TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Glasses and Coasters

DJ.Abe

I've been using a strap for my glasses for a few years now. Of the hundreds of coasters I've been on, including TTD and Kingda Ka, the only one I was asked to remove my glasses on was the Boomerang coaster at Wild Adventures. As for the rest, never a problem.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a glasses strap from Cedar Point, and I know King's Island had good quality ones as well. My glasses are already tight on my face, and with the strap pulled tight the glasses get supported from the top by my forehead, so no drop can remove them. I have bad nearsightedness, and couldn't bear to not see on rides, but with my strap I've done El Toro, Voyage (extreme uplift forces on both), Superman and Firehawk (both Flying position) and had no problem.

Just a small sampling of the coasters I've worn my glasses on:

Manta

Flyers are the only rides I ever take them off for (unless required). Otherwise, I feel they are safer on my face than in my pocket.

Exactly! When I was still a kid, I lost my glasses on Thunder Run! They were in my pocket! Ive NEVER taken my glasses off since! I even sleep with them on!

I always have sunglasses on and I have never used a strap with them. I have ridden many inverts, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Kingda Ka, I305, Bizarro, etc... with never an issue. The only time I felt they could fall off was on a couple flyers, but they didn't. With a strap you would be fine for sure, but even without it I would not worry about it.

I always have sunglasses on and I have never used a strap with them. I have ridden many inverts, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Kingda Ka, I305, Bizarro, etc... with never an issue. The only time I felt they could fall off was on a couple flyers, but they didn't. With a strap you would be fine for sure, but even without it I would not worry about it.

I lost my shades on El Toro's ejector hill . The guy behind me lost his hat at the same exact time. I guess it all depends on the glasses heh.

Anything with major airtime I would consider taking them off. Any looping coaster shouldn't be a problem, as the glasses will be pressing into your face and down onto your nose due to +Gs.

I keep a hard shell case with me that I put the specs in if I'm concerned about inversions, roughness, if it appears that ops won't allow them to stay on, etc. and I can keep this in a zippered pocket on me while on a ride, so I don't risk losing, forgetting them, etc. in a ride storage bin area. However, it does detract from a ride somewhat not being able to see everything, especially on taller rides like large hilled coasters and drop towers. I understand the theme park's point of view on this and don't want to take a risk losing them or having them damaged, either. I don't want my trip home on the highway without my glasses to be the scariest ride of the day. I say keep the thrills in the park!

I've ridden all sorts of crazy coasters around the U.S. and I've never had my glasses fall off. Even with coasters that invert or flyers, glasses have always stayed on.

However, I have had a pair of glasses break due to the brutality of some coasters. I had a pair with a thin frame and a screw hinge. After months of riding the roller coasters of Busch Gardens, the glasses finally called it quits and the hinge on one side broke. Now I have glasses with a thick frame and a spring hinge. I call them my "Clark Kent glasses" because it looks like what the famous reporter would wear. I've ridden all sorts of roller coasters with the Clark Kent glasses -- Montu, Kumba, Manta, Raging Bull, Dark Knight, Batman: The Ride, Bizarro (SFNE), Mad Mouse, the Incredible Hulk Coaster, the Wacky Worm -- and they've never fallen off or broken. I do make sure the glasses are secure on my face. A lot of times, I will take the glasses off and put them back on to make sure they are secure on my ears and face. Sometimes I forget to take the glasses off and they don't fall off.

Ever ride a rapids ride with glasses on? Well, let me say I wish I had windshield wipers on my glasses!

For years I've carried a hard-shell case and tucked my glasses safely away in a secured cargo shorts / pants pocket. That changed two weeks back.

I discovered a new kind of glasses strap, one that will keep the glasses around my neck if they should fall off - if they did, everything would be a blur, not just the coasters.

The product name is NexStraps. Unlike standard straps that only circle the head and don't provide enough security for my peace of mind, these have a second loop a lot like a necklace. I know what you're thinking. Choking hazard! There's a break-away and the cord is somewhat elastic.

That second loop isn't likely to come into play because it exerts a downward force on the glasses.

It saw me through TTD, Maverick, I305, and 20 laps on El Toro on a recent trip. I'm a believer.

Now I know what I was missing. Being able to see adds tremendously to the experience. I'm going to buy these straps for my entire near-sighted family.

I usually keep my glasses on. I'm blind as a bat without them but I'm not afraid they'll fly away. I've done Steel Dragon 2000 multiple times with my glasses on and they were just fine. The wind didn't do anything. Same for White Cyclone, which is rough, but the glasses stayed on.

• 2 weeks later...

I wear my glasses on all wooden coasters. I did think I was going to loose them on Phoenix because of how much air time you get but I was lucky, my boyfriends daughter on the other hand lost hers on the last bunny hill of the ride. With steel coasters it all depends. On something like SooperDooperLooper or Tennessee Tornado I will wear them, but something like Great Bear or Alpehgiest I will take them off. For me it all depends how much is going on with the ride and how much my head is going to bang against the restraints which could cause them to fall off. Also my glasses are tight on my face so that helps a lot.

I discovered a new kind of glasses strap, one that will keep the glasses around my neck if they should fall off - if they did, everything would be a blur, not just the coasters.

The product name is NexStraps. Unlike standard straps that only circle the head and don't provide enough security for my peace of mind, these have a second loop a lot like a necklace. I know what you're thinking. Choking hazard! There's a break-away and the cord is somewhat elastic.

That second loop isn't likely to come into play because it exerts a downward force on the glasses.

It saw me through TTD, Maverick, I305, and 20 laps on El Toro on a recent trip. I'm a believer.

Now I know what I was missing. Being able to see adds tremendously to the experience. I'm going to buy these straps for my entire near-sighted family.

Just looked up this product and it seems really awesome. Thank you so much for providing this information!

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime my son and I have sunglasses at a park, I just hold them in my hands (I don't "freak out" on rides, so there's a zero chance of me dropping them). I've never had any op's tell me I couldn't hold them. If you have RX glasses, I'd bring a hard case, keep it in your backpack/bag, and just slip them in before the ride.

would put them smack onto my face

jray21, this is 100% off-topic, but could you explain what "to put sth smack" means? In general?

Is it like "to put abruptly, all of a sudden"?

P.S. I'm translating an article and I'm not sure I understand the expression.

In this case, it means like "firmly" or "strongly".