TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

^The shop has been closed down and is getting extended to turn it into a Food Loop style restaurant like Europa Park has. Plus whatever this means.

2049964624_ScreenShot2015-11-08at11_58_59p.m..png.c6e53d8c6961264f9d7b50d9164b8d28.png

Given that Airs trains are prototypes and you are forever hearing "Row 1, seat 3. Row 4, seat 2, Row 5, seat 1" over the PA I could imagine new trains being an option but in all honestly I have no idea what so ever. Maybe someone else may be able to shed some light on it if they do know.

There's supposed to be some theming elements added around the ride as well. Merlin have also trademarked the name "Galactica", so we could be seeing a change of theme to something a bit more space orientated.

Given that Airs trains are prototypes and you are forever hearing "Row 1, seat 3. Row 4, seat 2, Row 5, seat 1" over the PA I could imagine new trains being an option but in all honestly I have no idea what so ever. Maybe someone else may be able to shed some light on it if they do know.

As far as I know it's not specifically the trains that cause this, but rather the dropping floor being very touchy. This is why the newer flyers have dips in the floor instead of a moving floor!

Fireworks review

The Fireworks were definitely my favourite so far. The Enterprise was utilised well and the live actors were a nice touch. There was a good mix of music and it really cannot be summed up in words. I have taken lots of pictures though. The music was very good, and the musical highlight was the orchestral Hex theme. I do love Hex, it's an epic dark ride, so hearing it's theme remastered was pleasing to my inner fanboy The finale was awesome, and the lasers were probably the star this year.

I also got in 4 night rides which were Nemesis, Oblivion, Congo River Rapids and lastly Air. I made sure I got several rides on Air before it's transformation next year. I personally am predicting VR like lots of other people, so it could be the last time seeing the actual landscape instead of VR.

This was definitely my favourite event of the year as I couldn't attend Scarefest and I was pleasantly surprised by the queues. I definitely hope to attend next year!

I got in 3 rides on Nemesis, including one at night.

A picture of Rita, taken from the Th13teen queue.

Don't look down...

Goodbye Air!

Some of my pictures of the Fireworks.

Its been rumored Air could possibly become a VR Coaster

With apologies, but what is a "VR Coaster"?

Air was the first Coaster I took my future wife on, so there is a certain fondess for it.

This is the only VR coaster currently in existence at Europa Park.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Honestly if Air gets VR treatment the last small little speck of faith I had in Merlin will die. This is not to sort of ride that VR is needed and will kill the capacity of that ride quick. New paint, trains and some theming and I would be happy. Maybe the awesome light show in the tunnel at the start with misters like was originally planned would also be nice.

This is the only VR coaster currently in existence at Europa Park

Thanks, I get it now.

Personally I don't understand this idea of Virtual reality on a roller coaster. To me the whole point of a ride is taking in the sights and sounds and panorama of what is around me...putting a headset over my eyes to watch a virtual landscape defeats that point. I will take VR on a simulator ride, a roller coaster should remain "au naturel" !

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on Ride Rater and Towers Street that Alton Towers will probably be mothballing six rides next year. Six rides! These will apparently include the Log Flume, Ripsaw, Hex, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Driving School and Nemesis Sub-Terra. No great loss with Charlie and the Driving School, but I did always ride the other four, and Hex is such a brilliant ride!

Along with weekday closures and shorter opening times, it looks like 2016 will be bit of a weird year for the park.

They are really taking a terrible situation and making it worse. They need to tell everyone what happened and how they screwed up and reassure people all the steps they have taken to ensure that the most avoidable accident in the history of amusement parks will never happen again.

Looks at what happened to Great Adventure in the 80s...lightning loops death and the horrible fire both very avoidable incidents. The park realized that the only way they were going to survive was the admit their mistakes and pour millions into correcting their mistakes and even having the "we care about you" advertising campaign.

But why? Alton Towers doesn't have many flats as it is. First Submission, now Ripsaw? And the Flume was pretty good too. I get that they have been hurt by The Smiler incident, but removing the rides won't help the park's rep at all. If anything, shutting down more rides will give the media more ammunition.

I saw on Ride Rater and Towers Street that Alton Towers will probably be mothballing six rides next year. Six rides! These will apparently include the Log Flume, Ripsaw, Hex, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Driving School and Nemesis Sub-Terra. No great loss with Charlie and the Driving School, but I did always ride the other four, and Hex is such a brilliant ride!

Along with weekday closures and shorter opening times, it looks like 2016 will be bit of a weird year for the park.

Damn that's major news if true, especially the Log Flume and Hex. I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for its uniqueness

Decided to look on the AT facebook page and see what kind of comments people were leaving. This seems to be the copy/pasted reply from the PR team.

Hello, _______. As the 2015 season has recently ended we are still working on plans for our 2016 season. Watch this space for announcements about fantastic new experiences and exciting new developments planned for the near future!