TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elissa's Thoughts on the UK and Europe Trips!

Hey Elissa. Just caught up this this thread today.

I wanted you and Robb to know how much I appreciated all the hard work that went into the two trips. I especially like that you we're able to surprise me with a "bonus" park on my birthday. I really rocked.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now onto one of the highlights of the entire three weeks. Splash Landings ERT...oh crap I am now SOOO spoiled. I have decided that we must have more Water Park ERT in the future as it's truly the best way to enjoy a water park!! No lines, no terrible kids doing bad things, just tons of friends, no worrying about leaving your stuff unattended, it was just AMAZING. I must have ridden the rides 10 times each and hung out in the lazy river, pool, kids area a ton! Seriously, need more ENTIRE WATER PARK ERT!!!!

If you ever plan again, pleeaaassseee sign me in! It was so much fun and a great time! Another Bonus Credit for me, my first water coaster! I loved the time we had there and missed the free alcohol, because I stayed the whole time in the water But for the community I have to do some workout before the next waterpark ERT, so the dancing videos are looking more beautiful

Day 13 - Europa Park

So Blue Fire...hmmm...well, much like Black Mamba the majority of Germans had hyped this ride up to be the best ride on Earth, better than everything you've ever been on, etc. I hadn't really followed the ride much and didn't know what it did other than it was a Mack Launched coaster with a few inversions. To be completely honest, I was really let down by it. I know I am in the minority here, but the ride lacked any forces or cool elements or sense of speed, etc.

The trains were the best thing of the ride. ALL coasters should use those trains/seats/restraints.

I agree, the hype about that coaster don´t fit to the reality; it´s just fun and a very good coaster - for a first ever built greater coaster by MACK. I like the look of it. And yes I share your opinion, the trains are the best thing of the ride, they´re so comfortable.

Thanks for sharing again your thoughts about the trip.

I loved the time we had there and missed the free alcohol, because I stayed the whole time in the water

It wasn't free alcohol, you had to pay for it. I managed to end up with a half decent tab for 2 hours swimming and drinking combined! If there was free alcohol, I totally missed out on that aswell!

-Craig

Edited by StealthFan

Europa was an incredible park and a great surprise for me. I really didn't know much about the park before I arrived and I was blown away by everything. The theming, the food, and the rides were great. Blue Fire did seem a little slow, but it was very smooth and still a fun ride. The rest of the rides at the park were awesome, and I definitely have to go back sometime. The hotel was incredible, and it was so fun hanging out with everyone! Great report Elissa!

Just curious, do you ever plan on doing any short trips to a single park for multiple days? I mean some parks seem pretty awesome and it seems like it would take at least 2 days or more to experience them fully. It seems like a lot of people have scheduling issues with the longer trips, where as a two or three day excursion might be more manageable. Of course air fare sucks and it's easier to justify spending the cash if it's for a longer trip. Just think it would be cool to see a more relaxing, vacation type trip, as opposed to the all out coaster blitz type. (I'm old and tired, shhhh, don't tell anyone.)

Man, this is sooo crazy ! While you, Robb and Elissa, vote for Europa being the best park out there...you don`t care for Blue Fire that much ???

All I can tell is that so many people visiting the park, German`s AND non-germans LOVE Blue Fire. Many people said that Blue Fire is hands down the best coaster in the park, even the best one in Germany...and I showed the park to a lot of people/groups since it opened in 2009.

While I TOTALLY respect your opinion and love you work...I really hoped that you would see Blue Fire as a great addition to the park. So I`m just a little dissapointed because of that...but,of course, I don`t want to criticise...

George "thinking Blue Fire`s Heartline Roll is one of the coolest elements EVER" T.

Many people said that Blue Fire is hands down the best coaster in the park, even the best one in Germany...and I showed the park to a lot of people/groups since it opened in 2009.

I liked Blue Fire a lot, thought it was a great addition and even the best coaster at Europa. But, "best coaster in Germany" as in better than EGF. That's crazy talk. Very crazy talk.

Blue Fire has Inversions, Blue Fire has a launch AND Blue Fire has Theming...that`s why I see how people could easily vote Blue Fire over EGF. And many people do...like me.

BUT : A warmed up EGF is MUCH (!) more intense...without any doubt. But B.F. delivers more fun IMHO.

So like always, it`s a question of personal preferences. That`s nothing new...I was just expecting that those who like Europas coaster-style (more fun and well-themed than thrilling) would also like B.F. alot. That`s all.

George T.

Blue Fire was probably the biggest disappointment in Germany for me. But even still, I absolutely love Europa Park!

--Robb "One ride does not make a park." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Well see, GeorgeT,

I followed the built of Blue Fire in many german forums and over here at TPR. After I rode it last year the first time, I liked it and I was very happy to see that MACK did a hughe coaster for their first time. In my opinion, they did their work well and built up a very smooth ride with the greatest trains I ever rode, until now. That could be a good start for the future with this type of ride.

But, after I rode BF, I thought too... OK, it was fun, but there wasn´t much airtime, no thrill and the launch was to slow and short. I didn´t like their first hill and asked me, why they didn´t something more similar to the intamin hills. The loop, yes, it´s a large loop, but not that intense, heartline roll... - I´m not that fan of it, until now. And don´t forget, MACK and Europapark itself said they more want a ride for the family, with a thrilling elements, but not a thrillride. The most people discribe BF as a thrillride and most expect something like that. Theming... yes there is a theming, but not a Europapark like theming I would have expected - I heard it has a little bit changed now, since I was there the last time. I actually more like riding the silverstar - but there I would be on my own now I guess. And EGF, you can´t compare in my opinion, it´s still the best coaster in germany, for me still the best coaster I rode and I´m looking forward to ride again, soon.

Don´t want offend somebody with my explanaitions or begin a discussion. Tried to help you understand, why it´s possible that someone could think that BF isn´t that good as it was hyped or be disappointed, after reading so extreme things like "best coaster on earth", etc. And you can see on my avatar, that I like BF and had fun there. It´s a great ride and I´m looking forward to more MACK rides like it, but like with 13 it´s totally overrated by many persons.

You´re right, although it´s a personal thing - for example, in my opinion Black Mamba is more intense than Nemesis, but I like Nemesis as a ride itself more than Black Mamba And I know, I will be one of the minority and have offended now some Brits

So, let´s hear what Elissa will share next with us... looking forward to it.

Edited by Ledgy

I have to agree with a lot of what has been previously said. Initially after my first couple of rides, I loved everything about the ride (as in theming, the trains etc) but was a little disappointed with the actual ride itself. It wasn't quite as intense as I had hope and seemed to be crawling at certain parts of the ride. But the more and more I rode, the more and more I loved it. It's one of the most "fun" coasters I've been on and I always came off with a giant smile on my face.

Elissa, just caught up on this thread and loving it! It's great being able to see each day of the trip from the organizers point-of-view.

Day 14

Europa Park & Wurzburg Fair

The day started out for most people at Europa. Not for me though, as I had just received word from our final hotel that they had to move us. I pretty much spent the next two hours arguing, pleading, and changing bus/hotel lists to make this work. This is the second time on a trip now that a hotel has had something go wrong and have to move us a few days before our visit!! Very odd!

So it was no big secret that Expedition Ge Force killed itself and as much as we were hoping for it to reopen before the tour it just wasn't going to happen. Keep in mind we already had possible alternatives in mind due to the 'World's Fastest Coaster' not opening at all and even though that day ended up being replaced by Phantasialand I had done other research as well. One of the things that kept resonating with me when trying to decide on an alternative to Ge Force was that it had to be 'comparable' to Ge Force. As much as I, and I'm sure some others, would have LOVED to go to a small traditional German park instead of Holiday Park that just wouldn't be a worth substitute for the world's best steel coaster. So what else to do, personally I would have loved spending more time at Europa and having an earlier night into Phantasialand, but again, we had already cut other parks out of the trip due to them not getting their coasters ready we needed something...

Then the lightbulb went off...

Let's find a German Fair!

Hmm, looking around, seeing some fair options...wait a minute, here's one that will have OLYMPIA LOOPING THERE!!!!

If there was anything I could replace Ge Force with, Olympia Looping would be a great substitute, I mean it's an amazing steel coaster and it's kind of a hard to get credit!

So Robb and I started doing some more work he focused on Olympia Looping and I focused on the fair and beer tent. I made contact with one of the heads of the beer that sponsored the tent and he was awesome and helped arrange designated seating for our group, provided a menu ahead of time, and all kinds of great info. Robb got us ERT on Olympia Looping. What could be better? Oh, it was opening night of the fair so we even got to see the 'first keg tapping' the mayor, and other ceremonies!

It was really a great night. I can't even describe the atmosphere and energy amongst the majority of the group. We were all just having fun, relaxing, drinking, eating, everyone had a smile on their face and it was great. We sat in the tent for a while but then decided to do a lap of the fair before we had to head out. KT did some kiddie rides, Piers won a picture of himself, and we did the ghost train and psycadelic house...it was a lot of fun.

Now, the next bus ride was NOT very good. In addition to some people being drunk (some funny drunk, some annoying drunk) we then had about 20 people completely ignore our instructions at the toilet stop, be late, rude, it was just bad. I again want to thank the people that are reading this that did the right thing and were back with plenty of time to spare after using the toilet. To the rest of you who went to the shop at 11pm needing drinks and snacks...come on, not amused. In the future we'll stop at a more disgusting rest stop without a shop to tempt you!

Made it to the Phantasialand Hotel finally and had a great night at a great resort. We had previously stayed at Ling Bao a few times so opted for the newer Matamba which was equally awesome.

Next up: Phantasialand!

The German Fair was an incredible experience.

*The pretzels and Apple Strudel were the best I have ever had.

*The Disco walkthrough was like an acid trip, not that I would know.

*The haunted ride was awesome, and the plastic credit card tickets were very unique.

*The gun game was so awesome, and Piers took a great picture

*The lack of barriers was also really interesting, as any kid could have ran right onto the kiddie rides when they were in motion. Good thing that wasn't in the US!

*Elissa riding the pole was awesome, and she almost climaxed the pole!

I think I ate over $100 worth of food, and it was worth every cent! Thank you so much Robb and Elissa for one of the most incredible nights! That fair ended up being exactly why TPR is so awesome. One of the best days of the entire trip for me wasn't at the park that had the best rides, but at the fair with the screwed up rides, tons of junk food, drunk TPR people, and people almost peeing themselves on the bus! Olympia Looping was awesome! It had so much force, and was a really incredible ride. I got a massive headache, but it was worth the 13 rides!

As for the rest stop, that was pretty bad. Even with people being just 15 minutes late, it ended up being pretty crappy for those of us who helped unload the bus, and take all the TPR stuff to the rooms. I was so tired, and it was so late, that I barely even remember taking the bags to the different rooms, and then not even opening mine but just crashing. But I do remember in that stupor thinking, WTF, there is a climbing wall in the hallway? I thought I had completely lost it. But in the morning it was still there! That was a really awesome hotel, and the double bed hidden rooms were awesome!

On a historical note, the town that the fair was held in killed almost the entire population of Jews and Gypsies in the early 1900's. Jewy will have to avoid that town when he visits for Oktoberfest!

Two things:

One, this is the most informative and interesting thread about a TPR trip I've ever read. Really gives a look at how these trips actually go down and what happens away from the parks themselves (I actually like the planning of trips, so there's another bonus in this).

Two, for all of you mentioning that Blue Fire "crawls," I visited a month earlier and though the same thing. If you added some more juice to this coaster, it would be great, but for now it doesn't compare to even the best Intamin launchers. Doesn't affect the park's quality a bit. Best place I've been to.

First of all, I have to completely agree with Brian's (STR8EDGE) post a few pages back - well put, my friend. I 110% appreciate all of the effort that Elissa, Robb, and others put in to making sure people have a great time. I knew about some of the on-the-fly changes that had to be made, but getting the real inside scoop just makes it that much more impressive. I have no complaints whatsoever and I'm still telling people about what a great time I had and all of the people I met. To keep this short, I'll just say that this was the most fun week I ever remember having in my life, and there's some pretty heavy competition for that. A million "thank you's".

Fingers crossed that I can make it to Japan,

Dan

I don't think there could have been a better substitute for Expedition GeForce, so thanks a million for that one! It was literally a dream come true to be able to ride Olympia Looping. I never in a million years thought that I would actually be able to ride it! I still can't believe it. I also can't thank Hanno enough for the photos he took as I now have an amazing souvenir photo of myself riding Olympia Looping in the front seat!

I don't even drink and I had a flipping blast at the German Fair. What an awesome time it was! I thought it was really cool how they let our group try to climb the pole to ring the bell. I felt special that they let us be a part of their tradition.

I was really concerned for the bus ride back that we would have a bunch of belligerent drunks acting a fool, but instead it was just a hilariously entertaining bus ride! Great times!

There are several things about this night that I want to mention -

First off, this has to be one of the most awesome nights in TPR history. It was right up there with our "Beach Party" at Belmont Park on the 2009 West Coast Trip when we rented out the Flow Rider.

The German Fair exceeded all expectations I could have ever had. Olympia Looping, while not as intense as the West Edmonton Mall Mindbender, did not disappoint in any way. The bizarre "little" attractions, like the shooting game which took a photo of Piers, the Psychedelia walkthrough, the dark ride with the live talent that scared the bejesus out of you, the crazy food that was at every stand, the little kids rides where there seemed to be no rules at all, etc, etc, etc.... All just completely amazing.

The beer tent experience was also a "first" for me - The blazing hot pretzels, the event hotter pretzel girl, the mayor coming out and welcoming everyone to the fair (does anyone here remember Strange Brew? It was just like that...except not Canadian), Elissa climbing the pole, the INSANE amount of food, and the even more INSANE amount of beer. The whole thing was probably one of the most unique "cultural" (yes, this is culture!) experiences that TPR has ever offered.

It could have been a perfect night for TPR...

If there weren't a few people who had to rain on the parade...

We had a lot more, how do you put this... "credit whore" types on this trip. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I realized on this night that there certainly is a difference between the die-hard credit whores and the rest of TPR. I do worry that maybe some people had a misconception about TPR being just credit whores. Perhaps it's because we mention being credit whores in our updates, and I only realized on this very night at the German fair that people are taking our captions too seriously. Yes, we can all be credit whores, but on a TPR trip it's MORE than just riding each coaster once and then moving on. I've already mentioned my shock when everyone pussied out of riding Olympia Looping, but was even more shocking to me was some of the comments made to me about how long we had to stay there and the lack of stuff to do. I think my favorite quote from the entire trip that I've told people about was during the fair, we were all wandering around in amazement over all the bizarre things that we were seeing and someone walked up to me and said...

"Hey Robb, I've taken a lap around this place and I have to say that, other than the coaster and a flat ride or two, there isn't anything here of interest."

*blink*

*blink*

I just stood there kind of dumbfounded and I think I just responded "Um...sure, I guess..."

Thinking back on it I should have said "What?!?!? Are you kidding me??? Just *LOOK AROUND YOU*!!! "Nothing of interest???" You would never EVER find anything like what we had just experienced, and the fair that we were wandering around in, EVER in America. Maybe if you were from Germany, and had been to Oktoberfest each year, I could almost understand that statement, as it was a smaller fair, but still, every where we turned around there was just amazing stuff...and we didn't even ride many rides!

It was at this very moment that I think I realized that the true TPR members are ones that appreciate all aspects of parks, themed attractions, amusements, roller coasters, dark rides, shows, arcades, food service, EVERYTHING.

TPR is *not* a "credit whore group" or a "just roller coasters" group. We are NOT the kind of people want to just run into a park, ride a coaster, run out. Ok, sure, we've done this before, but it's not the basis of this site. And especially not when you're at a venue that is like nothing most people have ever seen before in their home country.

I was astonished that we had people in our group that just wanted to ride Olympia Looping...ONCE...and leave. That was really all they seemed interested in.

And while I do appreciate that this kind of person wants to go on a TPR trip, I think I have to let the "credit whores" know that, if you can't have a good time "partying it up" in Germany, or hanging out at a "never-in-America" kind of venue bores you, and all you want is the worlds collection of Wacky Worms, a TPR trip may not be for you. Or, at least, don't bitch about it when the rest of us are having a kick ass time drinking beer, eating crazy food, putting on 3D glasses, and wandering around a psychedelic maze!

--Robb

ps. Oh, yeah, and the bus stop thing at the rest area that Elissa mentioned. Wow, you give people an inch and they take a mile. That will be the last time we give into the groups request if they are just going to take advantage of us. When we say "this is a 10 minute pee stop" we don't mean "take your sweet 'ol time buying crap in the shop and then get mad at us when we have to come in and tell you the bus is leaving."

Edited by robbalvey

^ The live scare actors in the dark ride got me, but the one that you didn't mention got me even worse. The guy at the end of the Psychedelic walk through that popped out of the wall made me about piss my pants! I almost punched him in the face, haha!

OMG! ME TOO!!! Only because I did not expect there to be live actors in that thing. Again, it was amazing. Just like that entire night...strike that...that entire day!!!

--Robb

First off, this has to be one of the most awesome nights in TPR history. It was right up there with our "Beach Party" at Belmont Park on the 2009 West Coast Trip when we rented out the Flow Rider.

It was at this very moment that I think I realized that the true TPR members are ones that appreciate all aspects of parks, themed attractions, amusements, roller coasters, dark rides, shows, arcades, food service, EVERYTHING.

TPR is *not* a "credit whore group" or a "just roller coasters" group. We are NOT the kind of people want to just run into a park, ride a coaster, run out. Ok, sure, we've done this before, but it's not the basis of this site. And especially not when you're at a venue that is like nothing most people have ever seen before in their home country.

I have to say that some of the best times I've had during TPR trips are actually things like the beach parties on the West Coast trip or hanging out in hotel lobbies or watching shows starring Trevor or bus ride antics or group meals. These are the things I remember most about the TPR trips. I knew when a bunch of us were just hanging out in the bar at Indiana Beach on the MidWest trip in 2007 that TPR was definitely the right place for me.

I just wanted to say too, that I love this thread. It's awesome getting to hear about the trip from the organizers' point of view.

I must say I found the Wurzburg Fair one of the most memorable moments of the europe trip. Great Fair, I rode Olympia until my head felt it would leave my brain somewhere on the wrong side of my ears. I think I got about 6 rides before that. And if that Mindbender is more intense I don't think that would be a coaster I can ride much.

Being a dark-ride guy more than a coaster guy I totally enjoyed psychodelic. It was insane, fun and unexpected. And the souvenir glasses still work .

The Beertent experience was excellent, we had fun service at our table. Orders going wrong, the waitress did not understand us or what she had written down herself. The food was very good, I never ate pigskin before and it did not taste bad. It was kind of weird but tasty. And I just had a great time in the tent.

Oh, and the view was very nice, there were some good looking bavarian girl with pretzels hanging around.

Elissa and Robb, thank you for this more than excellent evening which was a total surprise.

Note to all Europa trippers (psychodelic baby): If Hans asked you if you were an american, and if you were nice you will get bonus points.

Note to all Europa trippers (psychodelic baby): If Hans asked you if you were an american, and if you were nice you will get bonus points.

I forgot about that! That was so funny

Day 14

Europa Park & Wurzburg Fair

As much as I, and I'm sure some others, would have LOVED to go to a small traditional German park instead of Holiday Park that just wouldn't be a worth substitute for the world's best steel coaster.

And i was wondering why didn´t choose to visit Tripsdrill to substitute for Holiday Park. This explains a lot

^^ Hans when you read this, you still have to fill me in on this. I keep on reading about this, and I still don't know what happened that night

About the reststop incident, one of the things I liked most on the WCT last year (and I'm sure it's on every TPR trip like that), was the punctuallity. Everybody was always on time, the bus always drove off to the announced minute. It stressed me out a bit the first time I learned that 'the bus will leave without me if I would be late', but it really works and I really liked it.

In fact, once in a while, I'm organising daytrips at work for the colleagues, and since the WCT, I'm actually using this too. I even tell I learned this by going on a trip with TPR and even don't translate it in my own language : 'Be on time for the bus. The bus WILL leave without you if you're not on time and you didn't warn me'. (ok, I added the last 5 words myself). But, as said it works. Everybody was on time and no stress for me, but also no stress for everybody who was on time, because there wasn't any waiting for people being late.

Too bad it obviously didn't work at the reststop that night.