TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's Middle America and IntimidaTOUR 2010 Trips!

I still don't understand why people boo over trims.

Because they are assholes and feel entitled that the ride was built specifically for THEM and anything that has been changed on the ride has been done to spite THEM personally. I was told a story of how one season pass holder demanded a refund after the trims were put on the ride.

I really applaud the park for the patience to put up with some of these people.

For me, I-305 is a top-ten ride--just a question of where in the top ten.

Agreed. I've even go as far to say it's a top 5 coaster in the USA. And I can't even imagine anyone complaining about a brand new top 5 coaster being built in their home park. It just amazes me how ungrateful and disrespectful some people are.

I'd really like to know who boo'ed the park at the event. If anyone knows, please PM me.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a bit of discussion with my friend about this issue, and we both came to the same conclusion. We coaster enthusiasts are just a small niche in the theme/amusemnt park world. The park is going to with what the general public wants more than what we want. That's just business. Although, I didn't get the chance to ride it trimless, the brakes really don't kill the ride IMO. The ride really was not built for airtime. It's about speed and intensity, just like NASCAR. As other people have said, those of us within a fews hours drive of KD should be happy to have a "kick-ass" ride in our backyard.

Really guys? booing? How mature.

While I would love to have ridden I305 without the trims, I totally understand why the park added trims for the sake of the GP. When it comes to coasters I am a spoiled brat and the more intense the better, but the parks make money of the GP, not some dutch boy who hapens to like powerfull coasters.

ECB was a GREAT way to end the IntimidaTour trip! I had a blast during all our ERT sessions and I don't remember the last time I had such a great time in a water park. I was a part of the International TPR takeover (Canadians, Brits, and Aussies) and we laughed the whole time. And thank you Robb and Elissa for setting up the TPR Quest game! It was a great way to break up the day and I love seeing my Italian Job Turbo Coaster RC Mini every morning Thanks to everyone that helped me out that day!

Having ridden I305 both pre and post - trims, I can definitely say this ride has now made my top 10 list. In April we made the 12 hour trek from Toronto just to get a ride in when the trim rumours started. We only rode it once or twice in a row and felt that was more than enough.

The relocating of trims (not addition of trims...) has made the ride MUCH better in my opinion. The twister section is much more enjoyable at this slightly lower speed and you get great air on the second hill where the trims were originally located.

I know I did about 14 rides during ERT and there's no way I could have ever done that back in April (even though it was a walk-on the entire day we were there). The new soft OTSR don't hurt either!

With all this talk about the East Coast Bash and Intimidatour, I think people are forgetting how AWESOME the actual main Mid-America trip was...

Seriously the nicest and best group of people I've ever had the pleasure to meet and go around with. Add this together with all the excellent special bonuses we got (Leslie Hall, Buca, Lambert's, Pizza Hut (despite my hatred of food not allowing me to fully enjoy these places ), tons of ERT, Q-Bots, Elissa bus Bingo, backstage tours, photo walkbacks...etc...etc...) and some real stand out coasters (I've put Powder Keg right into my top 5!) and we've got the best trip I've ever been on ever!

It is easily by far my favourite trip I've ever been on, and I'ld like to thank Elissa, Robb and everyone else for making the trip so special!

If I had enough money, I'ld sign up for every TPR trip, no question!

Thanks once again, and I hope to see you all again soon.

-Mike "Bohemian" Austin-

^Joey, that's so funny, I was just putting together the "Best of Mike Austin" clips and pics. There's quite a bit of material! (Mike you'll love it!)

I definitely hear you about post-TPR depression. Thinking about the SUV drive-by quotables in Branson still cracks me up.

Seeing this and everyone's trip reports makes me wish I had the resources to do Iintimidatour as well. Looks like it was an awesome trip and ECB looked incredible! Thanks to everyone who has been posting up their TRs, great stuff!

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

Agreed. I've even go as far to say it's a top 5 coaster in the USA. And I can't even imagine anyone complaining about a brand new top 5 coaster being built in their home park. It just amazes me how ungrateful and disrespectful some people are.

I'd really like to know who boo'ed the park at the event. If anyone knows, please PM me.

--Robb

As someone who has been among the "complainers," (though I wasn't at the event and certainly wouldn't have booed had I been there) I think a lot of it comes down to a difference in how we perceived the ride in its original state.

I seem to recall in your comments after initially riding it on media day that you rated it as a top-5/top-10 coaster at that point, and apparently with the changes it still falls into the same area for you; so for you, it's not much different. For me, I personally rated it at the very top of my list in its initial state. Not only that, but the reason it was at #1 for me was the First Drop/Turnaround/Second Hill section of the ride, which I consider to be the best 10-15 seconds of ride I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, it's that section (not so much the turnaround, which is more-or-less the same now) that is affected the most by the addition of the trims.

So while I still consider it to be an excellent coaster, and it still manages to be among my favorites, it's no longer my absolute favorite, and my favorite section of the ride has been severely impacted by the changes. The improvements later in the ride (both from the re-location of the trims and the new, better restraints) aren't enough to offset the damage done to that first section and keep it at the top of my list.

I'm still hopeful that they'll be able to come up with a solution that allows the restoral of the opening section of the ride, but I also realize that the reality of physics may not make that possible. I'd still take the current I305 over what most (probably every) other park in the world got this year, so don't take my criticism to mean that I wish they'd sell the ride for scrap, but it's still a little depressing to ride it knowing what it once was.

^ I totally disagree with you.

The opening section is fine, there is no "restoration" needed, and I would actually encourage the park not to listen to the coaster enthusiasts and their opinions on this one. In fact, that is exactly what I told the park management during our visit. I told them "As someone who has been on over 1,300 coasters all over the planet - you've got a top 5 coaster in the world here. Don't change a damn thing regardless of what the haters say."

Like you said, it's still an excellent coaster. So why the bitching and moaning? Be thankful for what you've got. I'm sure there's an entire planet of coaster enthusiasts that would like to be in your shoes having such a great coaster within a close distance.

--Robb "Just don't understand why people are STILL complaining about this..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Well, I tried to explain our differences of opinion without resorting to "bitching and moaning," but apparently I failed on that matter in your eyes.

I agree that it's "fine" now, but fine is (a bit of) a bitter pill when I thought it was perfect before. It's not enough to make me ask for a refund on my season pass or boo someone at an event, but as I said, it causes a tiny bit of disappointment each time I ride it. Ultimately it's not that big of a deal, and I've tried to avoid discussion on the topic since expressing my initial disappointment after the trims were first added since I understand it can get tiring for some.

With that, I'll go back to lurking.

I can understand the disappointment of some if they truly believe that the ride was far superior before. But would you prefer an alternative of keeping the ride as was for a year or two and then either:

A) - having to severely neuter it becasue of a lawsuit

B) - having to remove it because of structural damage

There are ways to express disappointment but booing at a event where the park has gone above and beyond for the enthusiast community is not the appropriate place. Did these same booers, cheer enthusiastically that the ride is even there, or praise the park that there are better OTSRs than when it opened.

If I put on a great event for people and they booed me during the event, I'm damn well not going to want to go out of my way to put on a great event in the future.

I used to host a huge BBQ for about 100 people (family, co-workers, teammates from sports team and friends) at my house every summer. I stopped 3 years ago, you know why? Because a couple of so-called friends started complaining about minor stuff during the BBQ as I'm doing my best to entertain and put on a good show.

There are appropriate and inappropriate times to complain and this was clearly not an appropriate place.

Well, I tried to explain our differences of opinion without resorting to "bitching and moaning," but apparently I failed on that matter in your eyes.

You are correct. It would be one thing if the ride was actually "ruined" by the trims, but it's not. In your own words - "It's not that big of a deal." Great! If it's not that big of a deal, OMG, stop MAKING it a big deal by constantly posting about it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over..... (not you specifically but just the issue in general.)

We brought 55 people from outside of the bitching and moaning VA/DC area to ride i305. And I think almost every single one of those people, including me, were all "WTF are they bitching about??? This ride is AWESOME!!!" I really think that some of the locals are just being overly fanatical and obnoxious about this issue and I really do feel for the park and their great customer service team who have to put up with all this ungrateful complaining.

I can totally understand some commentary and disappointment about the trims. Absolutely. But, c'mon....it's all been said ENOUGH ALREADY. And... on top of that...and this is the most important.... it's really not that big of a deal.

I'm just really, really sick of hearing about it. And every time it's posted again, it makes roller coaster enthusiasts look worse and worse in the eyes of the parks.

--Robb

Is it okay to be mildly amused that this discussion is still going on?

How about the trims before the first loop on Loch Ness Monster? Now, granted, that coaster is 30+ years old, so it probably needs a little TLC. But griping and $5 will get you a nice cup of coffee at Starbucks! Or Caribou, take your pick.

Is it okay to be mildly amused that this discussion is still going on?

How about the trims before the first loop on Loch Ness Monster? Now, granted, that coaster is 30+ years old, so it probably needs a little TLC. But griping and $5 will get you a nice cup of coffee at Starbucks! Or Caribou, take your pick.

Yet I still complain about those! "Yes..yes...airtime...airtime...aw." Every single time.

I personally have nothing against the trims on 305. Because i never rode it before the trims I can't make an educated decision on the topic. What I can say though is that even with the trims the design of the ride hurts my neck a little. This ride is awesome (at the time I haven't ridden anything higher than that), it still gave me the rush I like.

I have to say though that I like the Intimidator at carowinds better. The only reason for that is the air time and how smooth it is. This is just my own opinion though. I am a just upcoming coaster person. So I don't really know much about things. All I can compare with my limited amount of knowledge is smoothness. Also I was not one of the people who boo'ed at the BBQ, I appericate everything that was provided at East Coast Bash and it is an experience I will never forget.

-Coasterbeagle

I do find it a bit odd that people booing our host is considered to be in such bad taste - which I agree, one should never boo ones host - but asking men to retrieve the undergarments of women, only to then raise such undergarments as trophies on a stage in front of those same hosts, to be in *good* taste!

Just an observation.

Thomas

I do find it a bit odd that people booing our host is considered to be in such bad taste - which I agree, one should never boo ones host - but asking men to retrieve the undergarments of women, only to then raise such undergarments as trophies on a stage in front of those same hosts, to be in *good* taste!

Just an observation.

Thomas

Thanks, but you're wrong. Those hosts found TPR Quest to be hilarious and actually told me they might steal the idea for another event they are going to have. If you don't like what we do or how we do it, you don't need to read TPR or attend any of our events.

Thank you!

--Robb "You should probably read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey