TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What GCI coaster has the most airtime?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ridden LR, Wildcat, and Roar East....and out of those I've experienced a negligible amount of airtime on the two Hersheypark rides, and none at all on Roar. How do the newer GCI's like Gold Striker compare to the older ones in regards to airtime? Do they have significantly more, or is it just enough to make them slightly stand out? The reason I ask is because the lack of airtime is what frustrates me about GCI in general. They have AMAZING layouts, are aesthetically beautiful, and provide consistent speed; but, it seems as if they were to incorporate the type of airtime that Intamin, RMC, and TGG does into their designs they would be among the best coasters, of any type, in the world.

I was quite surprised with how much airtime Gold Striker has. My butt was off the seat so many times throughout the layout.

I especially like the fact that I can hook my feet under the brackets on the Millennium Flyer trains and not hold on at all, giving me the perfect riding position to float above the seat. Everyone should try this method- it's really great!

Wodan.

That coaster is a good 5-6 seconds faster since the year it opened and the airtime is much higher and more sustained. I wouldn't have chosen it 2 years ago but I will now!

The first drop on Wodan, especially at the back, is superb - and there's plenty more round the aggressive layout.

I should point out that I have been on Wodan, Troy, Lightning Racer, Gwazi and Wildcat in GCI stakes.

I have also noticed (just from POVs, really) that it looks faster now. As to the wheels, I don't know. I do know that they went for the polyurethane because of noise issues so I'm not sure they could just replace them with steels ones.

I think I would have to choose Wodan as that thing was running so fast a few weeks ago and the airtime over the small hills created a huge amount of airtime. I would follow this by Renegade at Valleyfair.

I was choosing from:

• Roar (SFDK)
    Terminator
    Prowler
    Evel Knievel
    Renegade
    Thunderhead
    Wood Coaster
    Thunderbird
    Wodan

• 4 weeks later...
Wood coaster in China (knight valley)

True that!

I can't believe how massive the GCI wooden coasters China is getting are. Wood Coaster seriously looks like a fantasy ride out of NoLimits, except its real.

Then you got this coming next year

They keep coming!

I've only ridden LR, Wildcat, and Roar East....and out of those I've experienced a negligible amount of airtime on the two Hersheypark rides, and none at all on Roar. How do the newer GCI's like Gold Striker compare to the older ones in regards to airtime? Do they have significantly more, or is it just enough to make them slightly stand out? The reason I ask is because the lack of airtime is what frustrates me about GCI in general. They have AMAZING layouts, are aesthetically beautiful, and provide consistent speed; but, it seems as if they were to incorporate the type of airtime that Intamin, RMC, and TGG does into their designs they would be among the best coasters, of any type, in the world.

I got an opportunity to ride Gold Striker and Apocalypse this summer and they were far more intense than the GCIs on the East Coast. The air-time was excellent for any wooden coaster. They also maintain the beautiful layouts.

• 1 year later...