TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Dangerous Amusement Park Attractions

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most issues that arise on amusement rides are the users fault. A lot of people losen their resrtaints. I have personally seen it at almost EVERY local park in my area. Now, when an issue arises that is mechanical you can not always point blame. You have to keep in mind we are dealing with man made machinces. They are not indestructible and will break eventually.

And sometimes just freak things happen...

^Envisions a carousel suddenly increase speed and begin shaking about...kind of like on the original RCT games, lol.

About Space Mountain, it's dangerous because a wheel fell off and the coaster came to a screeching halt? Wouldn't it have been more dangerous if the wheel fell off and the coaster continued and took flight right off the tracks? If amusement park rides are dangerous, I'd be afraid to see what is really dangerous. sarcasm> Lastly, gotta love the dated accidents to prove a point. When was the last time a Rapids boat flipped over anyway? Exactly!

As stated before, I love that the majority of these accidents were caused by guests violating safety regulations, thus putting THEMSELVES in harms way. Yet they failed to mention several notable incidents in which there actually were mechanical/operator errors (SFKK's drop tower, Disney's monorail, and an abundance of SCAD Towers... just to name a few).

This was the worst compilation of poorly researched information I have ever read. One glaring error is the WOF accident happened ten years before they said it did. Articles like this are why people like Ed Markey gets traction. This willbe Googled or Lexis/Nexis seached and it will come up in a year or two or five years as "fact." Sad.

that was the stupidest article ever writen on theme parks. A carousel?? Dangerous??

While this is probaly one of the worst pieces of writing I have seen in a long time,it is right about one thing.

Carousels have very high insurance premiums. The insurance on a carousel is higher than insurance on a rollercoaster. If you think about it, there is a lot of things that could go wrong on a carousel. People fall off of them all the time. if someone fell onto the ride platform from a horse that is going up and down.....that horse is gonna come down on there head.There are no otsr's or lap bars on carousels.

The point is, carousels are one of the most dangerous rides out there even though it sounds silly.

that was the stupidest article ever writen on theme parks. A carousel?? Dangerous??

While this is probaly one of the worst pieces of writing I have seen in a long time,it is right about one thing.

Carousels have very high insurance premiums. The insurance on a carousel is higher than insurance on a rollercoaster. If you think about it, there is a lot of things that could go wrong on a carousel. People fall off of them all the time. if someone fell onto the ride platform from a horse that is going up and down.....that horse is gonna come down on there head.There are no otsr's or lap bars on carousels.

The point is, carousels are one of the most dangerous rides out there even though it sounds silly.

Most carousels I've ridden have a strap that wraps around you. I think the only one I've ridden that doesn't use any kind of straps is the double decker at CGA. And there's nothing worse than "Stay on your horse! Do not switch horses! etc" in place of carousel music.

The double-decker carousel at NASCAR Speedpark (Sevierville, TN) really needs some waist straps. On the second level they have mini-cycles that do wheelies...one kid, not ours thankfully, fell right off the bike in mid-wheelie! He was alright...so yes, I did laugh! Seriously though, I never thought about any of this until Thrillrider brought it up.