TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Merlin do actually take good care of their rides. Name one which is not taken care of.

While the engineers do their best to maintain the rides to the highest standards the fact of the matter is they are not given the money to take care of theming etc.

Prime example of rides that until recently have not been taken care of as well as they should do due to funds are Safari Skyway, Tomb Blaster, Loggers Leap, Colossus, Nemesis (station mostly), Hex, The Dragon. That's a few rides that have been left to get in an absolute state due to the money not being granted to allow them to fix it. I've spoken to engineers at various parks over the years and they all take immense pride in what they do but they can only do so much with the resources given to them.

As for Octonauts station well the less said about that the better........

I agree, and I'll add Dragon Falls and Scorpion Express to the list, where the rock theming fell into such disrepair that lumps of concrete were coming off and foam was showing through the cracks to the point it couldn't even be repaired and had to be removed.

I agree, and I'll add Dragon Falls and Scorpion Express to the list, where the rock theming fell into such disrepair that lumps of concrete were coming off and foam was showing through the cracks to the point it couldn't even be repaired and had to be removed.

To be fair Runaway Train as a ride is arguably one of the most reliably rides at Chessington, the issues with that attraction was a lot more than the mountain alone. Anyway thats a discussion for the Chessington thread really.

That's more down to shoddy and rushed construction of it, it was never going to stand up against the weather and general wear and tear.

This though is something I wouldn't blame the contractor for one single bit. I personally blame Merlin and the pressure they put on contractors to do stuff as fast as possible and cheap as possible. I would like to think that they have rebuilt that station over the winter but I haven't heard anything confirming this yet.

I guess the rust is applied in a completely separate stage, possibly even by a different company (eg, Studios might be doing this). Plus even if they are painting it white, don't worry, with the way Merlin are with looking after their rides, it'll be rusty again within a couple of seasons

Merlin do actually take good care of their rides. Name one which is not taken care of.

Smiler.

Too soon?

I mean is there something i missed or are you one of those who still think it's a mechanical fault?

I guess the rust is applied in a completely separate stage, possibly even by a different company (eg, Studios might be doing this). Plus even if they are painting it white, don't worry, with the way Merlin are with looking after their rides, it'll be rusty again within a couple of seasons

Smiler.

Too soon?

I mean is there something i missed or are you one of those who still think it's a mechanical fault?

I was actually referring to the track issue in 2013-4 that caused it to close for a bit.

Haven't seen this posted here so thought I would share it with you. Fans of Hex at Alton Towers may find this interesting.

When Hex originally opened it was a bit different to what it is now. The ride hardware was the same as it is now, and the storyline was basically the same as it is now, although the way the story was told and the actual experience was rather different.

Hex opened at the beginning of the 2000 season but due to poor reviews closed for improvements part way into the season, much like Nemesis: Sub-Terra did when that opened.

The British Dark Rides project have released the original film that was shown at the beginning of the ride, as well as an audio mix of the full original ride experience.

Here is the original full audio mix.

https://soundcloud.com/electricblll/hex-original-audio-mix

The original cinema show video.

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/153953338[/vimeo]

Here is the cinema show video that is shown now.

Thought some of you may find it interesting, just a shame Hex will be SBNO this season.

Man, I know it doesn't fit the theme nearly as well, but that fresh paint on Nemesis is gorgeous!

I think it fits it fine, as contrary to popular belief Nemesis' track is actually supposed to be a bone-like exoskeleton, not metal. It's the supports that are the metal that restrains the monster.

It's not going to be staying white. Judging by the cover picture of this unused "Towers Loving Care" Twitter profile, the ending colour will be more of a rusty brown.

Not sure if this is going to be happening anymore since we all thought the finished color was on the right, however from the Ariel picture we can see that all that section is now fully white. So i really get the feeling this is going to remain white, without the rust. It does look nice in both colors though.

It's not going to be staying white. Judging by the cover picture of this unused "Towers Loving Care" Twitter profile, the ending colour will be more of a rusty brown.

Not sure if this is going to be happening anymore since we all thought the finished color was on the right, however from the Ariel picture we can see that all that section is now fully white. So i really get the feeling this is going to remain white, without the rust. It does look nice in both colors though.

I would guess that any rust effects will probably be painted by different people than the 'proper' paint (possibly Merlin Studios?). Not ruling it out altogether but it's just something worth bearing in mind

I really don't like Nemesis looking like that. Don't get my wrong it is a very good quality paint job by the looks of it but its too much. Im sure if/when they apply the rust look my opinion may change. Personally I don't think the track was the issues, the station by far was the issue and it looks like it hasn't been touched yet. I hope we see that soon.

I really don't like Nemesis looking like that. Don't get my wrong it is a very good quality paint job by the looks of it but its too much. Im sure if/when they apply the rust look my opinion may change. Personally I don't think the track was the issues, the station by far was the issue and it looks like it hasn't been touched yet. I hope we see that soon.

Agree completely, I really don't like the white if thats the final colour. Hoping it won't be though, as the @AltonTLC twitter posted these earlier showing the 'base' white coat being applied for a station refurb, hoping its the same deal with the track as suggested in the earlier tweet as 'work in progress'.

nem.JPG.775b0439645256dc76470114736e955a.JPG

nem2.JPG.22ebca21d2ee980c5747e579601fef15.JPG

It took months because they had to paint the primer on with rollers/brushes. If they add the rust effect, this will just be done with spray paint and won't take long at all. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it won't "take at least two months" to apply the rust effect