TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NoLimits 2 - Wishlist

Newton2 is more about exact numbers if that's what's easier for you, but the idea adjusted from yours that involved tweaking vertex handles by increments, that could be helpful as well. But those are just my thoughts.

As for pre-built "Flat to Lift Hill" pieces that you tweak, well, we'd be back to the non-realistic flow of RCT. I mean, you'd at least be able to do more than go in the 8 general directions, but transitions between two elements are never the same. If one "Flat to Bank" was perfect in one turn, if you "pasted" it in another situation with a higher speed and slightly different angle, it'd totally be messed up, even after tweaking the length and such of it. If it got REALLY far into making things realistic, you'd ACTUALLY arrive right at Newton2, which builds in segments that you adjust by degree, force, time, snappiness, etc. Your idea is like a less complicated version of Newton2, but I'm not so sure it'd work well.

I can perfectly picture what you're saying, especially because it is similar-(ish, mind you) to an Elementary+Newton2 baby, but overall in my opinion it just wouldn't work out in the end. It's a good idea though that could work if done really well but it might over-complicate things right back to the Newton2 level of building because there would have to be SO much to tweak and calculate (calculating that the program would do, not you) to make it an acceptable fit in your ride.

It doesn't have to be "pre-built" I'd like it to be a blueprint of sorts "Yes you can do this, and you can also do this, and turn this, and then bank this, etc"

Like I've actually been designing the base of rides in RCT1, then importing the tracks, and working out the kinks, and I've gotten some designs I'm relatively pleased with. Why can't I do that on a relatively realistic level?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^The only reason you cannot do it is because RCT1/2/3 just aren't very good simulations of roller coasters and are EXTREMELY LIMITED. Nolimits, has VERY FEW LIMITS, so the level of realism is far superior to other games. It is a good idea, but you're trying to combine the creme de la creme with used toilet paper. It doesn't really work because of the many variables that go into designing anything. Newton2 gives you perfect transitions if you build the desired element correctly. I think you want what Newton2 does, but just put in the elements and get perfection, without adjusting the important factors. It's a grand idea, but I don't think it will work out exactly the way you want it. Sooo...Newton2 was made to get it exactly the way you want it by making siple elements and tweaking to the builder's desire.

Newton2 is the most RCT-like and realistic way of building (the latter referring to modern steel coasters). Really, for there to be correct forces and zero lateral G's without jerks and big pumps, NO smoothed RCT coaster should work. While the ride may (or may not) ride fine, I'm betting that the G's are just all over the place, even if they are all green.

Really, you can't get the two to mesh. Newton2 KINDA bridges the gap, but its a big gap and one that just can't be brought full circle.

I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure there's no hydraulic launch track in Nolimits? If not, sorry i'm so forgetful, as I haven't bought Nolimits for my newest computer because i'm waiting for NL2. If not, I'd really like to see the different launch styles other than tire.

I still don't think you guys understand what I mean. I would like a more noob-friendly approach to building coasters. I have been designing the track in RCT1, and then importing it through NoLimits, and breaking up the segments so I can get more flexibility out of them. It's not as much as the overall process needs to be entirely like RCT.

RCT3 is just too....unrealistic to really truly blend into a seamless ride. Especially ones that are hand fixed. Would you mind uploading one of the better ones you've created? That would help us better see what you can do.

Yea, I just made a quick one real fast in RCT1. My laptop got a virus last week, had to reformat, so I lost all of my Nolimits tracks. But what I did here was, I built the ride in RCT1, imported it into Nolimits, then smooth it out by breaking the turns into segments and editing it by hand. The only problem is the turn before the break run which goes from 30 to 0, it isn't terrible but it isn't all that realistic. But it took me maybe all of 5 minutes to do this.

Test Track.nltrack

You know how in NL you have the standard side view then front/back view? There's also top view and 3D view, but that's a different story. I'd really like it if we could have a custom view, that way it's easier to make a non-curving hill or something like that at an angle (when looking at top view). Does this make sense?

I'd also like to see ground level when building a coaster. I hate having to put a point down, then go in 3D to see if it's on the ground or below it.

^Yes, adjustable viewing angles by the degree would be very nice. However, your idea for viewing the ground wouldn't work well. Because Terraformed land is 3D, it'd be impossible to show a single or even multiple 2D lines on one of the viewing planes.

^^Actually, that track would have been better left in RCT3. The jerks throw insane lateral G's and it's pretty unrealistic, even for a kiddie ride. The bankings/unbankings would kill and it's overall very jerky.

^The color settings are flawed. Never go by them...unless of course you got the patch. Go by the numbers....your coaster pulled a few too many lats for a kiddie/family. For your coaster being so small, it would be just as easy to heartline it by hand. Another useful tip, when hand building, divide the coaster's "track" segments in to 2-4 foot long segments. You can actually feel the control points. Newton2, AHG, etc. all divide up the segments anyway to get the best control over the heartline. When I use Newton2, I divide the coaster up into elements and any section where the ride uses it's momentum and gravity, I always use 1 meter segments and use 2 meter segments for lifts, MCBRs, station, brakes, or really anything that control of the heartline is totally unnecessary because it doesn't really change in a straight segment or an unbanked turn between straight segments. But, if the segment is straight, you must delete the control points between the end of the segment, but not curves.

^ I find it a lot easier to take RCT1 screenshots with height markers. That way, I have the general layout of the coaster and I can make changes where changes need to be made. Since RCT2 established that each height marker equaled 5 feet, I go by that with snaps set to 5 feet, and 9 times out of 10 it works.

That's actually an advantage of the seperate editor - I can cycle between windows with little trouble because of the wireframe graphics.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that no-limits are only adding rides that are presently being built. For example: they wouldn't make an arrow suspended because they don't build those anymore. Or anything from arrow really. If they did, i would like to see a Giovanola Hyper. or, a Arrow suspended.

• 3 weeks later...