TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Losing a "beer" belly :-)

adamas

As some of you know i have what is called a beer belly. When i went to orlando this past weekend i fit on all the coasters that I wanted to ride but just barely fit the big boy seats. I want to think that the problem is the belly but perhaps it is my height / shoulders which in that case there is nothing i can do about it.. What would you reccomend to do for excersise that is CHEAP (saving for next years trips) and that will cause thinner thighs and belly. I am thinking just walking and not eating as much will help. No junk food as well as that seems to be were weight is put on for me.. Does a positive attidude really help as much as they say? I might just make this a blog so that way when 2011 comes and I go to cedar point I can inform you of the progress.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always gave the excuse that it was the size of my shoulders/my height/anything other than my gut that was the problem. Then I started running and lost 40lbs and can fit on the rides perfectly.

As for losing it ... and doing it cheap without a gym, etc:

First, you start walking. Try a mile ... once you are good with that go 1 1/2 miles and keep increasing by 1/2 mile increments as you get more comfortable with it. Then you start to jog a little bit. Start with 1/2 mile and increase your running time the same way you did with your walking.

Don't be afraid to take walking breaks when you are running. Such as, run for 2 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, etc. The important thing is to keep moving.

In January I could barely run for 5 minutes without stopping. A little over a week ago I ran 10 miles in 2 hours and I'm running the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.

Set yourself a goal, doesn't have to be a weight-loss goal, but a goal such as "I want to be able to run 2 miles by January 1st" or something like that. For me setting "Weight Loss" goals was getting VERY discouraging because I would miss the goals. But setting other kinds of goals like "not wasting the $125 I spent for the 1/2 Marathon" was more motivating than the actual weight.

Start with simple exercises like walking/jogging, lifting weights, etc. a few times a week, then work your way up. You can also try counting calories. Don't go over 2,000-2,500 per day. Lastly, DON'T STARVE YOURSELF, that's horrible for your body and metabolism, and will cause you to eventually lose weight slower because your metabolism slows down so much. Try eating 3-5 healthy meals a day, but keeping under that calorie limit. Good luck!

Again, probably the wrong thread, could probably retitle it to be more about fitting on rides, but then again there is probably a thread about that already too.

In any case, I will let the admins handle that and just tell you that using a meal replacement shake for one meal a day and switching breakfast to something low fat (oatmeal?) works. With a little exercise you can lose a couple pounds a week.

Cut out any cokes you may be drinking, and replace with water. 10 calories per fluid ounce in a coke, 0 in a glass of water. I did this a few years ago when I was drinking a case a week, and lost 40 pounds in 6 months without really working out much. If you don't drink that much coke, well, then I guess that won't work. Bring your caloric intake down to 2000-2500... its amazing how many calories we can rack up on fried and fatty foods

You probably could cut out beer, but I could never consciously recommend that.

Today I started lose some Mass before Kings Island in October plan. The weather was finally nice enough to ride my bike. I only rode five miles because I some issues with my water pouch thing and because I am starting again after not riding for three months. I might be fine because last year I was right around 290. I was able ride Diamondback and all the rides at Kings Island last year. When I did ride DB the ride op had to push the bar down for me to ride. Next week I will be sweating my gut off (hopefully) when I go down to New Orleans with my church on a mission trip rebuilding homes. Goal is to be down to 200-220 by next year and when I do, I am heading an hour south and going to die the Blue Flash.

eat fish, baked or boiled, not fried, no hush puppies. shrimp and talapia are your friends and can be cooked several ways. eat it with a salad, slaw, or a variety of other vegies, eating cabbage soup will also help to "flush" your system, just be close to the "flusher"

Just start walking. I've just started a job where I have hour long lunches and I'm only about a mile from Legoland so I've been walking around there for lunch. The only full sized meal I eat is dinner, the rest is broken up into small portion healthy 'snacks' throughout the day. Banana and some juice for breakfast (or wheat toast or some healthy cereal), some peanuts and yogurt at my first break, maybe some grilled chicken and salad at lunch (find some fat free dressings you like), some fruit and more peanuts at second break. And besides maybe some juice or coffee (no sugar or creamer) drink water! I used to drink at least 3 cans of coke a day, it took a long time to wean myself off, but I really do feel better without it now. Just from cutting soda out earlier this year I shed 20 pounds without the walking and diet changes, so hopefully I can get back down to where I was when I was in the military again with more effort. Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of lots of walking will help do the trick. That's how I've kept my own weight in check over the years. It's easy to do, can be done almost anywhere, and almost any time. Just make sure you get some good walking shoes (I wear Reebok DMX Walkers).

Eric

swap regular drinks for diet, quit drinking beer for a while (if you do drink beer), and just run. I've been running for the past 3 months and have dropped almost 20 pounds.

I usually run every night for 20-30 minutes and then walk 20-30 minutes. I have lost this 20 pounds in a month !! What do you guys think I can realistically expect to lose by summer time 2011?

^ Summer is 11 months from now, so at 20 lbs. a month, you should lose about 220 lbs. That would be quite impressive.

Seriously, losing three to five pounds a week is more realistic if you want to keep the weight off for good. A slower weight loss rather than the yo-yo dieting tends to work best.

Eric

I would say 80 - 100 pounds. The first month should be the largest amount of weight loss, because you're losing water weight, from changing your diet and exercising. To lose 5 pounds of actual fat per week, you have to have a calorie deficit of 2500 calories per day, which is essentially running a marathon on a daily basis.