TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most disturbing movie you've ever seen?

I have seen the trailer for Begotten on Youtube, and it does indeed look very disturbing. According to Wikipedia, it was inspired by a near death experience that the director, E. Elias Merhige, had after a car crash that nearly took his life when he was 19.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently came across a scene from a 1997 film called "Cutting Moments" on Youtube...a lady tries to get her husband's attention, is ignored, and proceeds to suddenly rub endlessly away at her lips with steel wool...then cut them off with a pair of scissors!

It was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in recent memory. I can't find the movie on Netflix, but I don't think I want to see the rest anyway.

Oh yes, and I checked out Men Behind The Sun on Youtube as well...just revolting.

First off, my 9 year old brother and I just watched Rubber Johnny, and neither of us found it to be too awfully scary. I agree with the previous poster a couple pages back. It is simply a music video. And, AngryGumball, the whole thing was done with prosthetic pieces and fast editing. The "teenager" is not real.

Back on topic now. I would have to say that "El Orfanato", A.K.A. "The Orphanage" by Guillermo del Toro and Juan Antonio Bayona is very disturbing. It is one of my favorite thriller films. There isn't blood, guts, or anything like that. However, when the film was finished, I felt very strange. I was definitely disturbed, as well as depressed. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys psychological thriller type films.

Next, I would like to suggest the film "Martyrs". I have not seen it, but I have read a very lengthy and detailed synopsis describing it. It sounds as though it would be extremely frightening, bloody, torturous, and most of all, sad. I am not sure if I desire to see it or not, as I think it would be even more depressing than El Orfanato. While I absolutely loved El Orfanato, I don't think I want to see anything too much more disheartening than it was.

---Antonio

I have seen most of clockwork orange, but I found Requium a little more disturbing because it felt more realistic and most of the stuff was self inflicted as opposed to murders. I had major trouble with the orgy scene where Jennifer Conoly needs to have sex with the other women to get her heroine. Also, the entire downward spiral of ever character was depressing and disturbing, which I did not feel as much in clockwork. Also a lot of precious is VERY hard to watch, particularly the scenes involving monique and prescious, particularly when monique SPOILER ALERT

Tries to kill precious by dropping a tv on her to kill Preciousand Precious's infant son, who was born out of incest.
VERY powerful films, both very depressing, both very good.

^ For me it was disturbing, but I have past experience with that sort of thing (if you know what I mean.) That being said, it's not the most disturbing film I've seen. Made me kind of uncomfortable and sketchy feeling. Fantastic movie, however.

Probably not the kind of answer you are looking for, but for me, it has always been Sophie's Choice. I only saw it once, when I was in high school, but the sound of her scream still haunts me, especially now that I have children.

^ Never seen it, but I know the plot and having two kids myself, it bothers me so much that I won't watch it. I could never make the choice (but again the point is that it's senseless not to). I get nauseous just thinking about it. Good pick.

The most disturbing film I've seen is "I Spit On Your Grave" also known as "Day of the Woman." The initial scene is highly disturbing and the revenge is too. Especially for men. I was cringing and I'm a girl. Here's a link to the imdb page.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0077713/

Kimby - the original was just horrific. As was Last House on the Left (the original.)

Most movies don't disturb me, but Monster comes to mind. It was like a train wreck that you couldn't stop watching. It was a great movie, but I really wanted it to end, and don't think I'll rush back out and see it again. I think because it is based on a true story is what really gets me. It's sad.

I know this is lame but Paranormal Activity really messed me up! I saw it at the cinema with my sister and spent the last 5 minutes with my scarf wrapped around my head. I had to sleep with the tv on for about 3 weeks after!

Also I had a nightmare about Charles Bronson, months after watching Bronson, although I wasn't bothered by it at the time, clearly something was triggered by that film. It's not even scary, the guys just a complete nutter.

^ They're remaking "I Spit On Your Grave" and it's sure to be awful.

That is terrifying. That will definitely be terrible.

Kimby - the original was just horrific. As was Last House on the Left (the original.)

Oh my god, I ended up looking away at parts. I've heard that about Last House on the Left too. I haven't seen it though.

I know this is lame but Paranormal Activity really messed me up! I saw it at the cinema with my sister and spent the last 5 minutes with my scarf wrapped around my head. I had to sleep with the tv on for about 3 weeks after!

Also I had a nightmare about Charles Bronson, months after watching Bronson, although I wasn't bothered by it at the time, clearly something was triggered by that film. It's not even scary, the guys just a complete nutter.

Eh. The only part that really freaked me out was the devil thing leaving footprints in the baby powder. But it definitely was not as bad as it was hyped up to be. Even my girlfriend said so, and she almost peed herself when she watched The Grudge.

^I've not seen the original LHotL, but the remake was pretty creepy. I heard the rape scene in the original is supposedly supposed to be 10x worse than in the remake. I didn't think it could get any worse than the remake.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? (or find it on youtube so I can form my own opinion... because I couldn't find it!)

For me the most disturbing has to be Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure. It's about two rag dolls who are brother and sister, but yet have a VERY close relationship with each other, and they meet a camel on LSD who has a bad case of blue balls and makes tons of sexual innuendos. Btw, listen to the lyric to the song that the brother and sister sing....

That scene here:

The topic should begin and end with Salo.

What happens?

If it's gory I probably wont be bothered, but anything psychological really gets to me (Threads, Blair Witch, Shining)

Salo is not so much gory as much as showing how low humanity can go. The basic plot of the movie is Nazi guards and what they force their young prisoners to do. However, it's not filmed or shot in the "gross-out" style but with a serious tone.

Eh. The only part that really freaked me out was the devil thing leaving footprints in the baby powder. But it definitely was not as bad as it was hyped up to be. Even my girlfriend said so, and she almost peed herself when she watched The Grudge.

^I've not seen the original LHotL, but the remake was pretty creepy. I heard the rape scene in the original is supposedly supposed to be 10x worse than in the remake. I didn't think it could get any worse than the remake.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? (or find it on youtube so I can form my own opinion... because I couldn't find it!)

It is worse. The movie was notorious because of that scene, especially considering the time period when it was released. Sex and Violence weren't as prevalent as they are in media today.