TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: 12 year old girl severely injured in Wisconsin Dells

So this is just speculation, but did they forget to RAISE the net before she dropped? It doesn't sound like she missed it, just like it wasn't in the proper position.

Have you read ANYTHING that was posted in this thread???

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what leads me to believe that one of the cables holding the net must have failed.

The SCAD Towers don't work that way. Listen to what Elissa has said. She actually DOES know what she's talking about! I'm not even sure why someone would question her comment when 1. She has quite a bit of experience with this ride. 2. This same accident has happened multiple times before. 3. It even told us in the report what happened, which is common throughout all the other SCAD Tower accidents: "the net was not high enough above the ground to completely break the fall and she did hit the ground."

We have been on (I believe) every version of the SCAD tower ever created - portable, indoor, and at least 2 of the permanent ones.

We even shot footage for one of the operators and was given a pretty extensive insight on how they operate. Please try to remember these things before questioning us.

--Robb "We are not going to post information unless we are SURE our information is accurate as it possibly can be." Alvey

EDIT: I see Elissa already responded...sorry!

Edited by robbalvey

^It's hard explaining complex rides on the Internet sometimes!

I'm still just so angry about this accident. I really hope the little girl ends up okay and they fix these rides.

Hopefully some definitive information will come out at some point.

This is indeed a sad experience for the girl and her family. I have watched many a people patronize these but have never yet found the courage to try it out. In all reality there are only three rides I won't get on and this is one of them. I am honestly fearful the net won't catch me correctly or that I would land improperly and break my neck. I realize the breaking of the neck part is probably extremely unlikely, but, so is not being caught correctly by the net (i.e. speculation as to why contained in this thread). A few locations I have stood by as a spectator have had an airbag underneath as a backup, while others only have a mat for when they lower the contraption.

As for the other two rides I won't get on. One being the famous intamin chop drop towers (superman @ kentucky kingdom incident) I just can't do it. Fear of a cable snapping and cutting off my feet?, no thank you. While there is no need for debate on whose fault it was or should've been, or whatever, the fact for me is that I won't get on one, period, no matter how much I really really want to, when walking to the line, I do a 90 and walk past. The only other ride I won't get on, Insanity: The Ride @ the Stratosphere in Vegas, sorry. I'll jump of the tower on their new contraption, but can't bring my self to sit in that thing, swing out, and spin around looking at the ground 950 feet down, no thank you.

What a horrible experience for the family and even the people that must have witnessed it. I hope things turn out ok, but a head injury like that from such a drop has to be one of the worst things to get through.

It does seem like something as simple as an airbag under the nets could prevent these kinds of accidents.

My heart dropped when I read this article. I just rode that SCAD tower last month! To be honest, I felt like everything was extremely rushed and I felt like my safety was not priority. The 2 guys that set me up were rushing because it was about to rain and they did not want to get wet, they were each barking what they wanted for dinner to each other while the cage with me in it was on its way up, and I was not given any safety instructions other than "hold on to this rope connecting the harness" 2 seconds before I dropped. While the safety instructions to someone that is very familiar with rides may be obvious, this is not a typical ride. Just hearing safety instructions would have made me feel much more comfortable, even if I got the gist of it. Who knows? I'm just saying the ride employees did not seem to be "into" their jobs, aware, and did DEFINATELY not make me feel comfortable. If they had been paying attention, not being on their phones, not talking about lunch/dinner etc, the ride op at the bottom SHOULD have noticed something was wrong with the net. I hate to say it, it sounds like a mixture of mechinical and operator error. I too have a video from my fall and the net appears to automatically rise with the elevator, as others have said.

I feel so bad for this girl and her family and wish her a full recovery.

^ I do not think it would be possible for anyone to "bounce," there just was not enough tension in the net when I rode it.

I hope the girl makes a fully recovery, she put her trust and life in the operators hands and so did her parents. I would love to see for her to make a full recovery, and this riding staying open while making vast improvements for rider and staff safety.

It seems like a total failure that the ride can operate like that. I'm a fully certified Skycoaster operator, so I've seen first hand how well designed they are, as well as how protective Skycoaster, Inc is of their rides. Skycoaster is very hands-on. They require that a "site controller", certified by the company is on the site at ALL TIMES. Even if the site controller is just going to the bathroom, operation must cease. Also, Skycoaster has made several preventative changes over the years to keep their safety record clean.

But most importantly, there's just no way to operate the ride that would put the rider in danger, save for two things. One involves leaving the "rolling boarding platform" out, at the few sites that use those. The other would involve a deranged operator hooking flyers up via the release system, which isn't really possible, but if you're determined, it can be done. All that adds up to Skycoaster never having a death, and only one major injury (drunken irresponsible employees, who hooked themselves up in reverse and left their boarding platform out in the flight line).

Whoever designs the SCAD towers must figure out a way that a person cannot be released without the net in place. They should probably also implement a "site controller" system. One major injury is too many.

Whoever designs the SCAD towers must figure out a way that a person cannot be released without the net in place. They should probably also implement a "site controller" system. One major injury is too many.

Agreed. And now this is the 3rd or 4th of the EXACT same accident. I rarely would ever suggest not riding something, as the odds are very much in the riders favor, and even with a SCAD tower they still are, but I'm beginning to think I may not recommend these to people anymore.

--Robb

Terrible, I saw one of these on TV and thinking how cool it would be, because it looked "safe". I really feel for the parents, my daughters turning 6 and is just about tall enough for her next level or rides and this kinda thing always makes me think twice about what i put my kids on. Hopefully this will draw enough attention to get the ride manufacturer to make the changes need to make this ride fail safe and idiot proof.

Wow, what terrible news. I hope the girl recovers and her family is okay. I guess unless they get the ride operating in the next week or two, that we can cross this off our list of things to do while in the Dells for Mid America? I was actually looking forward to this ride experience.

Saw a quick piece about this on the National News this morning. The footage they showed showed the net intact with all four points still attached, whicih again goes back to all of our original speculation that someone did something really dumb and did not raise the net up far enough.

Saw a quick piece about this on the National News this morning. The footage they showed showed the net intact with all four points still attached, whicih again goes back to all of our original speculation that someone did something really dumb and did not raise the net up far enough.

Are you SURE Elissa? Perhaps the ride spontaneously combusted...or got attacked by a giant cookie?