TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elissa's Thoughts on the UK and Europe Trips!

Efteling

So the park has grown on me over the years, I still just don't feel it's a full day park.

De efteling has an special place in my hart being my "home-park" which I grew up with. But I can understand that if you're not that much into (european / Grimm) fairytails or darkrides this is not your kind of park. We (Karl, James, Jes and I) did only re-ride the flying dutchman and all the other attractions once we still had to rush through the fairytail forrest to cover most that de Efteling has to offer. We still skipped the train ride / the maze and all small mechanical shows in the forrest. To my opinion Efteling is more a full day park than Phantasialnd. I'm glad we spend this trip a full day at this park because on the "Europe 08" trip I had the feeling we skipped half the park.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some more playing in random playgrounds, she LOVED the stupid Dream Flight ride that everyone loves for some reason and then cost us $100 in the gift shop at the exit! DAMN YOU FARIES!!!

Can´t stop laughing I excactly remember times with Luca like that

Thanks for this really great report, it was very interesting to experience what happened "behind the scenes" and what you think about the days.

Now I wish you a great new Trip with a huge amount of fun.

The guy at the end of the Psychedelic walk through that popped out of the wall made me about piss my pants! I almost punched him in the face, haha!

Well I just got embarrassed. My drunk ass was high kicking and discoing around that room with Morgan and turned around...

OOPS!!! I think he was too outdone to scare anyone.

We'll both be alright.

But going back a few pages, that German Fair was the best night (and drunkest I've been in years). Elissa climbing the pole, the excessive amount of drinking, then that German guy that was giving those cookies to the girls... then putting one on Erik! Uh oh! I punched it out of the area when he wanted to get me one. (I end up with it when someone handed to me before I got on the bus) Oh and I have to say that the cookie was nasty... well at least that's what my coworker said; he took a bite before I did. He said he's never taking any food I offer to him again.

And as far as the bus stop, all I could do is stagger to the bathroom, pee and stagger back and pass out.

Best time I tells ya.

Terry

And as far as the bus stop, all I could do is stagger to the bathroom, pee and stagger back and pass out.

After about 3 L of beer, I didn't even dare get off the bus at the bathroom stop. I was afraid I'd pass out somewhere and get left behind.

After about 3 L of beer, I didn't even dare get off the bus at the bathroom stop. I was afraid I'd pass out somewhere and get left behind.

Well I'm a more trained partier. If I couldn't make it too far, I would have went around the side of the bus. But being drunk made the trip to the hotel seem much quicker. I blinked and we were there!

A few more things:

1. The Olympia Looping was the first coaster I've repeatedly grey-ed out on in the loops.

2. Can't say enough about the beer.

3. The food was good too! I ate the house down in lieu of riding rides.

4. Was there other stuff at the fair? If it wasn't for morgan dragging me out of the tent and heading into the fair I'd really be in dire straights.

Thanks, Elissa - It's been interesting to read this thread! The German fair day was seriously one of my favorite parts of the trip. I also thought the food throughout the trip was outstanding, and I really appreciate the fact that there were many vegetarian options.

I hope all goes well with the trips this month! Have fun, and thanks again!!

I just want to note how much I've enjoyed this thread!

Every few pages or so I've thought of some lengthy response to something I've read, but it's all evaporated now. I guess I'll have to save my comments for the Middle America thread!

I have really enjoyed reading this topic.

I followed it all on facebook during the tour and was hoping to meet up with everyone at Adventure Island but could not make it

I am a bit shocked people treated the bonus park like it, but I have seen things happen like that on trips with other groups. We had an hour ert on the Ultimate and some people went on it once and as a result the 2nd train was half full, the same with rides at Flamingo Land. Not only does it show people are a bit rude it can also make a park think twice before giving the ert or going that extra mile.

The 1st year of Saw the coaster was really rough and did beat me up, this year it has been so much better though but I have yet to see the body actually work

Anyway as I said I really enjoyed reading all the reports and hearing different views. Really hope I can make a TPR trip soon as all I have heard is good things from people that have been on them.

Elissa, I may be a little late jumping on this thread, but I can definitely second your feeling about Pizza Hut outside the US. When I was in Shenzhen (China) for two weeks, there was a Pizza Hut downstairs from where we were working, and i kid you not, we must have eaten there for lunch 3-4 times each week! The vast amount of different menu choices was amazing. And forget the choice of 5 soda flavors or tea, the drinks menu was longer than most entire US Pizza Hut menus.

And for those who think we were eating pizza every day, you could not be more mistaken. It was very nice to be able to try different local "non-pizza" dishes and still allow those in our party who were a little less adventurous to just have pizza and salad. Just don't forget (IIRC) the Supreme by default comes with squid on it

... Dinner was at Wagamama and boy do I wish they would take off here in the US, although the concept probably wouldn't go over too well here. Oh well, I'll just have to travel more to get my fill!
Primarily a lurker here but wanted to comment. We have Boom Noodle restuarants up here in the Pac Northwest which are totally based on Wagamama. If you ever visit Seattle for any reason I highly suggest you try them out (sadly our coaster selection is paltry at best). I also hear Republic in NYC is another such restaurant based off of Wagamama.

Day 15

Phantasialand

So Phantasialand is one of those European Parks that I've been to roughly every year now for six years. I am not the biggest fan of it, but I must say after this last visit it is definitely growing on me. Winjas I fully believe is in my top 10 - 20 coaster list, it is just the most amazing fun ride, I truly love it. After a long hot day the previous day I decided to let KT sleep in so we skipped ERT (which hurt because I LOVE Winjas!!!) but she needed the rest and had a super cool little 'nook bed' that she slept a good amount in!

In addition to the ERT we also had gotten everyone fast pass tickets and a VIP Ticket from the hotel as well. This allowed me to get plenty of Winjas rides once we arrived into the park later. We also found some fabulous play areas for KT and some new rides for her as well in the redone Winjas area.

I was at Phantasialand back in 2006, I have to admit this park is probably one of the best I've ever been to. In my mind, it felt and looked to me like a German version of Disneyland. This may not be a common agreement, but that's what it felt like to me at the time I was there.

Winjas had to be one of the best spinning coasters I've ever ridden, with all the track effects and with the weird in the dark bounce at the end of the ride on the brake run. That's freaking awesome, that totally caught me off guard. I was 15, in a country and park in which I had never been to before and I didn't know WHAT to expect.

But, overall, reading this topic and hearing opinions of others who have gone on trips and have had a good time. I'm confident I'm going to have fun next season, not only meeting all of you on the trip but also conquering alot of the rides with you all.

Thanks for taking the time to write this all out Elissa, and giving some input into this as well, Robb. I value it greatly.

Water Jump. Ok, so picture a small ski jump, but instead of snow, it's water!!!

Ok...so I'm still getting used to this 'posting stuff'...but can i tell you that even though i rode 90 coasters on this trip and topped the 600 mark...that this 'water jump' slide was probably the greatest moment on the trip and the one that i laughed the hardest at (at someone else's expense..but who doesn't do this!) Can i also say that this was my first TPR trip...i shall do many others...and for all of you out there to try it at least once!!! Coming from someone who was a first timer, I GOT HOOKED!! Rob And Elissa do a fantastic job and pack a ton of great things into a tiny space!! Not everyone can be pleased all the time. That just happens with big groups. But I am a huge fan and will continue on this Coaster Trek in 2011 in JAPAN!!!!! YOU GO ROB AND ELISSA....BRAVO FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!

I was astonished that we had people in our group that just wanted to ride Olympia Looping...ONCE...and leave. That was really all they seemed interested in.

I just have to say something here....back in 1994 my parents were gracious enough to take me to Munich and to the world famous Octoberfest. Low and behold the Olympia Looping was there. Now in those days you had to pay PER RIDE, 7 Marks to be specific. I think at that time it was close to $11 American per ride. I rode it twice and was blown away, but didn't continue due to lack of funds!

To find that on this current TPR trip i was going to ride the Olympia Looping again....yet this time i was able to ride it NON-STOP with exclusive ride time!!!! IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE. And the Olympia Looping NEVER LET ME DOWN!!! I rode this coaster over and over and over again until the last train was dispatched for our ERT!!!!!!! Schwarzkopf was a genious and his legend lives on with this ride.

Robb and Elissa...all i can say is...THANK YOU!!! The Wurtsburg Fair was AMAZING!!!! The Olympia Looping ERT blew my mind away (what was left of it!)

Edited by robbalvey

Never been on a TPR trip and am a slient although avid follower of your adventures. What you do for the coaster commmunity is astounding. For those of us living in places with limited coaster access your trips are a way of vicariously enjoying the worlds' coaster fun. Even though some on the UK trip may have been "underwhelmed" with the bonus park and the effort this took there are those of us out there who look forward to your updates. Don't Stop!

Can't wait to see you all on the Australia trip.

I'm a little late to this thread (thanks to Dave Fudge for enlightening me) but it's made for great reading.

On the other hand, it is sad hearing about people griping on these trips and for the most part it's about trivial crap that doesn't really matter. Reading this thread gives just an inkling of the logistics that must be involved in putting together such a trip. Frankly I'm surprised at how little goes wrong on these trips (or at least how little seems to go wrong!) considering the multiple hotels, parks, bus journeys and countries involved. And all this for up to a hundred people?

Elissa and Robb, you do a marvellous job organising these trips and it's obvious by this thread that most others feel the same way. Being purely selfish, I for one certainly hope you keep doing this for many years. See you next year!

I just want to say thanks to Robb and Elissa for all of the hard work and planning that goes into one of these trips. Your hard work is well appreciated in my eyes anyway....and many others. Like others, this was my first TPR trip. And like others, I was very concerned about spending such a significant amount of money on a completely unknow experience. I can't say that I was not disappointed about Holiday Park and I can't say that I enjoyed every single aspect of every park. Quite frankly I think that would be impossible. On the other hand, I know that there is no way I could have planned a trip like this on my own. So I just accepted the fact that you cannot control the uncontrolable and enjoyed what you were dedicated enough to create. I will say that, from the bottom of my heart, this was the most meaningful experience so far in my life.

There has never been a time where I have made more friends, gotten closer to a current friend, or had as many amazing and diverse experiences all in a such a short time. I can't value this trip in dollars because it is priceless to me. TPR, to me, is not a coaster club, website, credit whore attainment organization, or a click. To me, TPR is a vehicle which allows for the creation of great experiences, moments, memories, and most importantly relationships with other great people that I would never meet otherwise. I didn't think this way until I went on a TPR trip. The only word I can think of is Thanks.

p.s. The German fair was awesome, especially riding flat rides while being completely drunk.

^Cory - what you described about TPR and the trips in particular is the exact reason why they are so addictive! This summer was my 4th trip, and each trip gets successively better. I got the opportunity to travel with some old friends who I hold very dear, but also got to make some great new friends.

Seriously - the people are the number one attraction. The parks bring us all together, but the fellowship and friendships keep us coming back for more.