TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best and Worst Arrow Mine Trains

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two favorite are Road Runner Express and Thunderation.

My least favorite would have to be Big Bad John at Magic Springs. I just thought it was rougher and not as fun as others i've gone on in the past.

This is EXACTLY my list. But I would like to add River King Mine Train with Big Bad John for the layout.

If despite for the historical value and the theming, Runaway Mine Train could be the worst.

My favorite is Runaway Mine Train at Great Adventure. I like how it has individual lap bars which are better for taller riders than the original Arrow Mine Train lap bars and how it only has 1 lift hill. I don't like mine trains with multiple lifts since it seems like every time the ride starts to pick up speed, there is a brake run and another lift hill. The layout is really good too with the double helix at the beginning, the banked drop after the MCBR, the small ejector air time hill and the turn right over the water.

Best:

Thunderation at Silver Dollar City is amazing. It has a great helix, a great last drop, and some positive-G's as well. The queue is very well themed as well. Magic Kingdom's Big Thunder is a close second.

Worst:

River King Mine Train at Six Flags St. Louis. It is boring, slow, shaky, and it has THREE lift hills. Just a really bad ride.

Magic Kingdom's Big Thunder is a close second.

"Best Arrow mine train."

I love the Big Thunders above every other mine train, as well. To be honest, I can't even remember how many Arrow mine trains I've been on. I've ridden every one I've ever come across, but they're never memorable rides. I'm gonna vote for SFGAdv's simply because I grew up riding that one and it's the only one that sticks out to me, haha.

Thunderation at SDC is my favourite followed by Road Runner Express at SFFT then perhaps Adventure Express. I would also have to give a vote to the very first model from Arrow, Runaway Mine Train at SFOT. I thought that was excellent!

The worst I've been on is Great Escape's Canyon Blaster, which was pretty dire.

Rough top three...

1. Thunderation: Probably the most awesome setting and layout, and it has a bit of force to it if you're lucky. Seems to have turns, lifts and drops in just the right places to keep it interesting.

2. SFOT: One of the better-themed ones, and the drop is a memorable surprise moment (though it can be rough).

3. SFFT: Seems to be one of the more forceful ones, though that isn't saying much.

Ones I "remember as forgettable": SFGADv, Hersheypark, Magic Springs, SFOG, Cedar Point, The Great Escape, KI.

All with little to no forces, though some have a decent wooded setting.

Gold Rusher wins points only for being one of the most authentic terrain coasters of the bunch, but it has sometimes-painful laterals and no other forces to speak of.

The Carowinds one I forgot existed.

River King Mine Train is terribly dull until the surprise drop. Mini Mine Train is the worst of all by default.

My favorite is Runaway Mine Train at Great Adventure. I like how it has individual lap bars which are better for taller riders than the original Arrow Mine Train lap bars and how it only has 1 lift hill. I don't like mine trains with multiple lifts since it seems like every time the ride starts to pick up speed, there is a brake run and another lift hill. The layout is really good too with the double helix at the beginning, the banked drop after the MCBR, the small ejector air time hill and the turn right over the water.

Oh come on, just because the ride is located next to El Toro does not make that an "ejector" air time hill. That's abother word we need to ban from the lexicon, clearly. Nobody knows when to use it.

Still, that is a fun hill, and it's a fun ride. For me I like that and CCMR about the same, I'm big fans of both. Trail Blazer is awful.

I always enjoy a fun mine train coaster. Perhaps it's because one of my first coasters I remember riding was Excalibur at Six Flags Astroworld. Anyways, my favorite now is Thunderation. A close second or maybe even tie is Road Runner Express at SFFT. The worst one I think is Big Bad John at Magic Springs.

• 1 year later...

I've ridden three Arrow mine trains: Thunderation, Adventure Express, and Cedar Creek Mine Ride. I rode Thunderation when I was 7, so I don't recall too much about it, although I do remember it being a fun ride. Adventure Express has some good moments and decent laterals that made for a fun ride despite the anticlimactic ending. Cedar Creek Mine Ride is my least favorite of the three, jerky transitions and not much excitement.