TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Over The Shoulder Restraints. (OTSRs)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There appeared to be a couple of things wrong with that design. First, unless I'm not looking in the right place, it doesn't appear that riders have much support on the sides---slipping out doesn't look that difficult. (And I think that's what happened in the RailBlazer incident at SFStL.)

Also, the OTSR is too high and not vertically adjustable. That's fine for someone tall, but for shorter riders...not so good.

Eric

Agreed.

The rider could easily slid out by "submarining) under the restraint,or to the side,that & it looks as if there were straps being used in place of a lower lap bar to secure the passenger's ankle/shin region.Toga at least had t he insight to engineer a butterfly restraint to secure passengers around the upper torso along with the lap bar while Arrow didn't.

Did Arrow produce the same standup trains for SFSTL's ride seeing as it's an Arrow minetrain?

I thought I read somewhere that the overhead restraints on Arrow / Vekoma coasters were to restrain riders from putting their hands overhead. Clearances between scaffolding structures and track seem to be rather close to the train, and in effect the restraint was designed to restrict the riders arm movement. I could be completely wrong, but I swear I read an article somewhere... I'm on a hunt for it...

I think the biggest problem designers were trying to address when making otsr's was the lateral g's. The point was that your head was protected by the restraints from being thrashed back and forth. Togo most likely made it so that they went all the way down to your shoulders because their coasters actually have suspended upside down time, i.e. Manhattan Express. I've noticed on coasters with otsr's that the restraints actually fit in pretty well to the height restriction. That's the main reason shorter people can't ride B&M's, because they could easily get their head through the side of the restraint. It really doesn't have anything to do with going upside down (in my observations and opinions).

• 9 months later...
I don't really think they're necessary on standard sit down loopers, but in the modern world of lawyers and insurance premiums, it's a way to keep them satisfied. Although on Intimidator 305, I think they're abit overkill as the ride doesn't even have any inversions.

Although one thing I should mention, Dive Machine coasters. I don't think there is any alternative for OTSRs on those rides that I can think of. Because of the way the train is held 90 degrees, gravity would cause you to fold in half basically (meaning your head will be on your knees). Try this, stand against a wall and bend over 90 degrees. Do you fall over?

Does this look like 90 degrees to you:

It looks more like 45-50 degrees to me and after all, sky rocket actually does have a holding brake.

Normally I'd say a sitdown looper don't need shoulder-restriants. Even the Maurer-Söhne Skywheels - which let you hang completly upside-down only have hydraulic lapbars.

On other rides IMO it also depends on the seats. For lapbars you need sportscar like seats like those made by Recaro so your whole body is supported when the train is doing kind of fancy moves like cobra-rolls, zero-g-rolls, etc.

Schwarzkopf originally had only lapbars - but later introduced shoulder-harnesses for reasons I don't know. But like on Testrack they've now new trains with only lapbars again. IMO coasters who have "only" loops need no shoulder restraints.

In the US the situation isn't really clear to me after I've been there. For example you've Montezooma's Revenge with lapbars and seatbelts (good) and Revolution with lapbars and shoulder restraints (horrible) - so it can't be as some said that loopers in California now NEED shoulder-restraints. Vekoma/Arrow loopers only have the single shoulder-restraints - so it can't be as some said that loopers in California now NEED a secondary restraint system.

In germany we've something called "right to life" - meaning a ride only needs to fulfill the security regulations that were applicable when the ride was built. So today a 30+ years old Schwarzkopf looper would do fine with lapbars even if a new law would prohibit them. Two years ago I even rode some very old flatrides on a small town carnival that had no restraints at all - it was built in the 60s!

The only real reason for shoulder restraints is IMO on case of a ride breakdown. I know that once a Schwarzkopf looper was stuck upside down inside a loop after an axle broke due to lacking maintenance - and poeple were hanging upside down in the lapbars till the fire-department arrived to get them out. No major injuries but poeple had major bruises on their upper thighs.

It looks more like 45-50 degrees to me and after all, sky rocket actually does have a holding brake.

Sky Rocket has a two-position restraint system, meaning that riders are restrained in two places - in this case the lap and below the knees. This ensures that even when going slowly over an incline, riders are kept safely in place.

Griffon doesn't have that kind of luxury, because it's floorless. Because riders are unrestrained below their theighs, there must be a way to keep riders' bodies from hanging over forward when they are held going over the drop. If they weren't held there and instead just dropped, the horizontal acceleration would keep riders against the backs of their seats when going over. If Griffon had an overhead lap bar like the new Gerstlauers, if the lap bar became unlocked while the train was being held over the drop, riders would be able to slip out of their seats over (or more likely under) the bar.

Because the only place that a Maurer Sky Wheel can be left hanging is the top of the lift hill, the only acceleration that needs to be taken into consideration for safety in a breakdown is gravity - for the same reasons that roller coasters with only a loop can be considered "safe" using only a lap bar system.

Don't mean to sound like a self-proclaimed expert, but it's just the physics student in me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

^Yes that is what I was going at!

And yes, you DO flop forward on sky rocket, it doesn't matter if you are restrained by the legs or not, you still get pushed forward, and sky rocket's holding brake is more abrupt than a B&M diver's because you are going at such a speed into the brake.

There is also an ability to place a lap bar on a floorless coaster, I mean look at blue fire at Europa Park, it has an overhead lap bar design. As I've stated earlier in this thread, intamin could probably get away with that as well.

The real reason for lap bars on inverting coasters is for freedom of movement and lack of headbanging.

EDIT: Where would the thrill of a drop be if you were already hanging at 90 degrees(you would only get a force equivalent to 0gs.)

MOD EDIT: I removed your embedded YouTube video, as TPR does not support the group that made it. cfc

Edited by cfc

Personally I haven't really had any issues with OTSRs, granted I'm 6' 2" with a big ol' barrel chest so I fit quite snug in most restraints. My main issue is the park policies on the belts to the restraints, I can click the restraint closed but it's the belt that usually will prevents a ride. Out of all the coaster styles and OTSRs I've experienced Vekoma's Face-Off invertigo style is the only one I can remember some slight headbanging on.

I don't have a problem with OTSRs either. I actually enjoy. Sure, a lap bar is less restrictive, but pulling down an OTSR over my head makes me feel like "Yes! I'm on a coaster again!" It's a special feeling you get when you pull down one, an experience unique to amusement parks.

They also don't bother me at all, I don't remember bad head banging on any coaster so far.

My worst headbanging so far was on sidewinder at hershey park on its last year of operation with the old trains. Absolutely terrible boomerang.

It seems the idea is "if it is done right, OTSRs are okay, but do it wrong, and the last thing you'll want are OTSRs." That is in cooperation with the manufacturer, I've never had a problem with B&Ms but I almost always had a problem with the vekomas, except for zoomerang a lake compounce, almost glass smooth with arrow trains, I have yet to ride an SLC but I'll try to start off with fly the great nor'easter.

• 4 years later...

In my opinion, any thrill ride with high g forces should have an OTSR.

Drop towers have OTSRs due to the negative g forces they provide.

I read that OTSRs are used on any ride that does not allow installation of a lap bar, like an inverted coaster for example.

I also think that an OTSR should be used on any ride that goes upside-down for safety reasons.

The headbanging issue, on the other hand, I have experienced only once, and that was on Flight Of Fear at Kings Dominion before the restraints were changed from OSTRs to lapbars.

I never experienced headbanging on a B&M or Arrow coaster.

To be honest, I don't know why people are afraid of OSTRs.

I like OSTRs, and if a looping ride doesn't have an OSTR, I won't get on it.

I like OSTRs, and if a looping ride doesn't have an OSTR, I won't get on it.

Can I ask why you feel that way? It's been proven time and time again that OTSRs are not really needed on looping coasters as long as a lap bar is adequate enough to keep you in place while inversions occur.

It's a mental thing with some people. They need OTSRs even if they do nothing.

Personally, I'm happy with the current trend of restraints that are much less head bangy, so less OTSRs. Banshee barely feels like it has them at all with the new style.

What ultimately holds you in on a looping coaster is where the pressure is, and it's usually on your lap. Even with OTSRs. It's time we weened people off of them. A coaster isn't any more or less safe because of the type of restraint it has.

Once you get passed that mental block, you'll appreciate the physical comfort that comes with less restrictive restraints. Nobody is "afraid" of OTSRs, they're afraid of the discomfort that often comes their way after riding.

What ultimately holds you in on a looping coaster is where the pressure is, and it's usually on your lap. Even with OTSRs. It's time we weened people off of them. A coaster isn't any more or less safe because of the type of restraint it has.

True. I remember when I was riding hydra and going through the jojo roll that I noticed almost all the pressure was on my legs. And look at the OTSR that intamin uses/used on their accelerator coasters: the "main" part is that bar that holds your legs. The OTS straps can even break so they're not too important.

It's interesting to see what the opinion was 5 years ago vs. now. I've ridden both FoF's, Skyrocket, Scoripon at BGT & Goliath at SF Great America. I love the feeling of having your upper body free when I ride a coaster. I don't think traditional OTSR's are bad, but I think that the new coasted with lap bars with an ankle restraints give a lot more of a "free" feeling. The best example is Goliath where both inversions have a lot of hangtime and I found the RMC seats and restraints to be some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. Also Premiere's updated restraints on skyrocket I also found to be really comfortable.

• 7 months later...

I haven't had any problems with OTSR restraints.

I have not experienced headbanging on a roller coaster with an OTSR.

Vekoma has replaced their standard OTSR with the vest restraint.

I actually like OTSR restraints because I think they are safer on inverting rides.

I'm sure most of the manufacturers are aware of the headbanging issue.

I don't think a coaster can do inversions other than loops with a Schwarz style lapbar.

But, I am a huge fan of Flight of Fear and it's awesome lapbars. Would it work on the Arrow and Vekoma loopers? I dunno, not without an entire train redesign, which may change the rides beyond recognition - Like Vekoma's trains on the swinging Arrow, Vampire.

Many Vekoma and even more Arrow loopers aren't that rough and do not require changes. Lapbars provide a freedom of movement which may not be suitable on many rides. I think changes like the new trains on Carrowind's Boomerang are awesome and lapbars are not needed... They need to design a similar train/restraint system for SLCs.

Having lapbars creates safety issues. OSTRs never fail... Is there even one incident of it happening? Seatbelts on lapbar coasters are a pain and they slow down dispatching horribly. You've also got to consider what the public perception of a lapbar is. How many people won't ride a classic schwarz because of what they perceive as insufficient restraints?

Always wondered how the Schwarz lapbars could even do loops... Seems like if the train free to stall in the loop, it wouldn't end all that well.