TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Elissa's Thoughts on the UK and Europe Trips!

What a great thread, Elissa! It's interesting to read about the trip through your perspective, so thanks a bunch for sharing.

It's crazy to hear about all of the things that were looming over our heads that we had no idea about. I too was really worried about the ash clouds, as well as the BA strike issues. I'm glad everything worked out!

I'm not the best with words, but I just want to say that I can't thank you and Robb enough for everything that you did for us on this trip. It was my first TPR trip, and I'm not gonna lie... I was quite nervous going into the trip and I had no idea what to expect, but man... I never could have imagined the great time that I was about to have. I am 100% dead serious when I say that this trip was the most fun I have EVER had! I felt like I got my money's worth by like the 3rd day of the trip.

The only complaints that I have about the trip is how sad I am that it's over, and how impossible it is to explain to people the amount of fun that I had, and how many great people I met on the trip. Photos and videos do the trip no justice. I'm gonna leave it at this, as I don't want to spill ALL of my thoughts before I even start my TR for the trip.

Thanks again to you and Robb. I can't even begin to imagine what you two go through to plan and execute these trips. Amazing!

I think this might be my favorite post ever written on TPR!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great thread, Elissa! It's interesting to read about the trip through your perspective, so thanks a bunch for sharing.

It's crazy to hear about all of the things that were looming over our heads that we had no idea about. I too was really worried about the ash clouds, as well as the BA strike issues. I'm glad everything worked out!

I'm not the best with words, but I just want to say that I can't thank you and Robb enough for everything that you did for us on this trip. It was my first TPR trip, and I'm not gonna lie... I was quite nervous going into the trip and I had no idea what to expect, but man... I never could have imagined the great time that I was about to have. I am 100% dead serious when I say that this trip was the most fun I have EVER had! I felt like I got my money's worth by like the 3rd day of the trip.

The only complaints that I have about the trip is how sad I am that it's over, and how impossible it is to explain to people the amount of fun that I had, and how many great people I met on the trip. Photos and videos do the trip no justice. I'm gonna leave it at this, as I don't want to spill ALL of my thoughts before I even start my TR for the trip.

Thanks again to you and Robb. I can't even begin to imagine what you two go through to plan and execute these trips. Amazing!

I want totally assent to this view. Don´t know if you read my post in the "Thank you"-Topic of the UK-Trip Forum, but I didn´t really find the right words, like STR8FXXXINEDGE did. This Trip was my first one, too, and it was one of the best Holiday Trip I ever had and I did many journeys, except in the last few years. And like it was said, you got a mass more back than you paid for. Everyday there was a great surprise for me what we get and especially your real surprises you did for us were so amazing. Don´t know if you recognized that, but I got so freaked out at the Bonus Park, I would needed some tranquilizers I only rode the Vekomas at this park, but did enjoy watching the rest of the group riding this spinning attractions. I can´t do this type of attractions, I would directly get sea sick.

I love to read your thoughts and get more informations about what you think of the days and have to work out. At Alton Towers, we get all a small impression, what you have to do behind the scenes and you get my full respect for all that you do.

Didn´t recognize, that some of the group were a little bit dissatisfied sometimes or said that to you and was sad to hear, that you get the impression we´re not thankful about what you do - I really am! - But in my case that could fit to the sentence Erik said:

and people seemed a bit more underwhelmed than I had hoped for

May be it was the european mentality while we normaly don't show and or speak out our appreciation as exuberant as most of the americans do. For me the bonus park was a real supprise and I loved it... two unexpected Vekoma credits!

Comparing Wagamama and The Sipson Tandoori, both were great, but I more liked the Sipson - it was very interesting, what they cooked with all this different spices! And it was so many!!! But Wagamama at Windsor... wow that was a so beautiful region! I got a little bit confused with the menu card, so I sadly took the wrong menu. But it was a very good meal.

I have been extremely fortunate to have taken many trips with the Alveys. I have never been disappointed. To put things in perspective I have done coaster trips with ACE, ECC and CZ. They have been good but the TPR trips, are by far superior. I have planned and done many trips on my own in the US and Canada and I can appreciate how tough it is to put together such high quality trips that TPR does.

Elissa is a detailed planner. This was so obvious with the two Japan trips I have been on. If you do no other trip please consider Japan with TPR.

I cannot thank the Alveys enough for what experiences and memories that they have added to my life.

So, very random question, and maybe the right location to post it? But...

Have you or Robb ever ridden Olympia Looping before this trip?

Never. And the odd thing about it is that, in my 16 years of amusement park traveling, I've never managed to hit Olympia Looping...and this year, I'll end up hitting it TWICE!

--Robb

Day 13

Europa Park

I've been to A LOT of parks, like a lot, seriously, don't second guess me...Europa Park is the best park on the planet.

There I've said it, I've put it out there, Europa Park is Elissa's number one park on the planet. The Europa Park Resort I would most likely put only slightly below the WDW and Tokyo Disney Resorts as a whole. It's that amazing.

Woke up, not really breakfast eaters so headed right for ERT on Blue Fire! Yay, a new credit for me!!! So Blue Fire...hmmm...well, much like Black Mamba the majority of Germans had hyped this ride up to be the best ride on Earth, better than everything you've ever been on, etc. I hadn't really followed the ride much and didn't know what it did other than it was a Mack Launched coaster with a few inversions. To be completely honest, I was really let down by it. I know I am in the minority here, but the ride lacked any forces or cool elements or sense of speed, etc.

The trains were the best thing of the ride. ALL coasters should use those trains/seats/restraints. They put Intamin, B&M, even the Premier systems to shame. The 'preshow' was also amazing and it gave me flashbacks to the Furius Baco preshow...unfortunetly then the ride starts and was just kind of 'meh'. Again, I'll say it again, Europa Park is amazing and when two of the 'weaker' coasters in the line up are a B&M Hyper and a Mack Launched you know you've got a pretty awesome park.

Robb and some others went on a little tour of the park after ERT and KT and I just explored and had a great time riding random rides here and there. There aren't any big rides at the park that KT can do, but a crap ton of random kids rides, family rides, and of course GIANT PLAY STRUCTURES! Once the tour was over the boys found us on some giant slide and we headed to the Swiss area for one of my favorite foods, RACLETTE! Now I eat it a bit different than you're supposed to, dipping my German soft pretzel into the yummy gooey melted cheese, but whatever, sue me, it tastes amazing!

As we sat in our little Swiss Chalet, eating amazing food, drinking a soda with ice in it, and hearing them dispatch the bobsled roughly every 35 seconds we all just smiled and marveled at the park.

Next up we went around hitting up more random rides and fun. Had some awesome fresh crepes. (Any park that serves crepes that are not fresh and merely just reheated does not deserve that cool little circle griddle!!!!) Hit up some more rides, got more awesome food, etc. This pattern pretty much repeated until we decided to head back to the hotel shortly before close to get ready for our group dinner and other stuff.

Back at the hotel KT climbed up and down the themed bunk bed roughly 568 times. She is now set on getting a bunk bed of her own after experiencing them at a few hotels on the trip. At this point Robb and I worked on trip stuff (setting up where to leave luggage, confirming our next days activites, etc.) Then it was almost time for dinner so we headed downstairs to the awesome hotel Restaurant, of course stopping on our way to let KT play in several kids play areas in the hotel.

Dinner was great, food, friends, theming, what more could you ask for! Another fun night and then a crazy day the next day!!! Some really interesting stuff coming up in the next post talking about the German Fair!

The trains were the best thing of the ride. ALL coasters should use those trains/seats/restraints. They put Intamin, B&M, even the Premier systems to shame.

This was my exact thought coming off the ride: That those restraints are so good all other coaster companies should be embarrassed. I really hope to see more rides like that soon.

I just caught up with this thread tonight so forgive me for going back a few pages. I am sad to hear that people were disappointed with Pleasure Island and all of the effort you put into the trip. Maybe I just was suffering from "back of the bus" syndrome, but I had a blast the entire trip and especially at Pleasure Island. Between the two bonus credits, another chance to squeeze my fat ass into a roller skater with Robb (I love you big boy ) and that awesome extended frisbee cycle how could anyone complain??

About halfway through the U.K. trip I posted the following status on my Facebook: It should be illegal to have this much fun! I don't think that I could summarize my trip any better. Thanks for allowing me to act like a 10 year old for the entire trip without having any of the normal worries of travel. I couldn't have asked for anything more and the trip exceeded my expectations in every way!!!

And finally I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying your insight Elissa. Keep it coming!!

I've been to A LOT of parks, like a lot, seriously, don't second guess me...Europa Park is the best park on the planet.

Same

The Europa Park Resort I would most likely put only slightly below the WDW and Tokyo Disney Resorts as a whole. It's that amazing.

Same

I hadn't really followed the ride much and didn't know what it did other than it was a Mack Launched coaster with a few inversions. To be completely honest, I was really let down by it. I know I am in the minority here, but the ride lacked any forces or cool elements or sense of speed, etc.

Same

The trains were the best thing of the ride. ALL coasters should use those trains/seats/restraints. They put Intamin, B&M, even the Premier systems to shame.

Same.

Same

The Europa Park Resort I would most likely put only slightly below the WDW and Tokyo Disney Resorts as a whole. It's that amazing.

Same

I hadn't really followed the ride much and didn't know what it did other than it was a Mack Launched coaster with a few inversions. To be completely honest, I was really let down by it. I know I am in the minority here, but the ride lacked any forces or cool elements or sense of speed, etc.

Same

Same.

I detect a "sameness" to this response.

Europa Park is excellent--my favorite of TPR's Europe Trip in 2008. I echo what Elissa, Robb, and Dave have said--visit this place now!

Edited by cfc

"Next up was a bonus park, Robb and I worked REALLY hard to make this work and people seemed a bit more underwhelmed than I had hoped for. It was at this point, I kind of realized that I think people expect too much from us. People were starting to expect bonus parks, bonus meals, bonus ERT, just everything from us. We can't even surprise or have fun anymore, cause we're supposed to give like 135%. The bonus park was cool and KT got another credit and I got beat up on another stupid Vekoma Boomerang!"

I'm just now getting caught up on all things TPR. E, I'm so upset that this is your takeaway from the day. I distinctly remember having a huge grin on my face and giving you and Robb a big Kudos and thumps up for this (even though I just couldn't do the spin and spew ride). I had no clue this was happening, and quite frankly, after the horrible "incident" I had with a couple of my tour mates, this moment completely washed that away and made me refocus on the amazing times I always have on the trips. I really hope you don't stop trying to surprise and delight, there's always some of us out there VERY appreciative of your efforts, but I can completely understand that after this experience you might decide to stick to the script. It truly was a grand highlight for me! Thank you.

Edited by robbalvey

Just spent a few minutes reading through the UK portion of the trip. Motoway service stations? Really? I find they're mostly full of coaches ferrying old people around the country and overpriced sandwiches!

I've been to A LOT of parks, like a lot, seriously, don't second guess me...Europa Park is the best park on the planet

Couldn't agree more...this park blew me away with it's theming and great collection of unique rides and coasters! I am sooo glad that we rented the car and drove over from Munich for the day - one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Are you guys going to try and tie in another visit when you do Oktoberfest, or is time just too tight? They really deck the park up nice for Halloween!

Just spent a few minutes reading through the UK portion of the trip. Motoway service stations? Really? I find they're mostly full of coaches ferrying old people around the country and overpriced sandwiches!

You're right. The food isn't that great in those places, but there is no equivalent in most of the US. You either get some nasty truck stop (over-sized petrol station) or a "rest area", which is basically just a place to picnic and use the bathroom. Rest areas typically do not sell any food beyond vending machines.

From a trip organizer's point of view, I can see why she's happy with a clean food court type place that gives people several dining options as well as a decent newsstand/gift shop to pick up a few things at.

I wonder if the prevalence of sightseeing buses with strict driving time regulations may have lead to the construction of nicer service stations in Europe.

To be fair the only place i've ever stopped on a coach in the USA was in the middle of the Mojave Desert. And that was a McDonalds.. So i can see why you'd like our places so much. (Although the "small" meal was enough to feed a family of four.)

I'm rather enjoying learning about Europe and the various parks, between this thread and larrygator's thread on the same, plus bonus, not only have I killed time at work, but also learned things I other wise wouldn't have known, like the tunnel for example that historically had traffic issues. I looked that up and watched a mega builders episode on it online, quite interesting.

I'm seriously beginning to believe that Robb and Elissa are telepathic.

Anyway, just by pictures and all the TR's I've read, I can tell Europa park must be one heck of an amazing place. You have no idea how envious I am of these TPR trips. Eventually I'm going to go on one...

I loved Europa Park and I can't wait to return to the resort again. I wonder if anyone else saw the Ice Show or the 4D movie? The ice show started out with this clown making fun of people in a Never-in-America way (pretending he was gay and that his balls fell out and then he kicked his own balls around the rink for a while) and the show itself was amazing, combining crazy costumes and acrobats with skating.

The 4D movie was in one of the nicest themepark movie theaters I have ever seen. I guess they show movies at night after the park closes for hotel guests, at least that is what we could make out from the signs. The movie was crystal clear and beautiful, about a couple of turtles and the environment. It was entirely in German but we both cried because it was so cute and moving! They had LOTS of 4D effects and it was awesome! I would love to see it in English.

The Colosseo was awesome. Great rooms, great bars, nice staff, lovely grounds, nice pool, etc.

Europa Park is actually the only theme park on my Bucket List, so to speak. I love coasters and parks, don't get me wrong, but I'm not as into them as many people on here, although there isn't anything wrong with that. I just have other interests that are fighting for dominance in my obsessions. That said, Europa Park is still something I'd like to hit before I cash in the mortal coil...

Europe Park is one of my favorite places i've been to so far. I just like to be able to walk around the place and spot new things every time. Things that have been there for years or new small changes. There's always something new to see.

Regarding BlueFire.. for some reason i remember the launch being more powerful when it first opened and the ride going quicker through the different elements.. it's still fun (don't get me wrong) but there's more potential (i think) and yeah.. those restraints are amazing.

regarding the other rides.. they all have their own special thing.. some you want (need) to ride as a group.. and some are just plain fun (even when riding by yourself). And yes.. there's more to parks (and life) then coasters.

Hope this all makes sense, can't wait to go back there again.

Loving this topic so far and looking forward to the same for the next TPR trips

Great report of Europa Park

What makes Europa Park great?

- The unique collection of attractions

- The atmosphere. You can pretty much just sit down on a park bench and relax. You will still have a great time

- The attention to detail

- The quality

- How great the ride ops are. They get the queues moving fast.

- The resorts are superb

- AMAZING shows.

- Lots of non-attraction things to do. Such as play grounds.

- Very well priced.

- Great choice of music and sounds on rides and throughout the park.

I can see why you find this to be the best park on Earth. And I strongly agree that it is amazing. I put it on my top three parks for sure. The only thing I would change is I would put single rider lines on all the major coasters. But that is what I would change about every park.

--James