TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

It does imply a launch, which would be pretty cool for a flying coaster.

It also does imply a starry night sky. I'd be cautious about such a concept art.

By the way, as it has already happened to Air before, what happens when the ride get stuck for a long moment and you have your VR headset on?

It automatically skypes a journalist who works for The Daily Mail so they can quote you in an article about how dangerous roller coasters are.

Any-one else notice the google information segment for The Smiler says permanently closed in a red box. The drop down box says: The Smiler is recorded as closed at this location. If that's wrong, please report it. That seems correct considering the park is closed so it is closed at that location but none of the other coasters have that status and it just seems weird they would put permanently in the box based on that description.

Any-one else notice the google information segment for The Smiler says permanently closed in a red box. The drop down box says: The Smiler is recorded as closed at this location. If that's wrong, please report it. That seems correct considering the park is closed so it is closed at that location but none of the other coasters have that status and it just seems weird they would put permanently in the box based on that description.

Its been like that since the accident. As far as I recall someone said there's no option for SBNO so whoever edits it (can anyone edit it?) just put closed.

The park have said it'll open this year but theres no actual date yet. It is still listed but showing as closed on their website.

The flying coasters already make me feel kind of sick just from the pressure they put on your stomach. I don't imagine the claustrophobia of VR goggles would help. I'll be very curious if this sticks around or if it'll be a novelty that only lasts a few seasons. I know that riding coasters is a relatively rare, special experience, whereas staring at screens is not. Once I start feeling the acceleration and the wind in my hair my first instinct would probably be to take the goggles off, especially on a ride in as pretty a location as Air.

Yes, I really don't like that feature on Google. There doesn't seem to be an option to say 'Closed', just 'Permanently Closed'. Winter Wonderland was 'Permanently Closed' for most of December despite the event obviously being open and I believe Islands of Adventure's Hulk is also classed as 'permanently' closed too.

Yes, I really don't like that feature on Google. There doesn't seem to be an option to say 'Closed', just 'Permanently Closed'. Winter Wonderland was 'Permanently Closed' for most of December despite the event obviously being open and I believe Islands of Adventure's Hulk is also classed as 'permanently' closed too.

I'm pretty sure that feature is from Wikipedia, not Google.

There's not an article on Winter Wonderland on Wikipedia though. I think the excerpt of text is from Wikipedia, but not sure where it gets the open/closed status from. But it can be misleading, which why I mentioned it

Like Karla said the description is Wikipedia. The other parts are from Google e.g. Google reviews etc. For the closed status it's from google maps, if you suggest an edit you get an email from google maps saying it's under review. Ages ago I changed something on a Korean address using the feedback button at the bottom that let's you edit some of the info wikipedia style.

Like Karla said the description is Wikipedia. The other parts are from Google e.g. Google reviews etc. For the closed status it's from google maps, if you suggest an edit you get an email from google maps saying it's under review. Ages ago I changed something on a Korean address using the feedback button at the bottom that let's you edit some of the info wikipedia style.

No kidding, Six Flags America was recorded closed too. Obvious Wikipedia post

No kidding, Six Flags America was recorded closed too. Obvious Wikipedia post

This sounds like a cool idea to help "excitify" a tame ride, and I'd definitely be interested in trying it out. That being said, as someone who has worn glasses for most of my life, I really DON'T like having to put something over my face / eyes on a ride. Most of the newer attractions at Universal Studios and such don't excite me as much because they are all 3-D and require the special glasses. I prefer regular movies to 3-D movies for the same reason. It is just uncomfortable to me.

I still won't pass judgement until I try one someday.

David

Given that its Merlin I don't see why they didnt just resurrect Zapomatiic from Chessington's classic Fith Dimension ride and re theme Air to that. Hell id find that a lot more entertaining and clever than essentially jumping on the Star Wars band wagon.

b3baef5bc85dc5a0847a376e77132359.jpg.c562eaeacea4206917643c53eccfcadf.jpg

Who doesn't love a bit of 80s cheesiness?

( ^^ Looking at the photo...)

I dunno. Would try it once, but not every time.

I actually like AIR as it was/is, especially with the

roll over and that swoop by the parking lot, LOL.

I'm a little disappointed, you would kinda think that when you re-brand a ride, you would make it aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Give it a nice paint job and new cars at least.

I'm still looking forward to giving it a go, but I was also looking forward to feeling like I was queuing or riding a new coaster.

Although if the rumours of a planned closure of 6 rides in 2016 is true then I won't be traveling the 400 mile round trip just for this anyway.

I'm still looking forward to giving it a go, but I was also looking forward to feeling like I was queuing or riding a new coaster.

Although if the rumours of a planned closure of 6 rides in 2016 is true then I won't be traveling the 400 mile round trip just for this anyway.

If the 6 ride closures do go ahead that will probably allow the budget to stay the same for staff and they all get sent over to Airlactica to keep the ride as efficient as possible.

Its interesting you say about with ride closures and this you won't be doing the 400 mile round trip to the park. I know at least 5 people who are not renewing with Merlin Annual Passes due to issues with all parks including Alton.