TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Just read an article (on Towers Street) that they expect a 2018 opening. I understand this is going on the log flume's place, will it be that hard to clear the ground? Because I know GCI can probably build this in what under 6 months? If they really start in september (like the article stated) They got plenty of time. I never been to the park so I was wondering.

If planning permission is granted then construction of the new ride is due to start September 2016 and should be complete December 2017. They will start removing the flume in September this year. Ground works will likely be done during closed season or early next season, with the coaster going vertical middle of next season.

Edited by thedazza
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what do we make of this? As well as the postponed 'World of David Walliams' featuring 'Gangsta Granny: The Ride' opening this season, Alton Towers have rented three classic fairground rides they ar

I mean, at least Merlin is finally using their bizarre ass marketing for something that kind of works?!!? I get that it's a bunch of temporary carnival rides but at this point I'll take it!

I think they're trying to make the best out of a bad situation - partly of their own doing as they seem to have got rid of all their support rides. The choice of rides seems pretty crappy so well done

Posted Images

Well it's certainly decent, going to be interesting to find out whether there's something more to this with all previous secret weapons being a worlds first or breaking a record. Still not understanding why they're planning to take so long with construction though, the sites a little hilly, but aside from that i'm not seeing why it's going to take over a year to build.

Still not understanding why they're planning to take so long with construction though, the sites a little hilly, but aside from that i'm not seeing why it's going to take over a year to build.

Well, if it has a launched lift hill....

Sorry I couldn't resist

Still not understanding why they're planning to take so long with construction though, the sites a little hilly, but aside from that i'm not seeing why it's going to take over a year to build.

Well, if it has a launched lift hill....

I'm hoping they'll go with the pirate theme, seeming as the entrance is within Mutiny Bay, but the Flume sat there with bathtubs floating around for years, so anything could happen. A break from the evil/sinister theme that Merlin seem to be hung up on would be good.

The plans show possible theming around the track, so having some sort of shipwreck that the coaster speeds through could provide some good head-chopper moments.

Oh dear god, please don't let Guy find this thread!!!!!

Shh! Do not invoke his name, lest he appear!

Seeing that layout, it looks more like an 'old school' woodie than a modern one.

Not going to judge it until it leaves the paper, but I was going to say... I remember a good while back, there were some good-looking plans and a rumor going around about a terrain wood coaster. Looks like they would be going the slightly less ambitious route. I imagine the neighbors could have something to do with that.

Alton is very high on my list of places to visit because of Nemesis, and I know Oblivion was a thing prior to that type evolving into what it is today with the Busch installations- but there are a lot of less than inspired designs at that park, it seems. I can see what they were shooting for with Thirteen, but beyond that (some would say failed) concept and Nemesis...?

The neighbours didn't have anything to do with this one, the plan was to have a big terrain woodie that started in Forbidden Valley but the Smiler crash caused attendance to fall off a cliff. So Merlin are...reluctant to spend huge amounts of cash at the moment. This was supposed to be open next year but got pushed back a year for the same reason.

I'm hoping they'll go with the pirate theme, seeming as the entrance is within Mutiny Bay, but the Flume sat there with bathtubs floating around for years, so anything could happen. A break from the evil/sinister theme that Merlin seem to be hung up on would be good.

The plans show possible theming around the track, so having some sort of shipwreck that the coaster speeds through could provide some good head-chopper moments.

The plans also say that the station will have a thatched roof and timber construction, more like Katanga Canyon than Mutiny Bay, but the entrance is in Mutiny Bay so who knows!

I'd love this! I was hoping for the coaster to be over water too with water effects, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

Went to AT for an interview last month. Spoke with a manager whom shall remain anonymous and we had the following conversation.

"So the new woodie, I've two manufacturers in mind who id love the coaster to come from"

Him "What manufacturers have you got in mind?"

Me "Rocky Mountain and GCI"

Him "If you're after a Rocky Mountain, I wouldn't buy tickets if I were you"

Me "I'd still love a GCI mind"

Him "Then you won't be disappointed"

Take with a pinch of salt but if I was a betting man I'd edge your bets on the GCI we're all expecting.

I only rode one CGI and that was Twister at Gröna Lund... I liked the first drop and the compact size intertwined with the other 3? coasters... But the ride it self still left me kind of disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting.

I know Alton probably needs a good family-ride more than another thrill-ride, but still... I would've loved a second RMC in Europe.

Maybe the launch will give it an extra kick.

I believe my name was invoked 3 times. That's my cue.

I'm kinda the Beetlejuice of TPR.

Oooohhh! Shizz is about to get real!

#IcantwaittogettoAltonTowersfinallyonceSW18isopen