Monorail because of the accidents it's had as well. I guess they should remove Mission Space, Splash Mountain and any other ride where there has been an 'incident' because it's the 21st century and accidents shouldn't happen.

Obviously that was sarcasm, but you can't expect to move millions of people around a resort of that scale without a few traffic accidents.

But come on Disney, it's 2010 already. It's time to start thinking of other transportation options than the ones you are currently using. Last time I looked, buses weren't really very Magical.

Have any suggestions that wouldn't cost billions of dollars and take years to construct? Doesn't seem like there is much else they can do other than busses.

Edited by Jew

Have any suggestions that wouldn't cost billions of dollars and take years to construct?

I'd be all for a cross-resort monorail endeavor. Each park and it's surrounding resorts could each get it's on monorail, and then have them all cycle through the TTC.

Have any suggestions that wouldn't cost billions of dollars and take years to construct?

I'd be all for a cross-resort monorail endeavor. Each park and it's surrounding resorts could each get it's on monorail, and then have them all cycle through the TTC.

I think this suggestion is the exact opposite of what he was looking for. Considering that monorail costs could be $25 million per mile or more, this could easily be in the billion dollar range to connect every piece of property that disney has at Walt Disney World.

I think this suggestion is the exact opposite of what he was looking for. Considering that monorail costs could be $25 million per mile or more, this could easily be in the billion dollar range to connect every piece of property that disney has at Walt Disney World.

I'm pretty sure Disney has money.

I'm sure the buses and their drivers are fine. I live in a tourist area, and I can attest to the fact that people on vacation check their brains out at the gate. We have visitors traveling 45 miles an hour and suddenly coming to a complete stop to take a picture of a squirrel that just crossed the road (not to mention people stopping in the middle of the road, getting OUT OF THE CAR, and taking a picture of a bison 200 yards away). I have no doubt that they have similar issues at WDW. If anything, dedicated bus roads or lanes may be a more financially feasible option.

I think that if you took the total number of crashes per day, and divided by the total number of buses running a route per day, you would find that your percentage of crashes per bus route per day would be way less then 1%. Now I don't need a business degree to know that less then 1% is not worth billions of dollars.

But underground rocket monkeys would be kind of awesome!

• 4 months later...

Wasn't sure if we wanted a new thread ... but it's happened again. But this time the bus struck a pedestrian at Port Orleans and killed him.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2010/december/187535/Disney-bus-involved-in-deadly-accident?cmpid=twitter

Florida Highway Patrol investigators told News 13 the bus hit Robert Krueger, 69, at about 6 p.m. in the parking lot of the Port Orleans Resort.

Troopers said Krueger was not in a crosswalk when he stepped in front of the bus and the bus driver didn't have time to stop.

Krueger was taken to Orlando Medical Center where he later died.

Krueger was from Yarmouthport, Massachusetts.

The crash is still under investigation, but troopers told News 13 the bus driver will likely not be charged.

In a statement to News 13, the president of Disney World, Meg Crofton, said:

We offer our deepest condolences to the guests’ family and loved ones. We are doing all we can for them during this difficult time.

My high school had a parking lot across the street students had to cross. To quote our school's police officer "If you cross the crosswalk and get hit by a car, someone's going to jail. If you cross even six inches outside the cross walk....well....you just got hit by a car."

The latest article translates to "The pedestrian could have used better judgement, or could have at least looked for traffic before crossing."

As far as going to an all monorail system... Other than costing a ton of money, you have to factor in that more monorail track + more stations + more trains = more chance of accidents on a system where if something goes wrong it could disable the ability to move guests more than the bus line could.

Crazy. I evidently drove right by there just before it happened. I guess I could've warned the guy to not be so stupid. Oh well.

As far as going to an all monorail system... Other than costing a ton of money, you have to factor in that more monorail track + more stations + more trains = more chance of accidents on a system where if something goes wrong it could disable the ability to move guests more than the bus line could.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the thought process behind building more lines.....or anything for that matter.

I'm pretty sure Disney has money.

I'm pretty sure that Disney doesn't spend excess money on things that don't make them money in the near future. I was having a conversation with a couple of bus drivers about upgrading some of their Gillig buses to hybrids. Their answer was that Disney had already "experimented" with a few and found that the cost of initially installing said buses was to much, even though it would have saved them million on gas each year. It seems like because the transportation service is free, that means that it should recieve less consideration for upgrades than the money making parks.

If Disney were to expand their monorail that much, the cost would be outrageous. WDW parks are set pretty far away from each other, and the roads inside the place are pretty much like 4 lane highways! Also, that monorail would have to have a pretty high capacity to pick up people from all the resorts and carry them to a park. I just don't see that happening for a long time. And, like some have said, the parks at WDW may be "magical", but the bus drivers and tourists who brought along their cars aren't. There are accidents every day. I also want to reinforce the point that the monorails at Disney have had some pretty terrible accidents, too. There isn't really a "safer" transportion system unless you wrapped the tourists in bubble wrap and gave them helmets and kneepads when they boarded the bus